Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Purity ring

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Call me a cynic, but it sounds like a case of the the usual "look, we're the ones actually discriminated against" thing. Like "the girls have won the right to wear trousers, I'm going to campaign for the boys right to wear skirts too." It's always the same argument. Little about why it's important that they wear such a thing, and a lot about all the other religions that are allowed to wear certain things. Do they really consider it important, or are they just feeling left out because all these other religions have something and they don't?

I think there's a key point here. Personally, I don't respect any religious beliefs, but I would at least try to be accomodating. However, whilst the sikh turban and the muslim hijab are actually required to carry out their religious beliefs, in their interpretation of them, a ring isn't. The ring is simply a symbol of certain religious beliefs, whereas the others I mentioned are a practical requirement for carrying out certain religious beliefs.

Having said all that, my attitude is fuck it, as long as it's not interfering with anything, why waste all that money fighting it? Just let her wear the ring if she feels that strongly about it. Change the uniform policy to allow one ring if needs be.

the turban is required actually, not wearing one is the exception...

the hijab/nijab/ninja, theres a variation on things, none are required, but many schools allow a simple headscarf to be worn, but not full body/face as modesty can be achieved by by trousers and school jumper which are normally unflattering enough

this ring thing is liek the full body ninja outfits ie people going a bit far

personally id like some kid to try to pull one with the spagetti monster thing :p
  • Options
    Why only a ring. "This is my fasting poncho, I shall be wearing it throughout lent."

im gona get a 'slutbags' ring to advertise my moral principles
  • Options
    the turban is required actually, not wearing one is the exception...

Isn't the turban used mainly to keep the hair back and tidy and not to just hide the face like the hijab/nijab/ninja? (I could be thinking of something completely different here, btw...)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Isn't the turban used mainly to keep the hair back and tidy and not to just hide the face like the hijab/nijab/ninja? (I could be thinking of something completely different here, btw...)

yes, sikhism values the growth of hair, and the turban is one of the 5K's

theres the sword/dagger, comb/brush and some things, but its required of the religion if the hair is long enough for one

if its not long enough you just lump the hair together and put a cloth thing around it
  • Options
    Why do you NEED to advertise your principles to the whole world? I have several principles that are very dear to me but I don't wear jewellery and clothing that communicate that.
    Similar things could be said about the wristbands that were all the rage last year.
  • Options
    Just to be clear about something: pledges not have sex before marriage have precisely fuck all to do with religion; nor is any such pledge exclusive to any religion.

Therefore it is wrong to discuss this case on the merits of whether other religious attire is allowed or not. You might argue about whether pupils should be allowed to wear jewellery or other accessories for personal reasons. But it has nothing to do with religion.

I look forward to, say, a religious faith or faction of deciding they are going to express their commitment not to be nasty to their neighbours by wearing a green ribbon on their wrist. Should such thing be allowed too even if the school has a policy of no personal attire or accessories, just because they say it's a religious thing?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Just to be clear about something: pledges not have sex before marriage have precisely fuck all to do with religion; nor is any such pledge exclusive to any religion.
    I suspect that most of these pledges are broken. I would go as far to suggest that many are not serious when they make these "pledges" either.
  • Options
    yes, sikhism values the growth of hair, and the turban is one of the 5K's

theres the sword/dagger, comb/brush and some things, but its required of the religion if the hair is long enough for one

if its not long enough you just lump the hair together and put a cloth thing around it

the hair is one of the 5 ks, not the actual turban. But that's splitting hairs lol. (no pun intended)

My school has banned things before if they were getting out of hand. What about those wristbands - freedom of expression after all "I'm against racism" (who isnt?) - but after everyone was sporting them and they became a fashion accessory (as the silver ring thing seems to have become in America) the school banned them.

Really it's up to the school, not the courts. If it was very unreasonable, then fine. But if the school have made a rule then students should be expected to follow it, not have a hissy fit and moan about their human rights being infringed. You're there to learn at the end of the day. And she's left anyway.

