Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The super-rich who don't pay any tax

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If these people were being charged 98% tax, like I understand it used to happen, you could argue it is excessive and counterproductive.

But the current rates are not. And anyone who threatens to leave the country because they're made to pay 40% tax (just what millions of other people with far less money pay) is a greedy scumbag.

Frankly it depends what you think tax is for. If you think tacation is to punish the UK's rich you're probably right.

If you think its to earn the maximum amount of revenue to pay for Government services, driving the rich out of the country is not the way to do it.

It may be morally right in the short term, long term its not so simple.

For example one of the reasons Ireland is doing so well is low tax rates...
  • Options
    Frankly it depends what you think tax is for. If you think tacation is to punish the UK's rich you're probably right.
    I don't think that at all. Taxes are not there to punish anyone- they are there to provide for vital services and infrastructure. Any other definition is foolish or a smokescreen.

If anyone could speak of punishment it would be those on low incomes. The rich are certainly not being punished for having to pay 40% tax on their massive earnings. They still have immense wealth and a quality of life that is beyond the reach of more than 99% of the world's population.

The irony of it is that they're shooting themselves in the foot in the long term. A well run country with well run infrastructre and public services for everyone is far more prosperous (and therefore more profitable)than one where services are a joke and workers can't even get access to health and education. But I guess greed must be a very powerful agent that causes clouding of judgement amongst other things.
  • Options
    we're worse off off as loose £600k.

But would this happen, really?

It's an easy excuse to justify why the richer people don't contribute their "fair share" but is it the reality? Especially if it's based on earnings in this country - people like musicians wouldn't then be able to claim "tax haven" status - like Robbie Williams does, I suspect as he's living in the US - if their earnings from records sales, for example, were taxed at source. Do you think that he would just up sticks?

What about business, do you think that they just wouldn't sell things?
    For example one of the reasons Ireland is doing so well is low tax rates...

Plus huge investment from the EU.

Having said that, if the richer 10% actually paid 10% then wouldn't that equal reduced tax rates for everyone annyway? Like you said, 10% of £6m is a shitload of cash and consequently you wouldn't need to take 22% from everyone else...
  • Options
    The irony of it is that they're shooting themselves in the foot in the long term. A well run country with well run infrastructre and public services for everyone is far more prosperous (and therefore more profitable)than one where services are a joke and workers can't even get access to health and education. But I guess greed must be a very powerful agent that causes clouding of judgement amongst other things.

Bit of a hypothetical question, but say you're stinking rich, you live in the UK, but you can't stand the majority of the policies of the current government (i.e. you don't like how your money is being spent). How would you feel about someone who exploited all the loopholes, then used the money saved to invest in charities that they considered important? Would you still have same opinion of them?
  • Options
    Giving the equivalent money that they would pay in tax to charity would be a noble gesture but I still feel it would not be a good thing for the country in the long run. The interests and pet issues of a man might be rather different from the issues that affect the nation at large. If the man in question doesn't like public transport and all his taxes go to charities that have nothing to do with transportation then the country would be losing vital money to finance public transport.

If such man doesn't like public transport he should instead vote for a party that doesn't like it either, or form his own party.
  • Options
    Sorry but I don't see how you can blame people for using whatever laws they are allowed too... it's the goverments fault, not the businessmen!

They are businessmen for a reason! To make the most money they can, and the goverment fuel them to do that because in the long run their businesses etc will bring more money in to the country.

I don't think it's right that they are paying less tax than everyone else, infact I think it's disgusting, but I don't blame THEM for it, I blame the goverment for letting them!

If someone turned around to me tomorrow and said hey do you want to pay 10% tax instead of 22% I can tell you now I'd say yes, why wouldn't I?!

I think you are right in your anger Aladdin but I think it is directed at the wrong people..

Flashman's points were also very valid but as MoK said they would probably stay.. who knows.

They should be paying at least 40% inline with the rest of the high paying tax nation.
  • Options
    If anything i'd expect the "super rich" would cost less than a benefit cheat or a scrounger.
    Private healthcare, so no need for the NHS
    Private security, no need for the police
    If they get arrested they have means, so no legal aid.
    Don't have a need for a mortgage so they don't increase the national debt.
    Normally spend more, so more VAT is paid by them.
    Don't normally use public transport, so one less person to subsidise
    Normally give vast amounts of money to charity and other good causes
    e.t.c.

