Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Contraception, coil etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have any personal experience of having the coil fitted without having been pregnant and under what circumstances it was fitted.

I ask because I have high blood pressure and I am on medication for it, so came off the combined pill to the mini pill, this didn't suit me so the doctor said I cannot take oral contraceptives, he won't allow me the injection or patches and said it was either use condoms, dont have sex or get pregnant.

I honestly hate using condoms, I know they are a neccesary evil at the moment but I don't want them to spoil my enjoyment of intimate moments which at the present time they are.

Does anyone have any advice or personal experiences of a similar nature.

Comments

• Options
    Can you tell me where it was fitted ? Your doctors or family planning ?
  • Options
    I am concerned that if I go see the nurse at my GP practice she will be as dismissive as my GP was, who point blank refused to discuss it and said I couldn't have the coil fitted as I haven't given birth. Is there anywhere else I could reasonably enquire about the service or do you think I should speak to the nurse first ?
  • Options
    I've had both types of coil fitted. I had the copper coil fitted about 7 years ago as emergency contraception. They were very worried about me not being able to have it fitted because I hadn't had a child, but there wasn't any issues in the end. Had to have it fitted at the hospital fpc that time. Had it removed because I felt it had slipped after about 3 years so didn't trust it, even though when I went to see the fpc it was ok. It was removed by a doctor at the fpc who also could fit them.

I then went on the pill and ended up with high blood pressure so was taken off it. I got the other coil fitted at this time, with no worries and no one even said anything about the possibility of problems. I had it fitted at my gp's, about 2 years ago now and love it. Don't need to think and worry about contraception, remember to take anything, I haven't had a proper period since it was fitted, only spotting. Would definately recommend it.

Most fpc's I've been to have a doctor there and should be able to fit the coil for you if you don't want to go back to your GP.
  • Options
    I'd be tempted to go to a fpc if you can easily get to one. You don't have to have tried your GPs practise and had no luck there, and if you wnat something other than microgynon you are often best off there as they have far greater knowledge.
  • Options
    I am concerned that if I go see the nurse at my GP practice she will be as dismissive as my GP was, who point blank refused to discuss it and said I couldn't have the coil fitted as I haven't given birth.

A lot of GPs are wary of recommending the coil as it's much more expensive for the NHS than the pill, and women who haven't given birth tend to have smaller cervixes, meaning it can be a lot more painful to fit. It's only been relatively recently that doctors have started letting women who haven't had children have it.

I'm a perfect example - I went three times to try to have it fitted as I'm so awful at remembering to take the pill. The first time my cervix was too small for the standard coil, so I went back for the thinner version and passed out from the pain. All in all she tried to insert it 6 times and I've never been in so much pain (God knows what I'm going to do when I try and fit a baby's shoulders out!!)

At the same time, many others are quite happy to fit you with one; just try an fpc or maybe ask to change GPs?
  • Options
    I don't really want to change GP as in all other respects its a good practice and my GP is quite nice, its just on this particular issue he stood firm. I'm in my very late 20s and don't want children so its not like I would ask to have it removed fairly soon. I'm going to see if I can get to my local fpa and see if they will offer me the coil as a solution.
  • Options
    A lot of GPs are wary of recommending the coil as it's much more expensive for the NHS than the pill, and women who haven't given birth tend to have smaller cervixes, meaning it can be a lot more painful to fit.

It depends on the type of pill and how long a woman uses it. Microgynon costs around £3 a pack per month, Yasmin is around £14. A Mirena coil costs about £100, but it's over a period of 5 years. Sadly, a lot of it does come down to funding, but do push for it if that's what the OP wants.

I had a coil fitted when I had no previous pregnancies and the dilation process wasn't too difficult. It can be quite individual. I've known women who have had more than 3 live births, but when it came to cervical dilation, the little buggers were jammed shut.

But I'd definitely recommend going to a Family Planning centre instead of your GPs. They have much more experience in fitting coils in young women than GPs do and aren't afraid of the cervix of a nulliparous woman.

You can find your nearest one here :)

Also, have a look at this page, in particular, the entries under 'myths' 'FAQs' and 'nulliparous'
  • Options
    I had one before I gave birth. Id already had an abortion though (d&c) so i told them id already had my cervix dilated for that, albeit not as much. Tbh it wasnt any worse really having it done then than it was after having a child.
  • Options
    I was toying with the idea of getting a coil but the idea of having it fitted and worrying about it not being in right. :S I dunno. So I took microgynon 30 (Which I've heard is the cheapest pill they can give you) and the first 2 months were fine. But now, in the 3 month, I'm feeling upset all the time, the only time I'm not is with my boyfriend. When I'm on the 7 day break I'm terribly bloated and just feel...deflated. I'm going to go to my GP next week and get this sorted.

Anyone else had the same problem?
  • Options
    I was fine with Microgynon, and didnt have any side effects. It might be worth giving it another few months to see if it settles down then if not asking to change the pill you take.

Thanks for the advice regarding the fpa locations I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they can fit me in somewhere nearby.
  • Options
    I took microgynon 30 (Which I've heard is the cheapest pill they can give you) and the first 2 months were fine. But now, in the 3 month, I'm feeling upset all the time, the only time I'm not is with my boyfriend. When I'm on the 7 day break I'm terribly bloated and just feel...deflated. I'm going to go to my GP next week and get this sorted.

Anyone else had the same problem?

No, in fact I'm on microgynon 30 and think it's wonderful! No PMS, an end to my heavy periods and period cramps, never caught out, don't have to fuss around with condoms - perfect! Don't feel bad on 7 day break at all, only the usual melancholia that comes when you're leaking blood 5 days solid... :(
  • Options
    The problem with microgynon is that it's the 'standard' pill they give - they only move you off it if you have problems and really push for it. Some people are fine on it, but there are a significant proportion of people who aren't.

I had my coil fitted 3.5 years ago, i've got the hormonal one (Mirena). I've had a very early miscarriage which they said would help with the process but to be honest it still really *really* hurt. Having said that, i would absolutely go back and have another one fitted and i will in 18months time. I love it, i don't have to think about it at all, and i've spotted maybe 4 times in 3 years (and even then, only lightly - not enough to use anything, more slightly bloody discharge).

If your GP isn't happy about doing it, go to your local FPA, or a Brook clinic. Also, bear in mind that you can have some local anaesthetic when you have it fitted - i didn't, but i know a lot of people who have and (obviously) that helps a lot.
  • Options
    I was fine with Microgynon, and didnt have any side effects. It might be worth giving it another few months to see if it settles down then if not asking to change the pill you take.

Yeah I thought that, the first 2 months seemed fine but now it seems to have gone down hill. But I'm not totaly sure if it's the pill that is doing this, or that it's just myself and something I'm going through. I'll need to chat away to the GP anyway. Thanks :)