Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So he's gone....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I presume you're referring to this.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    bad.

I feel it is a disgrace we as the British voting public, had no choice in Brown being our new PM. So much for this democratic society.
  • Options
    I presume you're referring to this.

I am, but if anyone else has gone we could discuss them as well :D
  • Options
    Some good, quite a lot of bad - largely a lot of wasted money and wasted chances. You cant deny that the NHS, schools and in large part public transport have made improvements but the cost has been alarming.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    bad.

I feel it is a disgrace we as the British voting public, had no choice in Brown being our new PM. So much for this democratic society.

The public voted for Labour, not Blair himself.

Not that Brown will last long though.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    bad.

Like when the Tories changed from Thatcher to Major then...

The way the elections work is the party with the highest number of seats form the government. The Prime Minister just happens to be leader of that particular party. The parliamentary system is party based. Not presidential like in the US.

Anyway... Blair Im not a fan but im sure he could have done a lot worse overall.
  • Options
    Good that he's gone- but then I don't know if Brown is a 'better' option so it's much of a muchness really. Will someone please crack on with fixing this unholy mess of a country.
  • Options
    I'm glad he's gone. In fact, I am positively ecstatic. I no longer trust a word he says and it's time for Gordon to reaffirm my faith in politics.

As for Blair and his proposed new role as Middle East Envoy ... what's THAT all about? It's like asking Ian Huntley to look after kids ... ! Blair is the third most hated figure in the Middle East - no Muslim country will have a iota of interest in what he has to say now.
  • Options
    Would have been great if he stepped down c.2002 or refused to go to war.

Other than that, his legacy will always be Iraq and that ultimately is a bad legacy.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    The Prime Minister just happens to be leader of that particular party.

Only by tradition, the Queen can actually ask anyone to form the Govt.

As for the OP, I was going to start a thread asking "What did Tony Blair ever do for us?" in a Monty Python-esque style. You know, apart from the minimum wage, peace in Northern Ireland, a health policy which brought more doctors, more nurses, new hospitals, shorter waiting times, an education policy which has brought more GCSEs, more A levels, more people attending University and more degrees, a successful Olympics bid, less child poverty and of course... another World Cup :)

Personally I think that he's done more good than bad, that he's tried to do the "right thing" in the main (however misguided) and that generally we are better off with him than we would have been with Hague/Duncan-Smith or Howard.

Down side is that the bad things are huge. Civil Liberties, for example, is a massive black mark in the negative column...
  • Options
    Sad, I would have liked TB to say on at least til the end of the parliament.
  • Options
    im going to miss the guy
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    im going to miss the guy

WTF?

That one I didn't expect.
  • Options
    im going to miss the guy

With a 7.62 round I hope :D
  • Options
    Overall good and bad, as most PM's are. I think in what he set out to achieve he failed. Ethical foreign policy was seen to be a non-starter (as they always our). His major reforms to public services weren't really that radical.

And with some minor changes to the Lords, the UK's constitutional position is pretty much as it was in 1997 and we're still not much closer to Europe (though I think these are good things).

That said Northern Ireland has to be a big plus point, even he was standing on the shoulders of others he could have easily slipped off. Also its hardly Blair's fault 9/11 happened and he probably handled it as well as anyone could. The economy has remained pretty stable, and whilst house prices have gone up dramtically that's not bad for everyone.
  • Options
    WTF?

That one I didn't expect.

why would u say that?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    ....and it's time for Gordon to reaffirm my faith in politics.

:lol: gordie will just pick up where blair left off, spend more, borrow more, tax more, and when everyone works out how these two clowns have buggered the economy and a whole generation, that will be their true legacy.
  • Options
    why would u say that?

Because you don't strike me as a Labour supporter...
  • Options
    I'll always have respect for Tony Blair, because of what he helped achieve in Northern Ireland.
  • Options

i dont agree with ever thing labour stands for but i do think it has done better for us then anyone before them
  • Options
    Nor does Tony Blair.

The fact that Blair often gets the support of full-on right wingers tells you all you need to know about the man.
  • Options
    On another note, don't you love the fact that the man who gave his full and unconditional support to the two most nauseating war crimes perpetrated in the Middle East in a generation (Iraq war and the Israeli destruction of Lebanon) gets appointed envoy to the region?

You couldn't make it up... :rolleyes:

Then gain, if the Arabs treat Blair with the contempt he deserves at least the West can accuse them of not being interested in peace. Quite cunning, when you think about it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    On another note, don't you love the fact that the man who gave his full and unconditional support to the two most nauseating war crimes perpetrated in the Middle East in a generation (Iraq war and the Israeli destruction of Lebanon) gets appointed envoy to the region?

You couldn't make it up... :rolleyes:

Then gain, if the Arabs treat Blair with the contempt he deserves at least the West can accuse them of not being interested in peace. Quite cunning, when you think about it.

Is that a 'no' you wont miss him then ? :p
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I thought we had some form of Democracy, ya know?

Ah well, like it'll make one fucking bit of difference.
  • Options
    It was time he was gone, but that isn't to say there aren't things he has done that deserve respect. I wouldn't say the country is in a better position now though than it was 10 years ago, which is a shame.
  • Options
    Brown might be the boy in town now, but end of the day, i still got up this morning and did the same old stuff i normally do, so he cant be all that bad can he?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Brown might be the boy in town now, but end of the day, i still got up this morning and did the same old stuff i normally do, so he cant be all that bad can he?

That's not saying a great deal is it, on his first day in the job he was unlikely to kill the first born in every family with his bare hands.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Would have been great if he stepped down c.2002 or refused to go to war.

Other than that, his legacy will always be Iraq and that ultimately is a bad legacy.

You can't know what the Iraq "legacy" will "ultimately" be like unless you travel into the future. That depends on what happens next and how historians see it.
  • Options
    You can't know what the Iraq "legacy" will "ultimately" be like unless you travel into the future. That depends on what happens next and how historians see it.

Erm...I didn't say the Iraq legacy, I said his legacy in Iraq. There's a difference.
  • Options

Exactly, you never know Iraqi could well be on the road to being the next super power - I wouldnt bet on it though.