Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it shallow...

...for a girl to refuse to go out with a guy smaller than her?

The reason why I ask is because I got called shallow the other day for saying I wouldn't date a guy shorter than me. My reasons? One, I'm just not attracted to small men. I like a guy who looks like he can look after me and two, I'd look stupid with a smaller guy!

I got called shallow but yet the person who said that to me said he wouldn't date an overweight girl! :rolleyes:

Just wanted people's opinions on it really as I've been made to feel as though I'm a shallow person!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course not! You can't help who you are attracted to and who you aren't. Not fancying a shorter male is quite common place anyways. I think the other person is just a goon.
  • Options
    I have been known to cast my eye on the odd shortie in the past- but to be honest I'm not very tall myself so it's rare for a guy to be shorter than me. I went on a few dates with a short-ish guy and it felt weird. We were pretty much the same height but the second I wore heels I dwarfed him- which made me feel a little uncomfortable. I guess it's just a preference- like preferring blonde guys over dark hair guys. I wouldn't say it was particularly shallow
  • Options
    My reasons? One, I'm just not attracted to small men. I like a guy who looks like he can look after me and two, I'd look stupid with a smaller guy!

The first reason, no that's not shallow. The second reason is presumably linked to the first. The third reason, yes that is shallow.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think it's shallow to say you find a specific characteristic unattractive, be it hair colour, height, race or anything else. What would be shallow is if you said "There's no way I'll ever go out with someone shorter than me", implying that you wouldn't even if everything else about him was "right".
    EDIT: Plus I agree with IWS.
  • Options
    the third reason, yes that is shallow.

Why though? It wouldn't be the guy making me look stupid, it would be MY height making me look stupid.
  • Options
    Why though? It wouldn't be the guy making me look stupid, it would be MY height making me look stupid.

Do you not consider it shallow to base a relationship on how you look together?
  • Options
    When you put it like that, yes.

However, I wouldn't be happy in a relationship if I felt really unattractive being tall.
  • Options
    When you put it like that, yes.

However, I wouldn't be happy in a relationship if I felt really unattractive being tall.

Hmm, well I reckon I might feel a bit uncomfortable at first going out with a taller girl, or going out with an asian girl in a majority asian area for example. But equally, I'd accept that it's a bit of a shallow reason not to go out with someone. After a while, I'd also probably realise that anyone who did have an issue with it would be the shallow ones, not us.
  • Options
    It's not shallow to be attracted to certain things. It is however when you base your friendships on attractiveness too. To say that you can't relate to 'ugly' people is just stupid. If i'm ugly then so are you I say.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    It's not shallow to be attracted to certain things. It is however when you base your friendships on attractiveness too. To say that you can't relate to 'ugly' people is just stupid. If i'm ugly then so are you I say.

That reminded me of that Sugababes song! :lol:

I don't base my friendships on looks. I'm talking about guys I'm attracted to.
  • Options
    That reminded me of that Sugababes song! :lol:

I don't base my friendships on looks. I'm talking about guys I'm attracted to.

It's a good saying. My boyfriend is only just taller than me (he's 5ft 5) so is considered 'short' for a guy. It doesn't bother me though. I feel secure enough with him - and he's very strong (he has yummy arm and shoulder muscles) and can pick me up/carry me just as any 'taller' guy - so it doesn't really register that he's short. But as you're slightly tall i think, I can understand why you'd feel funny with a shorter guy. I would if i was tall.
  • Options
    As a bloke I refuse to go out with tall girls. I don't care what they might be like as a person! :thumb:
  • Options
    Tbh I dont think it matters when youre only talking hypothetically anyway. You just dont know who you will find attractive in the future though. You might find some short guy who you just totally click with and really like him. If you then went against all your other feelings and not give it a go just because hes a bit short, then that would be a bit shallow and stupid.
    At the moment though all you are saying is that you prefer tall guys in general surely.
  • Options
    I refuse to go out with smokers. I don't like the taste. Is that shallow?
  • Options
    I'm 6ft so very tall for a girl, I always used to say I wouldn't go out with anyone shorter than me (cos I feel like a giant anyway and a smaller bloke would highlight this more!) but I met a really nice bloke who was 3 inches shorter than me and started dating him. I must admitt I felt really awkward at first, but after a while it didn't bother me at all and if anyone commented we just laughed about it.

