Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Abortion increase...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well obviously it didn't then.

erm sorry....did you go to my school? no. didnt think so, so dont patronise please....

we had the best sex ed we could have been given

talked about emotions as well as the mechanics, a huge empahsis was put on relationships as well

we had our own "Sex & relationships" book that we made ourselves, started at the beginning e.g who we are, how we've grown up from babies and went right on to talk about emotions (not just sex related ones) then sperm then hormones, then puberty, then babies

the teacher who taught us is actually due to have a book out on how to teach sex ed to youngsters

so better sex education isnt the be all and end all of he abortion problem, like i said, not all abortions are performed on 16 year olds....I;m not saying sex ed shouldnt be improved, but it IMO it wont dramatically change statistics and abortion rates

chances are, if you are having sex, you know you can get pregnant....i dont think many people need sex ed to tell them that
    Littleali wrote: »

I think his case (and I agree with it) is that it can't have been that great if those receiving it still went on to get pregnant at 16......

Now, what was being put across may have been very good, but that in itself is no good if i t's not getting the message into some peoples heads.
    I think his case (and I agree with it) is that it can't have been that great if those receiving it still went on to get pregnant at 16......

Now, what was being put across may have been very good, but that in itself is no good if i t's not getting the message into some peoples heads.

ok so what else can you educate on?

we were educated on

emotions
    relationships
    puberty
    masturbation
    hormones
    love
    sperm
    eggs, tubes, womb
    how babies are made
    how to stop babies being made

how do u "improve" that? it wasnt a case of "man puts penis in vagina and makes a baby" or "put this condom on a banana!

dont really think there is an awful lot left to teach to be honest?

the thing is, when you are 15, met a boy you "love", have older friends who have all "done it", if you wanna have sex, you will...regardless of what you are taught at school

i had sex at 15....but that was because i was ready...not stupid.

some of my peers had parents who didnt care where they were, what they were up to, what they drank, who thay hung around with and THATS what pushed them towards sex...NOT their lack of education IMO

i chose to protect myself because i had aspirations....wanted to be something, and a baby would have stopped that....lots of kids my age dont see a future so dont care if they end up pregnant or not. I'm not saying thats the only reason, but i think its a big factor

and i love the way people keep ignoring my other point.....

anyhoo, gettin a bit off topic now i guess...harping on about how good my sex ed was...but it was...and i stand by that! if it wasnt, more of us may have ended up young parents haha!
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    But we are encouraged to have less children.

By who? Where? When?
    Other than that, what go_away said sounds about right to me.

Abortion is easy to obtain in this country and I don't have a problem with that. The difficulty is that it doesn't encourage safe sex and can be used as a form on contraception.
    By who? Where? When?

Economic coercion.
    Other than that, what go_away said sounds about right to me.

Abortion is easy to obtain in this country and I don't have a problem with that. The difficulty is that it doesn't encourage safe sex and can be used as a form on contraception.

its a form on contraception, and if goaway can confirm it's not exactly a nice procedure after 1st or 2nd trimester but up to then it's just a medication in the main?
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Economic coercion.

In what way?

Two words is hardly an explanation of the comment you made, is it? What form doe sthe "economic coercion" take and how does it actually impact on birth rates?
    In what way?

Because of the emphasis of work these days, people need to work longer and harder to afford the high cost of living in the UK. Basically people can't afford to have children and this suites the government and companies down to the ground as there is more productivity and profits to be made. If you are going to bring up immigration, a baby child can't serve you at McDonalds or build you a house but your Polish neighbour can.

1.87 is still a relatively low number compared to anywhere else outside developed countries.