If I had that much money, i'd fuck off completely and go and live in the Cayman islands or somewhere else hot and British, then you'll never see me or my money again.
  • Options
    Do they ever drive on roads?

Do they ever have accidents (you will find that emergency response medics are all public not private)?

Do they ever need to be protected against crime (no, private security cannot protect them completely and in every way- think about it)?

Do they ever visit museums, parks, heritage sites?

Do they want their workers, the people they (usually) pay shit wages and who yet facilitate their being so rich, to be able to come to work and to work productively? Or do they want them to be late due to shit infrastructure and to take lots of time off sick because the health system cannot provide for them and their families?

Absolutely EVERYBODY, no matter how immensely rich they are and how little of the country's resources they *think* they use, benefits from a massive range of benefits and services that exist thank to taxes, whether directly or indirectly. Let's not pretend otherwise.

That is why anyone who cheats his way out of paying the tax they should is a thieving greedy bastard who should be put against a wall.
  • Options
    That is why anyone who cheats his way out of paying the tax they should is a thieving greedy bastard who should be put against a wall.

so we have agreed that "spongers, scroungers and benefit cheats" should be shot?
  • Options
    After we've finished with the thousands of millionaires who deprive us of many tens of billions of Pounds every year we could look at smaller fish of course... ;)
  • Options
    After we've finished with the thousands of millionaires who deprive us of many tens of billions of Pounds every year we could look at smaller fish of course... ;)

but benefit cheats are braking the law, surely we should deal with them first?
  • Options
    1.jpg
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    I know which group causes far more economic damage to the country...
  • Options
    And of course there is the fact that we are already acting against benefit cheats.

However the super-rich continues to take the piss with impunity.
  • Options
    Giving the equivalent money that they would pay in tax to charity would be a noble gesture but I still feel it would not be a good thing for the country in the long run. The interests and pet issues of a man might be rather different from the issues that affect the nation at large. If the man in question doesn't like public transport and all his taxes go to charities that have nothing to do with transportation then the country would be losing vital money to finance public transport.

If such man doesn't like public transport he should instead vote for a party that doesn't like it either, or form his own party.

Ah, but let's use the (completely hypothetical) example that your money was being used to smash a poor middle-eastern country into the ground, would you not be tempted to withhold as much money from that government as possible? Not that I'm suggesting that this is what any of them are doing of course.
  • Options

majority of them are improving their quality of life above crap, whilst the super wealthy are wallowing in greed :)

im not saying a 98% tax rate, im just saying they should pay their dues
  • Options
    But would this happen, really?

It's an easy excuse to justify why the richer people don't contribute their "fair share" but is it the reality? Especially if it's based on earnings in this country - people like musicians wouldn't then be able to claim "tax haven" status - like Robbie Williams does, I suspect as he's living in the US - if their earnings from records sales, for example, were taxed at source. Do you think that he would just up sticks?

What about business, do you think that they just wouldn't sell things?...

Yes the evidence does seem to suggest that many of them up sticks. That's why Ireland is doing so well. If every country had uniform tax rates it wouldn't matter.

And if people are getting too high taxed, they do reduce their working hours. If the business people get taxed too high they won't invest in business (the risk vs reward is unbalanced)

You could always ban people who don't live in the UK from owning things here, but that seems even more counterproductive a) as other countries might do the same to us and the UK gets a significant amount of income from abroad b) its stops mult-national's investing in here (bang goes the economy) and c) it sounds a little 'England for the English'
    Plus huge investment from the EU.

It allowed them to take the risk I agree. But I suspect now Ireland's economy could cope without it.

of course you could put it the other way round and ask what if the billions we spent on the EU were spent in the UK
    Having said that, if the richer 10% actually paid 10% then wouldn't that equal reduced tax rates for everyone annyway? Like you said, 10% of £6m is a shitload of cash and consequently you wouldn't need to take 22% from everyone else

And that's my point (I've bolded the if). If the richest people did pay 22% (or more likely 40%) you be able to manage some tax reductions (though there is a cost in them paying less for goods and services), but in reality you may loose more.

