Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Means-tested Loan/Grant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all,

Last year I lived at home with my mum and, as it was means tested, had a big grant on top of my loan.

However, this year, I live with a friend, it's his mortgage and i simply pay rent, and as such am less well off. However, after putting this on my form the Student Loans People say that its not means tested and so are only giving me the loan ... Is there any way I can still get the grant that anyone knows of?

Cheers.

Tittletattle
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think they've done that becasue you are now an independent student, much the same as everyone else, whereas before you were a dependent of your mother, so her income was taken into account. You can always apply to your college/uni for some moolah from the acesss to learning, or hardship fund.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont know of any grant to be honest but like Katralla said you can get a hardship fund, but this normally needs to be paid back.

I assume you arent at uni at the mo, so when you go back in Sept, speak to the advice centre at your union and they should know what is available for you and what the uni itself can offer you.
  • Options
    thanks xx
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I think they've done that becasue you are now an independent student,
    you're only independent if you've been living away from home for a few years, if you've worked full time, if you're over 25, or have no parents other than that you are dependent and should be eligible for means tested support provided you give your families income and expenditure on the student loan application form.

what was your grant called that you had last year?