It's generally accepted that a fertility rate of 2 is needed to keep a population going on. I think you'll find that as countries get more developed and bring in more immigrants for work, fertility rates go down.
    What I meant was, no one scrutinises childbirth data (unless you're a member of VHEMT or something) like abortion data. To have a child in this country carries far less of a stigma. Unlike what a client of ours last week went through, a pregnant woman going for maternity care at her GP's wouldn't be told to, "Get out." If you are on your way in for ante-natal care, people don't harrass you outside, holding up gory pictures of childbirth. Childbirth isn't seen as inherently bad, but abortion is. When it comes to abortion, we always focus on trying to get the numbers down, or less women having late term abortions or questioning why people have abortions, because like Budda said, it's more or less seen as a moral issue. My $0.02 anyway.
    erm sorry....did you go to my school? no. didnt think so, so dont patronise please....

talked about emotions as well as the mechanics, a huge empahsis was put on relationships as well

we had our own "Sex & relationships" book that we made ourselves, started at the beginning e.g who we are, how we've grown up from babies and went right on to talk about emotions (not just sex related ones) then sperm then hormones, then puberty, then babies

the teacher who taught us is actually due to have a book out on how to teach sex ed to youngsters

so better sex education isnt the be all and end all of he abortion problem, like i said, not all abortions are performed on 16 year olds....I;m not saying sex ed shouldnt be improved, but it IMO it wont dramatically change statistics and abortion rates

chances are, if you are having sex, you know you can get pregnant....i dont think many people need sex ed to tell them that

I wish I had something like that when I was taught - I was only taught about periods (and all the stuff related to it) changes in the body during puberty and how babies are made

How is that patronising? You said it didn't have any positive effect on teen pregnancies. Good sex education is one that has a positive effect on the number of teen pregnancies and STD's. There are good schemes out there that do result in a reduction. You claim that your school's didn't, therefore, your school's can't have been as good as you claim, can it? Either that, or it is a good scheme as you claim, and without it, teen pregnancies would've been even higher in your school, which you could only ever speculate about.

The fact is that sex education of this kind is proven to work on a large scale. Just because in individual cases it doesn't work, doesn't mean that overall it isn't a far more effective system. I mean in an individual case, someone wearing a seatbelt in a crash may die, and someone not wearing one may live, but that doesn't mean that wearing a seatbelt doesn't make you less likely to die in a crash.

I think the point you make about it not being effective in your school though, may be indicitive of the main issue. There's no point in giving kids in one school this kind of education, then as soon as they hang out with kids from other schools without it, the predominant social attitudes towards sex takes over, and all that good work goes out of the window. It has to be every school in the country imo, or it won't have a great effect.
    ok so what else can you educate on?

An interesting point about the same thing in Holland was that it took a generation to have any sort of profound effect. This suggests that you're looking at parents educated in this way, then passing this information onto their kids, creating more communication and education at home, as well as the in the school. We should've done it 20 years ago, and what worries me that it's not even been implimented on a wide scale yet, so we could be looking at another 15 years before things change.
    You said it didn't have any positive effect on teen pregnancies. Good sex education is one that has a positive effect on the number of teen pregnancies and STD's. .

The same tehniques wont work for everyone, and she said she found it brilliant. it sounds a lot more comprehensive than a lot of peoples sex ed. Unfortunately it didnt make everyone not want to have kids early, but that doesnt automatically make it worthless. You have to take into account that everyone has their own agenda. These other girls could have just got pregnant DESPITE having good sex ed. They may have had other stuff going on in their lives that made them make those decisions that they would have made whatever kind of education they had.
    The same tehniques wont work for everyone, and she said she found it brilliant. it sounds a lot more comprehensive than a lot of peoples sex ed. Unfortunately it didnt make everyone not want to have kids early, but that doesnt automatically make it worthless. You have to take into account that everyone has their own agenda. These other girls could have just got pregnant DESPITE having good sex ed. They may have had other stuff going on in their lives that made them make those decisions that they would have made whatever kind of education they had.

Well that was my point. There will always be individual cases where it doesn't work, but you can't argue with the statistics as a whole. And since the statistics are where the problems lie in the first place......