Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The super-rich who don't pay any tax

So on top of the group of private equity partners who bragged about paying less income tax than their cleaners we now have nearly 400 super-rich people who don't pay any income tax at all.

These greedy bastards cost the country far, far more money than all the spongers, scroungers and benefit cheats put together. Something to remember the next time the right wing tabloids feel like having a go at.

So what are we to do with them?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why are they greedy bastards? They are just doing what anybody else would do, though you are correct to say that it is a good rebuke against anyone having a pop at the unemployed/ 'benefit scroungers' etc

There is certainly a debate to be had purely along efficiency lines, about how the tax regime might be structured to be more progressive, I know little about accountancy so couldn't really suggest anything.

It certainly shouldn't be made into a moral issue however....
  • Options
    Perhaps I'm in the minority but I'm not in the least interested in trying to exploit loopholes to pay less tax than my neighbour.

There is something very amoral indeed with it. Specially when the people in question, unlike you and me, can afford to pay the tax in full without their luxurious lifesytle being affected by it.

That's greed, pure and simple. And it's morally repugnant.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    These greedy bastards cost the country far, far more money than all the spongers, scroungers and benefit cheats put together.

how?
  • Options
    By depriving the national coffers of money of course... :confused:
  • Options
    By depriving the national coffers of money of course... :confused:

maybe, but they dont take any money out of the Nation? where as "spongers, scroungers and benefit cheats" as you put them are taking money out, so your statement that

"These greedy bastards cost the country far, far more money than all the spongers, scroungers and benefit cheats put together."

is in fact wrong?
  • Options
    Perhaps I'm in the minority but I'm not in the least interested in trying to exploit loopholes to pay less tax than my neighbour.

There is something very amoral indeed with it. Specially when the people in question, unlike you and me, can afford to pay the tax in full without their luxurious lifesytle being affected by it.

That's greed, pure and simple. And it's morally repugnant.

You don't make any effort to avoid it because you have comparatively little to lose.

I don't think it makes you an immoral person if you avoid tax, I don't think there are many people, who offered the choice between 9 million for themselves and 1 million for the treasury, or 6 million for themselves and 4 million for the treasury, would choose the latter.........
  • Options
    They should pay tax, like everyone else. It's funny how those who can actually afford to pay it, don't. Even the queen pays tax doesn't she?
  • Options
    They don't 'cost' anything as such, but they don't necessarily add to the coffers, whereas benefit cheats are actively taking away from the current total.

Surely where someone decides to pay their taxes is up to them and whatever their circumstances allow them to do?

As things currently stand there's nothing wrong with keeping money offshore and paying the tax on it there instead. If we as a nation are going to gripe about it maybe we should look at how we can make ourselves a more competitive place for the loaded to handle their finances. I think you'll also find you are wrong in stating that they don't pay income tax at all, they just don't pay UK tax.

It's also worth remembering that if they have any UK involvement that they will be contributing to the national economy in many other ways.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    They should pay tax, like everyone else. It's funny how those who can actually afford to pay it, don't. Even the queen pays tax doesn't she?

They do pay tax, just not in the UK, they'll have to pay tax on wherever they manage their finances, they just tend to go for somewhere with very low tax.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    maybe, but they dont take any money out of the Nation? where as "spongers, scroungers and benefit cheats" as you put them are taking money out, so your statement that

"These greedy bastards cost the country far, far more money than all the spongers, scroungers and benefit cheats put together."

is in fact wrong?
    No, not really. Those who cheat out of paying tax are in effect stealing the many billions of Pounds a year the country would get if they were to pay like everyone else, instead of disgustingly employing armies of experts to exploit the system.

They are no better in anyway than somebody who is illegally claiming benefits.

They're worse, in fact- for their lifestyle would not be affected by them acting honestly. Certainly not nearly as much as someone living in a sink estate who can't afford much of anything.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »
    You don't make any effort to avoid it because you have comparatively little to lose.

I don't think it makes you an immoral person if you avoid tax, I don't think there are many people, who offered the choice between 9 million for themselves and 1 million for the treasury, or 6 million for themselves and 4 million for the treasury, would choose the latter.........
    Yes... which perhaps goes to go to show that money corrupts the soul like nothing else does.

Unless you are suggesting someone would be hard-pressed to live a living on 6 million Pounds a year.
  • Options
    You're so obviously right...

Being a law abiding international business person who pays the required tax in wherever the chose to handle their finances is so much worse than being a deceiving criminal.

:banghead:
  • Options
    so aladdin its ok to steal money if your poor?
  • Options
    i have to ask, Aladdin are you on benefits?
  • Options
    They don't 'cost' anything as such, but they don't necessarily add to the coffers, whereas benefit cheats are actively taking away from the current total.
    It's quite simple, really. If they didn't exploit loopholes, if they didn't list their companies abroad even though their business are conducted here, they would be paying x amount of billions into the coffers.

Since they are going out of their away to avoid paying what they should, they are stealing that money from the country and from all of us- you included.

But carry on thinking such behaviour is any less reprochable than a bloke claiming dole and working cash in hand, if you wish...
  • Options
    who pays the required tax in wherever the chose to handle their finances
    Oh you make it look so honourable and above-board don't you...

They should be paying taxes in the UK since they conduct their business in the UK. Instead they avoid paying most of it, and then pay a risible small percentage of the rest to some offshore island.

Don't try to pass it as some businessman responsably paying his taxes like everyone else, only to a different country. It's not quite like that at all.
  • Options
    so aladdin its ok to steal money if your poor?
    Who said it was?

