Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

sumbitch cashed my cheque!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently applied to the dvla for a car tax refund and to cut a long story short, the cheque appears to have gone to a neighbour who cashed it. The dvla are looking in to it but who can prosecute the person who cashed it, me or the dvla? I don't know if it was paid in to an account or went to some cheque-cashing place (either way it shouldn't have happened because my signature was not involved and the purp would have had to impersinate me or use fake ID) so can anyone advise?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The neighbour is guilty of theft by cashing a cheque that was not intended for them, and you should definitely consider reporting it to the police if you know who did it.

If the cheque was in your name then I believe it belongs to you.
    Report it to the police, it's theft.
    i thought cheques could only be put into the account of the person named on it now?
    i thought cheques could only be put into the account of the person named on it now?

I would have thought that too.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

You can still cash cheques. You need ID though.
    Weekender Offender 
    The DVLA (or at least their bank) will know who cashed the cheque.

If it turns out to be a cheque cashing organisation they should know (if they have any sense) who cashed the cheque with them.

Most of them have a contract with the cheque casher which usually contains a self incriminating clause regarding theft and fraud.