Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why does everythign I do turn into something I need to give up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've noticed everythign I do these days turns into something I've got to start giving up!

I've been smoking since I Was 16, most obvious thing to give up! I feel really bad because I smoke, my older sister smokes and now quite recently by 17 year old younger sister has started smoking - I feel my smoking may have made her think it's 'ok' to smoke. If I thought me giving up would stop her smoking I'd go cold turkey right this second!

I've been drinking heavily since I was 18 (when I got a job at an off license). I think I might have a problem but I'm only 22 and I'm not ready to accept it yet - if it starts to effect my every day life I'll address the issue.. I promise!

I've been through a hard time recently, been a bit depressed and started cutting myself - I dont reallly want to dwell on it but it seems to be something that I've started doing whenever I get down. Need to stop.

Eat too many unhealthy foods - I love unhealthy food though - do I really need to quit this and eat more healthily? I hoep not but unfortunatley the reality is yes

need to stop driving to work - it's a 15 minute walk - I'm very very lazy

need to go out more - I'm not sure if that's having to quit somehting or just something I have to start doing - see starting things isnt always bad!

need to stop leaving everythign untill the last minute

.. ok this has just turned into a list of things that I need to do with my life!

Comments

• Options
    I quit smoking a week today (Allen Carr method, no cravings, fantastic!) and I feel great - it seems to have sorted everything out about my lifestyle - I've got a gym membership and am spending a ridiculous amount of time weight lifting and swimming, my drinking has gone down, that constant feeling of lethargy has gone etc. I advise you consider doing the same, it's amazing how many of my problems were down to smoking :)
  • Options
    It sounds like all these things you feel you need to give up aren't helping your mental health. How you look after yourself physically can greatly affect your mood. Alcohol has a negative affect on your mood (once the initial high is over) and can mess up your sleep, which is essential to feel good. Exercise releases happy hormones which lift your mood. Eating lots of unhealthy food can make you feel tired and sluggish and isn't great for feeling up-beat to be honest.

Rather than looking at it from the view that you need to give up this and give up that, when you obviously feel like you don't 100% want to... See it as drinking more non-alcoholic drinks and walking more instead of drinking less alcohol and driving less. If you see what I mean?

Maybe give yourself a challenge to find healthy food that you find really tastey. I have to say I think well cooked healthy food is sooo much more tastey than the junk stuff... once you get eating healthily you probably won't see how you loved unhealthy food so much. But of course you don't have to cut it out completly. And chocolate is good for you in moderation. :thumb:

Anyway, just wanted to say you sound like you're almost ready to take the leap and change your lifestyle... it just takes a little time. Don't try to do it all at once, just give yourself little challenges each week and build it up. :)
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    It sounds like all these things you feel you need to give up aren't helping your mental health. How you look after yourself physically can greatly affect your mood. Alcohol has a negative affect on your mood (once the initial high is over) and can mess up your sleep, which is essential to feel good. Exercise releases happy hormones which lift your mood. Eating lots of unhealthy food can make you feel tired and sluggish and isn't great for feeling up-beat to be honest.

Rather than looking at it from the view that you need to give up this and give up that, when you obviously feel like you don't 100% want to... See it as drinking more non-alcoholic drinks and walking more instead of drinking less alcohol and driving less. If you see what I mean?

Maybe give yourself a challenge to find healthy food that you find really tastey. I have to say I think well cooked healthy food is sooo much more tastey than the junk stuff... once you get eating healthily you probably won't see how you loved unhealthy food so much. But of course you don't have to cut it out completly. And chocolate is good for you in moderation. :thumb:

Anyway, just wanted to say you sound like you're almost ready to take the leap and change your lifestyle... it just takes a little time. Don't try to do it all at once, just give yourself little challenges each week and build it up. :)

This is great advice - don't look at what you are giving up, look at what you are gaining!!