So I guess initially I wouldn't go for a shorter bloke but if I got to know him and liked his personality then I'd definately go for it! But overall I do feel more comfortable with a taller bloke, so not shallow just preference I reckon.
  • Options
    Do you not consider it shallow to base a relationship on how you look together?
    Oh for god's sake this is cocking ridiculous. How I would look with someone else is pretty important I'd say - if I was walking down the street with a girl 4 inches higher, or size 20 waddling when I'm athletic/healthy, it would just look ridiculous, and everywhere we'd go people would be staring, some smirking, the less subtle making nasty comments etc. How can you be happy when you're going to have to experience that sort of discomfort? I don't understand you all saying how you couldn't care less what people think when this will surely impact your wellbeing - however 'strong' you are, hearing nasty comments will hurt you.

When there's photos of people with their boy/girlfriends together, for example at balls or parties, friends will comment "Aww you look so sweet together", "You look a perfect match", "You two are such a cute couple" etc, is that 'shallow'???
  • Options
    Hey there. Here to make another thread about you?
  • Options
    I refuse to go out with smokers. I don't like the taste. Is that shallow?

Ditto. I personally don't think it's shallow to say that.
  • Options
    There's a fine line between shallowness and not.

If you're dating and you don't find someone attractive then the relationship isn't going to go anywhere. Fact of life. But if you are being ridiculously picky, and you're not giving people any chance, then you probably are being picky. If you think a guy's great but he's an inch too short, so you chuck him, then you are being shallow, but if you don't click with someone AND he's too short then you're not.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you think a guy's great but he's an inch too short, so you chuck him, then you are being shallow
    I'd class that as being picky rather than shallow. If a girl has lots of options regarding a guy and she can find someone who can match her exact desires, why settle for anything less?
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    I'd class that as being picky rather than shallow

How?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    How?
    Girl wants guy who is at least her height. This guy is an inch too short. Therefore he does not meet her exact criteria so is not considered even if he may be a great guy. That is not shallow, it is picky, and she can afford to be picky when there's so many other guys out there. It is exactly as picky as a company asking for grads with a 2.1 and rejecting anyone with a (high) 2.2 even if they're good, because there's dozens of applicants per place just with 2.1 people.
  • Options
    I'd class that as being picky rather than shallow. If a girl has lots of options regarding a guy and she can find someone who can match her exact desires, why settle for anything less?

Yeah, but you have some warped perceptions on things really.

On topic, I think it could be a little shallow if thats the only reason. Personally, I prefer dark haired guys, because of how I look its a bit weird if I go out with really blonde people (as opposed to blondey/brown haired people). Doesn't mean I discount them completely though.
  • Options
    Those are two different things though.
  • Options
    I don't think it's shallow. I wouldnt get with a short bloke simply because at my height he'd have to be a dwarf to be smaller than me.
  • Options

because in GOOD relationships, its about how you get on as a couple. Whether you make good companions for each other. Whether you click. Whether you make each other laugh, whether youre truly right for each other.
    If you dismiss someone who is fabulous for you, because of one minor detail then youre being silly, unless of course all you want is a fuck and someone you think phwooarr when you see them. In ADULT relationships its about so much more than that. You really can never know what the man/woman of your dreams will look like until youve actually met them.
  • Options
    Oh for god's sake this is cocking ridiculous. How I would look with someone else is pretty important I'd say - if I was walking down the street with a girl 4 inches higher, or size 20 waddling when I'm athletic/healthy, it would just look ridiculous, and everywhere we'd go people would be staring, some smirking, the less subtle making nasty comments etc. How can you be happy when you're going to have to experience that sort of discomfort? I don't understand you all saying how you couldn't care less what people think when this will surely impact your wellbeing - however 'strong' you are, hearing nasty comments will hurt you.

When there's photos of people with their boy/girlfriends together, for example at balls or parties, friends will comment "Aww you look so sweet together", "You look a perfect match", "You two are such a cute couple" etc, is that 'shallow'???

You'll learn what it's all about, one day.
  • Options
    I'm just not attracted to small men.

Well there you go, you can't help who you are attracted to. I could never be with someone I considered skinny. I tried it with a guy who was great in every way and I got on really well with. I really did try and 'get over it' but I just couldn't!
  • Options

No, as they comments are very rarely about individual appearances and about how the couple look together. That they look happy together, that they look completely at ease with one another, that they're fucking delighted that their significant other actually exists.

It has fuck all to do with the attractiveness of the couple and everything to do with how they interact.
  • Options
    Is it shallow for a girl to refuse to go out with a guy smaller than her?
    At first, I was slightly worried what you were alluding to. All seems to be innocuous from what I see, though... :p I can't see this being much of a problem, to be honest. From what I know, you don't exactly measure in at 7ft 3in, so I don't think you'll meet that many men who are shorter than you. :p

However, it isn't shallow. As a bloke, I'd be uneasy going out with a woman who was taller than me. That means anyone over 5ft 11in is out. It's just a male pride thing for us, and for a woman to want to be "protected" is perfectly natural and understandable.