Wearing a cross isn't crucial to the christian faith, let alone a silver chastity ring. The pupil seems to be the one with the issue, not the school.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    the hair is one of the 5 ks, not the actual turban. But that's splitting hairs lol. (no pun intended)

My school has banned things before if they were getting out of hand. What about those wristbands - freedom of expression after all "I'm against racism" (who isnt?) - but after everyone was sporting them and they became a fashion accessory (as the silver ring thing seems to have become in America) the school banned them.

Really it's up to the school, not the courts. If it was very unreasonable, then fine. But if the school have made a rule then students should be expected to follow it, not have a hissy fit and moan about their human rights being infringed. You're there to learn at the end of the day. And she's left anyway.

Wearing a cross isn't crucial to the christian faith, let alone a silver chastity ring. The pupil seems to be the one with the issue, not the school.

the thing about the 5Ks are up to the schools or courts,well is up to th school or courts depending on how they treat their uniform rules

i believe the 5Ks are part of the religion since it was founded 500 years ago and guru nanak started it and no sikh would denounce that

the headscarf for islam - is an optional extra apart from those whp pracitce wahabissm (the religion of the founders of saudi arabia)

if you want my personal opiinion, its up to the school to follow their mainstream religions and not the odd sects in there so allow the the simple head scarves, turbans, amd skullcaps and crosses and to reject things like the silver ring things and nijab because they arent standard enough

the 'im aginst racism bands are fnine to ban in a school, just dont ban the bracelts thats sikhs livde by as will honestly break their religious code - one of the 5Ks also - all it is is a copper brace;et
  • Options
    the thing about the 5Ks are up to the schools or courts,well is up to th school or courts depending on how they treat their uniform rules

i believe the 5Ks are part of the religion since it was founded 500 years ago and guru nanak started it and no sikh would denounce that

the headscarf for islam - is an optional extra apart from those whp pracitce wahabissm (the religion of the founders of saudi arabia)

if you want my personal opiinion, its up to the school to follow their mainstream religions and not the odd sects in there so allow the the simple head scarves, turbans, amd skullcaps and crosses and to reject things like the silver ring things and nijab because they arent standard enough

the 'im aginst racism bands are fnine to ban in a school, just dont ban the bracelts thats sikhs livde by as will honestly break their religious code - one of the 5Ks also - all it is is a copper brace;et

Oh I agree with you completely. I wasn't saying that Sikhs should have to remove their turbans - it is an important part of their religion. What I was saying, was although it's a minor point, it's the hair that is sacred in Sikh faith, and the turban is just a tool to keep it tidy and such, not written down in gospel or anything.

Silver Ring Thing doesn't seem to have enough religious need for it to be justified on religious grounds. There's certainly nothing in the bible about it.
  • Options
    Oh I agree with you completely. I wasn't saying that Sikhs should have to remove their turbans - it is an important part of their religion. What I was saying, was although it's a minor point, it's the hair that is sacred in Sikh faith, and the turban is just a tool to keep it tidy and such, not written down in gospel or anything.

Silver Ring Thing doesn't seem to have enough religious need for it to be justified on religious grounds. There's certainly nothing in the bible about it.

:yes: This is what I think as well.
  • Options

it is in their scripture somewhere i believe as part of our class's presentations the girl who done sikhism clarified it by mentioning the part of their book - it's an article of faith so to speak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turban_%28Sikhism%29
  • Options
    I'm getting worried that people cannot see the difference between religion and politics - dangerous path to walk down...
  • Options
    Why I hate Journalists...

. Ooops
  • Options
    Just in case no-one else has seen this:

The Story behind the story? goes into some detail about this case and mentions some slightly dubious reasons why this case may have come to court...

Prepare not to be surprised.
  • Options
    Prepare not to be surprised.

Well there's a surprise. :p Another bullshit money-making scheme masquerading as a set of religious beliefs to rival scientology itself.
  • Options
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Silver Ring Thing linked to BNP?

