Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Knitting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any knitters out there?

I just started knitting on Sunday, my friend taught me how and now I'm knitting a scarf.

I know there are a least three of you on here!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I occasionally do, dont seem to have the patience for it anymore though.
    I made this a month or 2 ago. I'm not sure what to do next!

ETA was my 1st knitting every :) Its covered with crap cos I just got it out of my bag
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I love love love knitting and knit lots of things.

Check out my blog, which has become more of a knitting place.

I have just finished a bag, which I intend to photograph soon too.
    I do some knitting, currently have 2 projects underway which have come to a standstill for various reasons.

Theres a website called 'knitty' which has lots of really interesting funky patterns for different skill levels - probably worth a look!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I liked knitting, but I got stroppy when my stitches got too tight and gave up.

I threw the unfinished remains of my scarf violently into a draw, and have never looked at in since!
    I do knit, although it's not my first crafty love (too slooooooow).

This is all I have to show for myself:
    kaffrin wrote: »
    I do knit, although it's not my first crafty love (too slooooooow).

This is all I have to show for myself:

I love Fetching. It is one of my favourites. I may need to knit it again!

Anyway, I have just sorted out my photos of my funky bag. Here it is.
    Oh how I love that purse :D

The fetching is also pretty snazzy!
    Yep I do. Usually teddies, but have done the odd scarf, bag, baby clothes etc.
    *compulsive knitter*

I'm thinking of starting to sell my stuff, i don't wear half of it, and it's cluttering up my flat
    My hands are starting to hurt now from doing it :grump:

I'm onto my second ball, I bought four but now I'm thinking I should have bought more as I made it quite wide sio it might be a bit short.

The wool costs so much though, it would be better value to buy three scarfs than make one. They do have some cheap wool on e-bay though so I might try there next time. Also I ordered a book called 'Stitch and Bitch', do any of you have that?
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    My hands are starting to hurt now from doing it :grump:

I'm onto my second ball, I bought four but now I'm thinking I should have bought more as I made it quite wide sio it might be a bit short.

The wool costs so much though, it would be better value to buy three scarfs than make one. They do have some cheap wool on e-bay though so I might try there next time. Also I ordered a book called 'Stitch and Bitch', do any of you have that?

Stitch n Bitch is like my Bible. I love it :heart:

If it's hurting your hands, you are possibly knitting too tight. Try relaxing it a bit whilst holding the needles :)
    stitch and bitch is great, though if your into dress making as well theres yay i made this by Eithine farry.

loosen up, and try hand cream a bowl of warm water, and larger gauge neadles
    I managed to get another couple of balls from the same dye lot so at least I'll be able to make it long enough now.

I got mixed up with the purl / knit thing earlier so now there is a bit where I randomly change so it looks like a line or kink in the scarf but I figure I'll try to do the same thing at the other end so maybe it looks deliberate?

Hands are hurting less now (getting used to it probably) although the thing is getting a lot more heavy. I'm using mega chunky wool on 10mm needles.
    John Lewis are currently having a big sale, there are lots of yarns at half the normal price incase any of you are interested.
    John Lewis are currently having a big sale, there are lots of yarns at half the normal price incase any of you are interested.

I was there today but a crying baby prevented me from staying any longer than necessary :| But I bought more yarn for some more fetchings :D
    Hands are hurting less now (getting used to it probably) although the thing is getting a lot more heavy. I'm using mega chunky wool on 10mm needles.

That will also be the reason your hands hurt. The heavier the yarn / larger needles then I do feel my hands ache.

I would like to see a photo of your scarf when it is finished :)
    That will also be the reason your hands hurt. The heavier the yarn / larger needles then I do feel my hands ache.

I would like to see a photo of your scarf when it is finished :)

I'll try to take one and work out how to post a photo on here then! It is kind of becoming a wrap rather than a scarf as it is really wide (by accident), also I did one row knit one row purl which means it curls at the edges (I read now in that book that you aren't meant to use stockinette stitch for flat things like scarfs). Plus I keep gaining stitches by mistake.

Your blog is really good btw, I think I forgot to say that before.
    may be i should change my perception of knitting...
    is knitting cool?... :chin: :p
    yes....very :)

and star trek is even cooler! :D
    I'm using mega chunky wool on 10mm needles.
    not hardcore enough!

i'm using 15mm needles! wow! with that sindar new fuzz and a cheap turquoise wool...it's looking great so far...and i'm knitting a fake fox stole, and i've got too many knitted flowers...
    Look what my Nan knitted for me...

Nestle_Shreddies_500g.jpg

Thanks Nan :thumb:
    Would this stitch and bitch be a good book for beginers?

Or any reccomendations of that? And what size needles are good beginner needles. Once I finish my crossstitch (I don't thin I ever will...) I want to try :D
    me me me

i couldn't walk one summer and instead of doing a kate nash i learnt to knit.
    once made a circular harry potter scarf that has over a quarter of a million stitches in it - took like 5 weeks.

i have some of that noro wool but dunno what to make with it! ideas?

eta: we have a knitting soc at uni which is the best thing there is, we all sit around drinking tea, eatting biccies, doing the crossword and knitting - am ready for middle age.
    4.5mm are best for beginners, though i love huge ones and am tempted by getting 20mm...what for i'm not sure...
    My grandma tried to teach me how to knit years ago but it went in one ear and out the other just like most things at the time :lol:
    my_name wrote: »
    Would this stitch and bitch be a good book for beginers?

Or any reccomendations of that? And what size needles are good beginner needles. Once I finish my crossstitch (I don't thin I ever will...) I want to try :D

I'm finding it an excellent book. The only "problem" is that it is an American book so all the brand references are American but I'm guessing that wouldn't be a problem for you!!

If you are impatient (like me) a big size needle with chunky wool will make you finished quicker although it can be a bit heavy on the hands.

Get the book and start reading it before you start buying other things for knitting or start actually doing it and then you'll at least know what your meant to be doing from the start!
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Where can I get needles from? I desperately want to be arts and crafty

John Lewis stock them.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I bought my needles from the Range, do you have one of them Rachie?