Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Registry Cleaners

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been looking online for a decent free registry cleaner because my PC is running mega slow and the CPU seems to be maxed out quite a bit (have run virus and anti-spyware scans) but every bloody time I download it after the scan is completed it says it'll fix about 5 problems and leave 1000 odd remaining if I don't buy it....does anyone know of any decent free registry cleaning software I could try that doesn't ask me to pay for it after raping my processing power for twenty minutes then asking me to pay? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't trust registry cleaners. A lot are spyware these days. For the ones that aren't spyware, you need to be pretty technical because one small-slip up will render your computer unbootable.

Try this for size:

1. Open 'start'
    2. Click 'run'
    3. Type 'Msconfig' when prompted
    4. In this program, click on 'start-up' tab
    5. Untick everything in that list
    - If you have an antivirus, then look for anything like ccapp, sndmon, fsm32, fssw, tnbutil or anything that resembles Norton, F-Secure, McAfee etc.
    6. Click 'apply'
    7. Click 'close'
    8. Reboot
    9. Upon reboot, you'll see a message which explained that "you have used the System Configurations to make changes..." etc etc. Just tick the box at the bottom not to show the message again and click 'ok'.