Okay, the racist slur is a cheap one but everyone has to get to B from A, so if B is a campaign promoting the right of Christians to display their "religious" symbol when Muslims can, why can't A be racism?
  • Options
    she might have to look for a school that would allow her to wear it.

Which school in their right mind would let her do this? I mean it's not as if the school has anything against religion - it's to do with her safety and the safety of others surely?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kind of off-topic, but:
    If rings are unsafe in schools, surely they're as much unsafe elsewhere, no? I'd think you're about as likely to be hurt because of the ring you're wearing when you're 15 and at school as when you're 30 and walking from your house to your car.
  • Options
    Kind of off-topic, but:
    If rings are unsafe in schools, surely they're as much unsafe elsewhere, no? I'd think you're about as likely to be hurt because of the ring you're wearing when you're 15 and at school as when you're 30 and walking from your house to your car.

Pretty much, yes.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sofie wrote: »
    Pretty much, yes.
    My point was that I don't see a point to forbidding rings in schools unless you forbid them everywhere.
  • Options
    if the girl really beleaves its part of what makes her then i cant see the problem,

i mean if she was 16 and got married i doubt that the school ban her wearing a wedding ring
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    if the girl really beleaves its part of what makes her then i cant see the problem,

i mean if she was 16 and got married i doubt that the school ban her wearing a wedding ring

that's different

if i want to wear a ring declaring im a slut, can i?

thats the point of a uniform, to avoid trends

and....... they cited H&S cause they didn't know how to defend themselves, when a uniform is there, to be a UNIFORM
  • Options
    that's different

thats the point of a uniform, to avoid trends

:yes:
  • Options
    that's different

not really any diffrent from the sikh turban and the Muslim hijab is it? its just a personal belief that what you are doing is the right thing for you,
  • Options
    not really any diffrent from the sikh turban and the Muslim hijab is it? its just a personal belief that what you are doing is the right thing for you,

Guess you didn't read my links then...
  • Options

didn't you read the discussion earlier?

turbans are effectively required when your hair is long enough for one, as designated by a guru 500 years ago

the hijab technically isnt a requirement, modesty is urged though.... most schools would allow a simple black headscarf to cover the hair anyway as it's nothing major, most would object to a full body coverage outfit since school uniforms are usually drab enough to provide modesty

a cross round the neck is fine, a wedding ring would be fine, so would the sikh steel bangle which is also required under a dictum of the 5Ks

a ring for a effectively a political organisation wouldn't count though, most schools allow for one simple ring normally intheir uniform, other than that it's enforced

if i was student at a secondry school i wouldn't get away with a ring declaring i sleep with anything with a pulse would i?

the point of a uniform is to avoid cultural/social trends so all parents can feel their kids dont have to be tip to toe in the current fashion all the time - and well imo that ring counts as one....
  • Options
    turbans are effectively required when your hair is long enough for one, as designated by a guru 500 years ago

so its all about how long ago something was made up then? i just think that it can mean as much to a girl to wear a simple ring as it does for anyone to wear any religious item.

i just guess it depends if you believe that religious beliefs are more important that personal ones.
  • Options
    so its all about how long ago something was made up then? i just think that it can mean as much to a girl to wear a simple ring as it does for anyone to wear any religious item.

i just guess it depends if you believe that religious beliefs are more important that personal ones.

It's used to keep the hair tidy as Sikh men don't cut their hair. (which was mentioned earlier)
    the hijab technically isnt a requirement, modesty is urged though.... most schools would allow a simple black headscarf to cover the hair anyway

Which is how it is at my school.
    not really any diffrent from the sikh turban and the Muslim hijab is it?

How is it not really different? The Purity Ring is a ring and the turban & hijab are pieces of cloth that go on the head.
  • Options
    I think it's to do with them all being accessories to the religion. You can be follow any of the above religions without the turban/headscarf/ring, but some people chose not to (for belief or practical grounds).