Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nearly two thirds of all Britons 'are criminals'

LONDON (Reuters) - Almost two-thirds of Britons regularly commit petty crimes, according to a report, challenging the notion that the country is made up of a law-abiding, respectable majority.

A survey by researchers at Keele University found that 61 percent of people they questioned had committed one of a variety of crimes.

These ranged from paying cash in hand to avoid taxation, keeping money when given too much change, taking something from work or avoiding paying their TV licence.

Of those who confessed to breaking the law, 62 percent said they had committed up to three crimes while 10 percent admitted nine or more offences.

The report, based on a survey of just over 1,800 people aged 25-65, said the findings cast doubt on what politicians liked to describe as a "law-abiding majority".

"Although the middle classes are engaging in this type of behaviour, they are also eager to blame when they find themselves victims of such behaviour," said the report, published by the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies at King's College, London.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070625/tuk-uk-britain-crime-fa6b408.html

Interesting... though not really surprising.

I'm sure the same would be true of any other country.

The truth is, most of us like to pretend we're law-abiding folks but have broken the law whenever we feel appropriate.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well practically anyone who drives will immediately be on the list. I don't know anyone who doesn't speed now and again, whether on purpose or not. Most people will break laws when they don't feel it will hurt anyone.
  • Options
    Well practically anyone who drives will immediately be on the list. I don't know anyone who doesn't speed now and again, whether on purpose or not. Most people will break laws when they don't feel it will hurt anyone.
    True that.

I break the drug laws all the time. I'm not the only one to do so by any means... :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I break the drug laws all the time. I'm not the only one to do so by any means... :D

I was thinking recently that you never ever go into a shop which sells tobacco and not find king sized skins there as well. Isnt the official version that they are for truckers who need them to last longer?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Isnt the official version that they are for truckers who need them to last longer?

Dunno, I think the skins companies deliberately made king sized versions for stoners. There's no way in hell can a normal smoker be expected to smoke a full rolly with a king sized skin. Just doesn't make sense.

I break the law all the time, been caught a few times, get away with it mostly. :thumb:
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay the TV Tax if the Boss would let me.

Do all the staff at the BBC count as criminals, seeing as they are robbing filth? :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Do all the staff at the BBC count as criminals, seeing as they are robbing filth? :D
    Not to mention the Association of Train Operating Companies ;):p
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

:lol: You do have a fair point.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Not to mention the Association of Train Operating Companies ;):p

Change that to the Rolling Stock Leasing Companies and you have your motion seconded...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Everyone I would think has broken the law at some point. Impossible not to. As was said - speeding.

And yeah, king size skins. I don't think there is any way they are for anyone except stoners. I mean, if you go to the shop looking like a stoner - or looking mashed, I've noticed, say "Can I have some rizla" and they grab kings.

Then look at you funny if you request normal skins.
  • Options
    I used to walk into the shop, grab some munch, go to the till, and the guy serving would turn around for some king size rizzlas without me even asking.
  • Options
    This survey is a complete joke. Just look at one of the claims. Apparently, there's quite a lot of people who, when given too much change in a shop, will keep it rather than inform the assistant. Coming up later on BBC News, we reveal exclusively what bears like to do in the woods...