Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Acer's repair policy

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
We always tell our customers to back up their data on a regular basis. You never know when a computer develops a fault. Last week, we had a customer's laptop returned to Acer to have one of the internal speakers fixed. Sound was only coming out on one side, and we checked the mixer balance beforehand. The computer arrived back this week (VERY quick for Acer!) and the engineers' report read as follows - "Left speaker found faulty, speaker replaced, HD formatted, performed full system recovery". What was the point of that? If you replace a speaker, you damn well boot the computer up in its current config. If the sound is playing out through both sides, then fault resolved. If the problem was more ambigous i.e. CD burning not working and you need to investigate drivers first, then consider a full recovery.

Why, why, why?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ouch they formated because of your speakers!

Did you consent to them doing it first?

Did they back up your data!:chin:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    TBh, I've noticed it seems to be standard PC company policy to reinstall whatever the fault, or repalce the HD.

Honestly, HP do the same. Packard bell fucking did the same and gave us a new monitor for no reason! :lol:
  • Options
    Yes, Acer's terms and conditions are as follows: "Please ensure that you have backed up any data that you want to keep. Also, if we find that the fault is software-related, there will be a charge of £34.50+VAT". In most cases, the customers do (or we'll) back up their data, but it struck me as odd that they went ahead with a format, and they do it very often even for non-HD related problems.
  • Options
    Maybe they had nothing else to do!
  • Options
    Pretty standard I think to reformat the Hard Drive in Laptops at some point - when my cousin's laptop sound stopped working we first HAD to reformat the Hard Drive before they'd come pick it up and take it for repairs, In the end needed a new motherboard, my dumb cousin blew the sound card trying to connect it to a TV whilst both the TV and laptop were still switched on.