(there is a different argument about whether someone who is starving would be justified to steal a loaf of bread but that is not the case here).
  • Options
    i have to ask, Aladdin are you on benefits?
    Nope. Never claimed a penny. I pay full UK tax. Funnily enough as a foreign national living in Britain I could easily have looked at ways to reduce the tax I paid on my earnings. It was even suggested to me by my bank manager that I looked into it.

But I chose not to. Because I believe in paying taxes and contributing towards the common welfare of the nation.

Apparently however I'm the minority...
  • Options
    its a normal thing to want to keep your money where it is going to make you the most money, i mean you would change banks if the other bank was offering 10% interest and your bank only offered 4%

it would be dumb to pay more tax then if you moved your money
  • Options
    Surely the question is not whether they're pay too little tax (its obvious they are), but whether by changing the tax system we'd get in more or less money...

If it results in less money coming into the exchequer because they go abroad and pay no UK tax etc then you may just have to grin and bear it...
  • Options
    its a normal thing to want to keep your money where it is going to make you the most money
    No it's not. Not when we start talking about exploiting loopholes and avoiding paying taxes than everybody else pays. One thing is being tax efficient and another taking the piss.

It's because of taxes that we have infrastructures and services. They are extremely important to the wellbeing of a nation and benefit all of us. Anyone who defrauds the State's coffers of money they should be paying is making muppets of you and me as well.
  • Options
    I think you'll find it's not fraud when it's totally legit.

Possibly the better question is 'Do we have a rubbish tax system'

Answer: Almost certainly yes, and because it's rubbish and archaic in places and inconsistent these things happen very easily.
  • Options
    In all fairness, if I was super rich I would try and sort it so I didnt have to pay tax in the UK. Having said that if I was super rich I wouldnt choose to live in the UK.

:D
  • Options
    the question is how would you get it?

at the same time, it gives a reason for people to get as much benefit as they 'can'
  • Options
    Aladdin, I thin kthat your underlying point is correct. Why should I pay more tax per pound earned that someone taking home over £6m per year, for example.

however when you argue on the basis of this:
    Anyone who defrauds the State's coffers of money they should be paying is making muppets of you and me as well.

You miss the real issue. There is no fraud taking place, they are doing what the law allows them to do. The fact that they earn so much allows them to employ an accountant to find the loopholes, something which neither you nor I could do.

Therefore the solution is to change the tax laws and close many of these loopholes. If the money is earned in the UK then the taxes should be paid there, regardless of the nationality of the person earning or the company involved.

What the like of Territ seem to miss is that these people are very much taking money out of the country. They are also increasing the tax burden on the likes of us - in just the same way that the actions of benefit fraudsters do. The ony difference is that the it's a perfectly legal way to rip us off.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jesus. Some folk in this thread... made me think.

You really think it's ok to not pay fair amounts of tax, and still live here? Everyone should pay a fair amount of tax if they live here, as they use this countries services, they want the police to protect them (and thier unfairly immesurable wealth) the fire service ot put thier fires out. And I bet they'd want an ambulance if injured.

I'd let people who refuse to or think they shouldn't pay tax not pay it. Then when someone robs them I'd say "Hire your own fucking security if you don't want to pay tax. Who funds the police?".

Tossers. Tax should be income reflective.
  • Options
    maybe, but they dont take any money out of the Nation?

But they use services like hospitals, GPs. fire service, etc.

Aladdin does have a fair point.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    But they use services like hospitals, GPs. fire service, etc.

Aladdin does have a fair point.

But in total amount they still put more in - someone earning 6m and paying 10% tax pays a lot more in total than someone on 20K who pays 22%.

If by moving the tax up to 22 % and they move abroad and don't pay tax we're worse off off as loose £600k.

The answer is to tax this at the tipping point where you can maximise the amount, before people say 'sod, this for a game of soldiers'

It may be a fair point, but it also may not be the best way to bring in tax.
  • Options
    Aladdin, I thin kthat your underlying point is correct. Why should I pay more tax per pound earned that someone taking home over £6m per year, for example.

however when you argue on the basis of this:

You miss the real issue. There is no fraud taking place, they are doing what the law allows them to do. The fact that they earn so much allows them to employ an accountant to find the loopholes, something which neither you nor I could do.

Therefore the solution is to change the tax laws and close many of these loopholes. If the money is earned in the UK then the taxes should be paid there, regardless of the nationality of the person earning or the company involved.
    I know that technically there is no crime and no fraud, but it is still very wrong and reprehensible. And furthermore I just know those people know it as well.

It just pisses me off no end.

You are right that the law allows for this to happen in the first place. It should be tightened. And if any businessman threatens to take his business elsewhere there should be financial penalties elsewhere for such shameless blackmailing too.
  • Options
    But in total amount they still put more in - someone earning 6m and paying 10% tax pays a lot more in total than someone on 20K who pays 22%.

If by moving the tax up to 22 % and they move abroad and don't pay tax we're worse off off as loose £600k.

The answer is to tax this at the tipping point where you can maximise the amount, before people say 'sod, this for a game of soldiers'

It may be a fair point, but it also may not be the best way to bring in tax.
    If these people were being charged 98% tax, like I understand it used to happen, you could argue it is excessive and counterproductive.

But the current rates are not. And anyone who threatens to leave the country because they're made to pay 40% tax (just what millions of other people with far less money pay) is a greedy scumbag.