Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Heart or Head?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would you enter into a relationship that you knew wasn't a good idea, because you really like the person. For example, a long-distance relationship, something you knew was only going to be shortlived, or someone whose got a bit of a reputation for not being a good boyfriend/girlfriend. Or do you just follow your heart, and go with the flow. If things go wrong, just deal with it when they come up.

I've got cliches for both sides...'follow your heart' and 'look before you leap' and all that.

Do you follow your heart? Or do you be sensible, follow your head and not take the chance?

Comments

• Options
    If I properly like someone I can't help but always listen to my heart.
  • Options
    I usually end up following my heart and getting hurt. But I'd always regret not doing and wonder "what if?" if I hadn't done.
  • Options
    erm I guess I always went out with the type of guy people expected me to go out with...classical boyfriend material, good looking, intelligent, charismatic...and that was both heart and head I suppose because whilst that's the kind of guy I'm attracted to anyways I could take it or leave it, and twas always the sensible choice.

My last boyfriend wasn't like that and now I look back I can see it was kinda a rebound thing from being with a guy I really liked the one before. I mean, the last bloke was a totally fine, nought really that wrong with him, but it was certainly a case of finding a nice sensible boy who'd settle me down a bit.

Hhm then I met my current fella who is all the things I listed above but at the same time a really really bad choice on paper. Going through a pretty nasty divorce. 18 years older than me. That sort of thing. But he's the first guy where I just couldn't help myself...and he's the first one with whom I feel like we really really have something. Sooo.....my advice after that long and rambling post was.....I'd go heart. Every time. Sometimes the situation upsets me and I know if he was different he could really screw my head in because I'm so crazy about him, but I'd still choose this relationship over a sensible choice any day.
  • Options
    heart always wins
  • Options
    When dealing with yourself, use your head. When dealing with others, use your heart.
  • Options
    i agree go with your heart.

your heart wont listen to your hang ups, your head does

your head could be wrong and so could your heart but its always worht going for unless the signs are so glaringly obvious e.g twice your age 4 times divorced 6 kids split between the marriages and ex's with a history of violence and an inabillity to let go.