Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sky

Once ordered, how long does it normally take for someone to come and install it?

Also, would they install it out of work hours (9-5)?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My Sky was installed on a Saturday morning.

Cant remember how long it took from ordering it to being installed though, dont think it was longer than a week anyway.
  • Options
    Once ordered, how long does it normally take for someone to come and install it?

Also, would they install it out of work hours (9-5)?

It all depends on how busy they are - there was a recent major recommend a friend offer so probably a little busy right now.

Has Sky Around 3 days ago, was presently surprised as they sent around the proper installers directly employed by them - last year it was third party guys that turn up in a white van and don't give a crap about doing a good job, they get in and out as soon as possible.

This time 2 guys in 2 vans with the sky logo on them turned up and did a really good job. Even gave us a choice of black or white cables, so we chose white cos they match closer to the colour of the walls they run the cable against.

What did you order and what was the damage?
  • Options
    Oh cheers.

They are coming to install the Sky box on Friday afternoon.

I don't get the broadband stuff sent to me until 5 working days after my BT Line has been activated though which is on Tuesday which means I can't ask them to send it me until the Tuesday afterwards and it takes about 7-15 days to arrive :grump:
  • Options
    Oh well, hope you managed to get the free Sky Plus Box over the standard one. :)
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Oh well, hope you managed to get the free Sky Plus Box over the standard one. :)

Nope :no: How do you do that? Too late now anyways.

Heres a question though, can you use someone elses Sky Plus Box as long as you've got your own card in it? Reason I ask is that I know someone who has a spare as they upgraded to HD.

We did get free installation though which saved us a bit of dosh! :yes:
  • Options
    I don't know. Does Sky+ cost more than regular sky? It's worth a shot, certainly.
  • Options
    I don't know. Does Sky+ cost more than regular sky? It's worth a shot, certainly.

Yeh pretty sure its like an extra £10er. Could be wrong tho.
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Yeh pretty sure its like an extra £10er. Could be wrong tho.

Aye. My Dad mentioned that he pays extra per month for it.

Fuck that. I don't watch much telly anyway. Its mainly for the boys in the house.
  • Options
    No, Sky have scrapped the £10 monthly fee for Sky+ now :D

But you need it properly installed as you need two Sky lines running into it..

It's great, I got it last month and it's fucking awesome to be honest! So handy, especially the pause/rewind feature.. and recording on top is just an even bigger bonus :D
  • Options
    The free Sky plus box was a recommend a friend offer - I posted about it in the Net & Tech section - two friends of mine used this to get a free Sky Plus Box + free installation.

Yep you need a Dual LNB which is the sensor in the middle of the dish - I suspect though all new installations might be at least dual to make upgrading easier.

The card needs to be matched up to the box BUT if you ring sky and say someone gave you a box don't see why they wouldn't allow you to use Sky + especially since it's now free from 1st July.

Recording programmes and watching them when they suit you is great - also saves a lot of time being able to fast forward through the TV commericals

I don't use the rewind function as it means the hard drive is constantly working non-stop recording what you are watching just incase you want to rewind.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »

I don't use the rewind function as it means the hard drive is constantly working non-stop recording what you are watching just incase you want to rewind.

So?? lol.

It just caches the previous 30 minutes of whichever channel you are watching and whenever you turn over the cache is cleared.. I don't see the problem ? lol
  • Options
    So?? lol.

It just caches the previous 30 minutes of whichever channel you are watching and whenever you turn over the cache is cleared.. I don't see the problem ? lol

wear and tear on the hard drive, wasted electricity for a function I don't need, extra noise - fine to batter your box whilst in it's 12 month warranty ours is out of that now.
  • Options
    it has been shown in quite a few studies I've read then run time of a hard drive has (almost) no effect on its life..

But fair enough.. upto you lol.
  • Options
    sky sucks anyway ;)
  • Options
    Sky are shit. Virgin Media is where its at. :thumb: