Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'Happy Slap' killers sentenced

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    On any other day he'd have fallen over, they'd have had a scrap, and that's the end of it. Forget the fact that he died, because for the offence it is largely irrelevant- they slapped him and he fell over. Life imprisonment for that? Be serious.

That's the key point; accidental consequences can't be treated the same as intended consequences.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    these nippers

A 15 year old lad who has just murdered someone is not a nipper. Any other choice words you'd like to use comrade? How about "those innocent children who were brutally ignored by a deadbeat artist were simply defending themselves when he had the audacity to ask them to refrain from smashing the windows to his mortgaged to the hilt house."

Fuck me, you could write propaganda posters for the soviets.

As for what good it would do making them serve longer, it would set an example to the rest of the "nippers" out there who might be tempted to assault people in the street for no reason.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    A 15 year old lad who has just murdered someone is not a nipper.

They didn't 'murder' anyone.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    A 15 year old lad who has just murdered someone is not a nipper. Any other choice words you'd like to use comrade?

Can you not se the irony there. Nobody was 'murdered'. :rolleyes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

No, they just assaulted him, and he died.

So what, if they didn't mean to kill him? They attacked him, he died.

So if I was cleaning my rifle whilst it was loaded, and I accidently shot someone in the head, that's not murder?

I'd say it. It's irresponsible. Like assaulting someone then expecting to be let off, because he died but you didn't mean it.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    So what, if they didn't mean to kill him?

You don't think intent should make a difference.
    So if I was cleaning my rifle whilst it was loaded, and I accidently shot someone in the head, that's not murder?

No. The difference between manslaughter and murder is not a difficult concept to understand.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

As for what good it would do making them serve longer, it would set an example to the rest of the "nippers" out there who might be tempted to assault people in the street for no reason.

There is hardly ever a 'good' reason for hitting someone, but some of you are being harsh- have you never punched someone? I have, plenty, and I didn't mean for them to die, and thank-fuck-fully they didn't. The result of death could not have reasonably been predicted from theplanned action of a punch, so the youths should be punished on what they did and the reasonable outcome of that- not some freak death.

If you, whowhere, restrained some 'criminal' with a pig hold or baton, and they die of a million to one condition, should you then be tried for murder?
  • Options
    I understand your point, but if you can get away practically with assaulting people even fi they die, it won't deter them or tohers from doing it again.

Accident or not, the simple fact is - if they didn't brutally assault this man, he would be alive. Punishment in accordance to the crime. He's dead, they did it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Punishment in accordance to the intention of the crime. They meant to hurt him for no reason, and that's what they should be tried for.
    When they found out he died they turned themselves in. This probably shows that they're already punishing themselves inside for the death. The court should take care of just the rest.
  • Options
    I understand your point, but if you can get away practically with assaulting people even fi they die, it won't deter them or tohers from doing it again.

Accident or not, the simple fact is - if they didn't brutally assault this man, he would be alive. Punishment in accordance to the crime. He's dead, they did it.

That doesn't make sense though.

By that logic, someone who walks up to someone and shoots at them 5 times but miracilously misses, shouldn't do as much time to someone who shoots someone and seriously injures them because the victim didn't get hurt. Attempted murder is still attempted murder no matter what. This is manslaughter, no one got murdered.
  • Options
    Accident or not

So fact that it was accidental means nothing? If I were to say boo to some old geezer and he died from a heart attack I wouldn't have commited murder, same with these lads. The only difference here is that assualting somebody is a crime where as making someone jump isn't.
    Punishment in accordance to the crime. He's dead, they did it.

It is in accordance to the crime. Manslaughter (quite rightly) doesn't carry as heft punishment as murder.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Er, well, no it's not. It may be a negligent discharge, it may even be manslaughter, but its not murder. It would only be murder if you did it deliberately.

Now I think the sentence is low, but from everything I heard its manslaughter as they had no intent to kill or cause serious injury...
  • Options

I agree.

I was assaulted two weeks ago. I dont know think the cunts who decided they wanted to beat me up "wanted me to die" but they still meant to cause physical pain to me. Hence they punched me in the face for no reason at all....

I hope the fuckers gets locked up... but through of lack of CCTV evidence (apart from the backs of their bloody hoodys) they Police dont seem to be able to do a bloody thing :(
  • Options
    Now I think the sentence is low, but from everything I heard its manslaughter as they had no intent to kill or cause serious injury...

Ok, maybe it's manslaughter... but 2 years...

And if you punch someone hard enough for him to hit the ground like a sack of shit, I think you intend serious injury.
    By that logic, someone who walks up to someone and shoots at them 5 times but miracilously misses, shouldn't do as much time to someone who shoots someone and seriously injures them because the victim didn't get hurt. Attempted murder is still attempted murder no matter what. This is manslaughter, no one got murdered.

Attempted Murder. You still do time. You tried to kill someone... these kids did that pretty much, they suceeded too.

If you assault someone, anyone, you should be aware they may die. If you don't want to take that risk, don't go about assaulting people. For all you know, they may have a weak heart, or suchlike condition.
  • Options

This was a sustained course of harassment, they followed him, they abused him outside his own house, until one day they decided to punch him whilst filming it.
    They may not have "intended" for him to die, but the fact is if they had just left him alone, he would still be alive today.
    Accidental death is leaving your handbrake off and the car rolling onto someone, accidental death is losing your balance, and pushing someone over, accidental death is just that, an accident.
    These youths intended to cause harm, upset and injury to the bloke, now he's dead.
    They are murderers.
  • Options
    They may not have "intended" for him to die,

And there it is. The difference between manslaughter and murder.
    And you work for the police?
    Intent is the most important factor here and you're ignoring it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You tried to kill someone... these kids did that pretty much, they suceeded too.

:banghead: No they didn't. It's not rocket science.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Accidental death is leaving your handbrake off and the car rolling onto someone, accidental death is losing your balance, and pushing someone over, accidental death is just that, an accident.
    These youths intended to cause harm, upset and injury to the bloke, now he's dead.

They may have intended to harm him but they didn't intend to cause death or serious injury which is what is needed for murder.

Are you saying that if you had a drunken fight on a street, went to hit someone and they fell and cracked their head on the pavement and died that you'd rather be convicted of murder and receive a life sentence than be convicted of manslaughter which is what it would be and receive a lesser sentence?
  • Options
    And there it is. The difference between manslaughter and murder.
    And you work for the police?
    Intent is the most important factor here and you're ignoring it.

They intended to cause serious injury, their sentences should reflect that. 3 years, for manslaughter is still a pitiful sentence.
  • Options
    They intended to cause serious injury, their sentences should reflect that. 3 years, for manslaughter is still a pitiful sentence.

It's more likely they intended to cause some harm, not serious harm.
  • Options
    They are murderers.

That makes me feel uneasy that coppers out there would consider this murder. :(
  • Options
    They intended to cause serious injury

You know this how?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    A 15 year old lad who has just murdered someone is not a nipper.

You are a police officer, you should know the law. Nobody was murdered. To commit murder you have to intentionally cause GRIEVOUS bodily harm, or you have to intend to kill them.

The fact that you don't know and understand the law, in my experience, is not at all surprising. Some of the mistakes I've seen coppers made my job as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

One punch is not enough to convict on murder- as you well know, it is affray at the very most. If he hadn't bashed his head on the kerbstone they'd have got 100 hours CS, and nobody would have been able to argue about that.

Some of the opinions on here seriously scare me.
  • Options
    Surely it doesn't matter what the police think? Isn't it the job of the CPS to decide whether to prosecute and on what grounds.

The police's job is to investigate what happened and if someone was killed unlawfully find out who they believe did and present the evidence to the CPS...
  • Options
    Surely it doesn't matter what the police think? Isn't it the job of the CPS to decide whether to prosecute and on what grounds.

The police's job is to investigate what happened and if someone was killed unlawfully find out who they believe did and present the evidence to the CPS...

It's the job of a gaver to undertstand the law. The difference between murder and manslaughter is pretty basic too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You know this how?

Well, unless they intended to hug him by punching him in the face, I think it's obvious.

I think when assaulting anyone, you should be aware you may kill them. One punch is all it takes - a well placed, or luckily placed blow, to a critical organ.

A good hit in the throat will kill ANYONE. Fact.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    That makes me feel uneasy that coppers out there would consider this murder. :(

don't get yourself in similar situations an you've nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    I think when assaulting anyone, you should be aware you may kill them. One punch is all it takes - a well placed, or luckily placed blow, to a critical organ.

A good hit in the throat will kill ANYONE. Fact.

It is. A solid hit to the temple (side of the head just past the ear) you could possibly kill someone instantly.
  • Options
    Well, unless they intended to hug him by punching him in the face, I think it's obvious.

No, it's not obvious they meant to casuse serious harm. Fucking hell people, I hope you never have to do jury service
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Box wrote: »
    don't get yourself in similar situations an you've nothing to worry about.

That some coppers don't understand the law properly is something for everybody to worry about.
    Weekender Offender