Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Redundancy

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
Who wants to give me the basics on minimum redundancy pay and time etc.

Never been through it until today :(

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    isn't it a months pay for every year you have worked there?
  • Options
    More like a week i think.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Who wants to give me the basics on minimum redundancy pay and time etc.

Never been through it until today :(

Not sure man, I think with us at 3 when they papped our jobs to India they tried to do a months pay for every year you've been there or something like that, so I'd have ended up with not very much.

Luckily for us the unions got involved and riled the fat cats, so my voluntary redundancy was 2700 quid for about six months work!

Hope you get it sorted anyway mate, it's not a nice time I know :(
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Luckily for us the unions got involved and riled the fat cats, so my voluntary redundancy was 2700 quid for about six months work!

No they didn't. We've never had a union at 3. It was an experienced team member who represented the dept and put forward ideas from everyone in the contact centre. They deliberately gave you more on voluntary so you wouldn't be inclined to go to the press about the redundancies and badmouth the company.

That aside..James, sorry to hear that kiddo. I'd advise you to start looking as allllll the jobs're gonny be snapped up quicksmart. :)

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/employment/redundancy.htm

Hope that link helps.
  • Options
    I don't know but i know how shitty it feels, sorry to hear that.

I wasn't gonna be intitled to any as 2 of my 4 years was when i was under 18 and they didn't count grr, so i found a job and left before they could.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    So whose not been checking TheSite...

So spank me...

PLEASE :D
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    No they didn't. We've never had a union at 3. It was an experienced team member who represented the dept and put forward ideas from everyone in the contact centre. They deliberately gave you more on voluntary so you wouldn't be inclined to go to the press about the redundancies and badmouth the company.

Wrong, the threat of a growing union prensce was enough to rile them, there was no "not going to go the press" clause in the redundancy package and they knew people would go to the press regardless. I know this because the "experienced team member" who organised Communications Worker Union support meetings in the basement in O'Henry's (which I attended) and leaflet handing outside the building (which I helped with) was a guy called Scott Martin, who happened to be my team leader. He knew something was up waaaaay before it all kicked off in January and encouraged everybody to join before January. My first Direct Debit payment came out literally the day before it all kicked off. Even though there was no official recognised union at 3, the growing presence was enough to put the shitters up them.

That's how everybody got thousands, it was absolutely nothing to do with them being scared of getting a bad reputation. That's from the horses mouth, trust me.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Thanks for the help guys, given me a lot to look into.

Will have to see what the company are offering next week.
  • Options
    Just to say really quickly how I understand it -

basic entitlement, for everyone - 1 months wages tax free

then if you've got 4 years continuous service or more you get an extra 1 week per year of work
  • Options
    Unless you've worked there for less than two years, OR you're under 18.

I jumped before i was pushed ;)
  • Options
    yup, my mistake - you do have to have two years to get an automatic payment
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    yup, my mistake - you do have to have two years to get an automatic payment

*does victory dance for being right*

As i was typing that, i was actually thinking 'am I 100% sure? Jim is normally right about these things... I bet he's going to point out a little known clause that i haven't spotted'. Heheh :)
  • Options
    Can I point out at this point that the redundecy payment is the ONLY part not taxable. You still have to pay NIC.

Any back pay/holiday/bonuses/payment in leiu of notice period etc due are all still taxable.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.