Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Breaks?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me And my current GF taking a break, but do they actually work?

Comments

• Options
    Don't see the point myself.

If you are in love then why would you want a break from each other? If you aren't then why would you want to be with each other?

The whole "we're on a break" thing just sounds like a cop-out to me.
  • Options
    load of rubbish, ive always seen "breaks" as the end of a relationship and just a excuse to go and sleep around.

if i was ever asked to "go on a break" i'd end it right there..
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    If you were truly in love, how could you bear to have a break.

Like Koe said, it is just an excuse to sleep around. IMHO they never work, and I would never accept someone saying we were on a break.

Split up by all means, and if you miss each other in a month, consider getting back together. But my theory is, if you are willing to split up in the first place, then it is likely there is nowt worth saving nor going back to.
  • Options
    They are load of old shit!!

I'm back with my ex after she made us go on break. She said she needed time on her own after being in relationship for 10 years, to see what she wanted. I was very understanding and allowed her to do this, I'm sort of a nice guy but I have my limits. The uncertainty of it all was eating me up inside, so i decided to end it.

Meanwhile she was flirting and having fun with other blokes but still kissing and using me for cuddles. When I said fuck it let's end it for good and I'll cut all contact with you, she soon made up her mind what she wanted....We are now back together and things seems better, but I'm still keeping my guard up!!

Anyway no I do not believe they work. Just walk away and be done with it!
  • Options
    my boyfriend was too scared to break up with me (he wasn't very good at communicating his feelings...) so he said "let's take a break and we'll see how it goes". then he pretty much tried to avoid talking about our relationship and stopped talking to me as much.. so i went and broke up with him, since we hadn't properly broken up yet.

so, from experience, i don't think they really work..

a friend of mine had a gf, they had a break after 3 weeks coz she cheated on him, then they got back together for 14 months but she cheated on him heaps of treated him like shit. then they broke up...

so yeah overall breaks usually mean a break up

it may be different in your case though, maybe you guys just need a chance to think about things and the time apart will make you want to get back together.

hope it goes ok