Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New flirt divert number out tomorrow!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone ever given the number out or know of anyone?
I haven't before but I'm gona give it a go!

Comments

• Options
    Explain please :)
  • Options
    It's basically a phone number created by Radio 1 to give out to people that chat you up but you aren't interested in as they seem a bit weird/crazy. They leave a phone msg thinking it's your number and the crackers get aired. Can be very funny!
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh right. He He :)
  • Options
    Aaaaaaaaaah! I'm gonny use that, that's hilarious!
  • Options
    Do you people live with your head in a bucket or something? I thought everyone knew about flirtdivert!

Might just be because i listen to radio 1 on my way home from work every day...
  • Options
    Lol was listening tonight some old calls - hilarious.

Gonna try and use it at the weekend!
  • Options
    but i swear most people just text... no one leaves me voicemails hehe
  • Options
    It is quite funny, but I would not give it out myself. If I'm not interested, I just don't give my number out.
  • Options
    I agree with Katchika, and I think it's a bit cruel to give out fake numbers- much easier and nicer all round if you're honest and just dont give your number out. Can you imagine if you heard your own voice being played on radio one?! Shameful. Wouldn't like it if someone did it to me so I wouldn't do it to anyone else :)
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    I agree with Katchika, and I think it's a bit cruel to give out fake numbers- much easier and nicer all round if you're honest and just dont give your number out. Can you imagine if you heard your own voice being played on radio one?! Shameful. Wouldn't like it if someone did it to me so I wouldn't do it to anyone else :)

Thats all very nice and I do sort of agree but they only ever play the complete weird ones, mostly the people who don't sound like they would care. I've always had the feeling that a lot of them know what they are doing actually and deliberately make themselves sound daft just so they can get on the radio.

I really miss listening to Scott Mills, I loved Laura's diary...that was far more cruel IMO.
  • Options
    Think this website explains it better

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/scottmills/flirtdivert.shtml
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »

I've used it a fair few times. I work in a bar and sometimes men can be really pushy and when you tell them no they just won't let it go. I get sick of getting asked repeatedly for my number when I've plainly said no. I have the number saved in my phone as 'my number' and I let them copy it down. I'd never just use it as a joke, only when they won't let it go.
  • Options
    That is absolutely disgusting. Surely it must be illegal, you have the right to have something you didn't consent to public dissemination not being aired. Could absolutely destroy someone and make them a laughing stock if it's a recognisable voice.
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    That is absolutely disgusting. Surely it must be illegal, you have the right to have something you didn't consent to public dissemination not being aired. Could absolutely destroy someone and make them a laughing stock if it's a recognisable voice.
    Have you had it happen to you then?
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    No, and if it ever did I'd be suing the fuck out of someone.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »

If Jomery asked for your number in a club, would you give him yours :D
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    If Jomery asked for your number in a club, would you give him yours :D
    I'm not in his class..... I'm too good for him :lol:
  • Options
    No, and if it ever did I'd be suing the fuck out of someone.

For what? You'd just blag that you gave the wrong number by accident.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    For what? You'd just blag that you gave the wrong number by accident.
    Having a private message aired on national radio, I'm sure there's gotta be laws against that.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Having a private message aired on national radio, I'm sure there's gotta be laws against that.

Boo hiss, they don't exactly air your name or where your from so who cares.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote: »
    Boo hiss, they don't exactly air your name or where your from so who cares.
    People who know you will recognise your voice surely?
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    People who know you will recognise your voice surely?

That maybe so, but I doubt most people take it to heart anyway. You were pissed given the wrong number etc...... most lads lad would just laugh it off
  • Options
    :lol: I've never heard of this either, but since my cousins given me the task tonight to pull as many lads as I can I may be needing this....
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    :lol: I've never heard of this either, but since my cousins given me the task tonight to pull as many lads as I can I may be needing this....
    :crazyeyes
  • Options
    :crazyeyes

Truly don't see whats wrong with it. As has been said, it's just a laugh.
  • Options

For what? You don't own a copyright over what you've said, and everyone has the right to repeat it if they so wish. Don't want to be embarrassed? Don't say anything embarrassing, it's that simple. It's called freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Do you also believe that what someone says in private shouldn't be allowed to be aired if caught on a hidden camera (say the leader of the BNP making racist statements and expressing his true intentions, rather than those he claims in speeches)?

Oh, am I the only person that asks to trade numbers rather than ask for someone's number? That way they call you right in front of you so you've got their actual number.
  • Options

Oh, am I the only person that asks to trade numbers rather than ask for someone's number? That way they call you right in front of you so you've got their actual number.

Yeah i do that. We are the only sensible people ever to have gone out obviously :D
  • Options
    For what? You don't own a copyright over what you've said, and everyone has the right to repeat it if they so wish. Don't want to be embarrassed? Don't say anything embarrassing, it's that simple. It's called freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Do you also believe that what someone says in private shouldn't be allowed to be aired if caught on a hidden camera (say the leader of the BNP making racist statements and expressing his true intentions, rather than those he claims in speeches)?
    It's different maybe if you're in the public eye and either a role model or a potential representative of people. It's not fair to damage the rep of an ordinary person not seeking fame/publicity and just trying to go about doing their own thing.
  • Options
    Then don't embarass yourself talking nonsense to some answering machine. Seriously, it's not that hard to avoid if you've got a working brain. I know I would never blabber to an answering machine if I got somebody's number and tried to call.

I think most people would be able to laugh it off after getting over the initial embarassment. If they're sane, that is.