Now I'm not saying that the rich shouldn't pay more. I just think shouting 'tax the rich' is a bit simplistic and may not maximise the income UK PLC recieves.
  • Options
    Ah, but let's use the (completely hypothetical) example that your money was being used to smash a poor middle-eastern country into the ground, would you not be tempted to withhold as much money from that government as possible? Not that I'm suggesting that this is what any of them are doing of course.
    I don't think it's productive or a good idea. If everyone started deducting tax for projects they didn't like there wouldn't be enough money to do anything at all.
  • Options

Wouldn't that be the group of people who already go to prison if caught?

So, actually you argue Aladdin's point for him, Something is already being done about Benefit cheats. So will you now support action against people who don't pay a "fair share" of tax?
  • Options
    Yes the evidence does seem to suggest that many of them up sticks.

Evidence from...?

I know that we had a problem during our high taxation years, but that was an extreme.
    I just think shouting 'tax the rich' is a bit simplistic

Whereas I think that taxing the poor is the easier thing to do, and Govt s like easy options. The must be a way, it's time we started to look for that way rather than continue an unfair system with the same results.
  • Options
    i think the best way would be to change everybody a set amount each month, then everybody is paying there fair share
  • Options
    Evidence from...?

I know that we had a problem during our high taxation years, but that was an extreme..

You've just then given me the evidence ;)

Also plenty of anecdotal evidence of people moving abroad to lower tax areas.

Now if you increased tax on the middle class, very few of them can afford to move to Gibraltar or the Cayman Island, so I agree that. But the very wealthy can.

Whereas I think that taxing the poor is the easier thing to do, and Govt s like easy options. The must be a way, it's time we started to look for that way rather than continue an unfair system with the same results

But taxing the poor is not the easiest either, ie there's a cost in taxing people and the poorer they are (and the less tax you get) the less you get per person.

Now I'm not against taxing people more if they hold more wealth, however I do think its got to be at the level where we actually get in more than we loose. And I'm against the simplistic arguments of 'rich people contribute nothing, let's tax them'
  • Options
    i think the best way would be to change everybody a set amount each month, then everybody is paying there fair share

But wouldn't that mean some people ending up with hardly any money and others ending up with loads?
  • Options
    Aladdin, they aren't "CHEATING" any money out, they are doing it LEGALLY - Again, you are blaming the wrong people!

Why do people always have such a problem with people being rich? Is it jealously or what because I just can't tell.. good on them I say, they are paying what they are legally required to pay.. can't ask for more than that can you??

What do you expect them to do, ring the HMRC and say "sorry I don't think I'm paying enough tax can you increase my payment or can I make a donation?"
  • Options
    Aladdin, they aren't "CHEATING" any money out, they are doing it LEGALLY - Again, you are blaming the wrong people!

Why do people always have such a problem with people being rich? Is it jealously or what because I just can't tell.. good on them I say, they are paying what they are legally required to pay.. can't ask for more than that can you??

What do you expect them to do, ring the HMRC and say "sorry I don't think I'm paying enough tax can you increase my payment or can I make a donation?"
    You're missing the point. The tax they are required to pay is 40% on earnings above certain thresold (currently around 28k I believe).

That is what they are required to pay. The live in the UK, they work in the UK and they conduct their business in the UK. So 40%. Couldn't be simpler.

But when they employ armies of accountants to exploit loopholes; when they register their companies in tax haven islands; when they put companies' in other people's names even though they are the ones they own it, they are cheating the state, you and me of money. Even if thanks to the holes in the law and dastardly tricks they do it "legally".

For christ's sake, I can't believe anyone could actually spring to the defence to people who do such things. Do you wish you could afford to pay accountants to take advantage of the State too or something?
  • Options
    Aladdin,

you really hate being poor dont you?
  • Options
    I think it's probably more accurate to say that you hate poor people.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    I think it's probably more accurate to say that you hate poor people.

i dont hate poor people, i just dont think its fair other people should pay for them
  • Options
    You don't believe in justice, equality and compassion?
  • Options
    i dont beleave i should work my ass off to pay for people to sit at home poping out kids, living on other peoples money