Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stitches

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i had an operation two weeks ago and have two stitches coming out of my belly button (on the bottom). Its been healing and a bit of a scab was forming over it, but it was clean and had no discharge.

Then yesterday somebody poked the stitches pretty hard (she didnt know id had an operation) and it was really sore afterwards, then when i went to change the plaster today (i keep it covered as i have cats and im scared of getting things caught on it) there was a lot of discharge and it looks really red and a little swollen. Despite there being a lot of discharge and stuff it does look like its healed a lot more than it was yesterday or the day before.

So anyways, i cleaned around it with some cotton wool, boiled water gone cool and a touch of disinfectant and covered it back up.

So should i be worried or will it be ok?

Comments

• Options
    Is the discharge yellowy/green?
    Is it warm to touch?
    If yes, it shounds infected and you should see a doctor.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Is the discharge yellowy/green?
    Is it warm to touch?
    If yes, it shounds infected and you should see a doctor.

But on teh other hand, if no, then it should be fine :) Give it a day or so. See if it's still sore, or looks infected. It's probably just a bit tender where you got poked.