Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to buy my 18-year old nephew?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My nephew has just turned 18 and I feel I should get him a present for reaching his official "manhood". It's a long time since I was that age and I don't really know what 18-year olds nowadays want. I would like it to be something useful.

Comments

• Options
    tools... :D
  • Options
    My nephew has just turned 18 and I feel I should get him a present for reaching his official "manhood". It's a long time since I was that age and I don't really know what 18-year olds nowadays want. I would like it to be something useful.

Depends on a few things really

1) How much you're aiming to spend

2) What sort of lad he is, is he a hard working educational kinda lad, or a bit of a player with the ladies, or heavily in to computer games etc... (Not saying they are each exclusive before any gets the wrong idea)

3) Your relationship with him, all well and good us suggesting a crate of beer, a 12 pack of jonnies and a bundle of wank mags as a joking "pat on the back, now your a man" kinda thing, if you have a awkward or minimum relationship with him!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    what kind of lad is he?
    Is he into his car? - could buy something for his car, but perhaps not fluffy dice ;)
    Beer (well any alcohol) always goes down well
    Does he like his computer? - he could appreciate computer games/bits and pieces for his comp.
    Does he wear jewellery?
    Does he smoke? A zippo lighter can be a nice present.

Boys are hard to buy for though :grump:
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Boys are hard to buy for though :grump:
    No harder than you women, though. All I get when I buy presents for women is bloody complaints. :p
  • Options
    Bottle of vodka and a hooker.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Both of the last 2 replies... and an 8th of weed.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    Both of the last 2 replies... and an 8th of weed.

:lol:
  • Options
    completely misread the title of this thread, thought it said "want to buy my 18 year old nephew" lol :D
  • Options
    sprocket wrote: »
    completely misread the title of this thread, thought it said "want to buy my 18 year old nephew" lol :D
    Yet suprisingly you still clicked ;)
  • Options
    Buy him some ketamine! Or a subscription to FHM and a bottle of Jack Daniels. :)
  • Options
    sprocket wrote: »

Thanks to you, that's what I keep reading it as now...
  • Options
    Or a dress watch (I know I'm being sensible :rolleyes: ) doens't have to be an expensive one.
  • Options
    Boooo for sensible :p

Repeating earlier posts depends completely on what they are like, how much you want to spend and your relationship with him.

Can't go wrong with the mandatory bottle of champers (they aren't that expensive really) then if you want to splash out a little, get a nice aftershave or something :thumb:
  • Options
    Or a dress watch (I know I'm being sensible :rolleyes: ) doens't have to be an expensive one.

Good idea
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Yet suprisingly you still clicked ;)

indeed, i could do with a skivvy to clean my house:yes: :D
  • Options
    Thanks for the offers, I think I will check with my sister if there is something he really wants or needs and will get it for him. He is the intelligent type - took loads of A-levels and may well be going to Cambridge. Something computer-related might be a good idea.

As for attracting the ladies, I can't help him on that, I'm afraid, he has to do that part himself and I don't think watches or whatever is the answer.
  • Options
    Buy him something he could use at uni?
  • Options
    A reasonable set of kitchen knives if he vaguely cooks and is off to uni.
  • Options
    something expensive for him that he's going to need in uni and cant afford to buy himself, or beer , or money
  • Options

A Keg

keg1.jpg
  • Options
    :lol: