Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

7 Wonders of the Modern World

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php

An organisation is trying to vote on the new 7 wonders of the world

What do you think, which should be included and how many of those have you actually seen yourself? - it's down to 21

I've only seen the Statue of Liberty and Stonehenge from that list

Didn't think Stonehenge was all that impressive and not one I'd cast one of my 7 votes for.

Comments

• Options
    I like the Kremlin, the Easter Island Statues and the statue of Jesus. I also like that German castle. Always used to have it in my city on Sim City 2000 alongside the Bank of China. I haven't seen any of them in real life though. I reckon the Pyramids should still be included though, since they're still standing. Compare that to Stonehenge ffs, which is basically a ruin.
  • Options
    Petra, the Pyramids, Stonehenge and a few others are not exactly 'modern' though are they? :D
  • Options
    The Kremlin, even though the picture there is actually of St. Basil's Cathedral, not the Kremlin is a breathtaking structure. Red Square in fact is generally mind-blowing.

I voted for the Kremlin, Angkor, Stonehenge, The Alhambra, Petra and the Taj Mahal.

Incidentally, since when were monuments built around 2000 years ago wonders of the modern world?
  • Options
    The Kremlin, even though the picture there is actually of St. Basil's Cathedral, not the Kremlin is a breathtaking structure. Red Square in fact is generally mind-blowing.

I voted for the Kremlin, Angkor, Stonehenge, The Alhambra, Petra and the Taj Mahal.

Incidentally, since when were monuments built around 2000 years ago wonders of the modern world?

They're the new wonders, not the modern wonders, based on the fact that most of the ancient ones fell down.
  • Options
    They're the new wonders, not the modern wonders, based on the fact that most of the ancient ones fell down.

Well they're hardly new are they?
  • Options
    Petra should definately be in there- its amazing up close.

I've seen Petra, Statue of Liberty and the Effiel tower- gonna see the Wall next year (yay!)

Wouldn't really vote for the Effiel tower....especially now that it's got that shitty light show on it at night.
  • Options
    I have been to 4: aya sofia, alhambra, eiffel tower and statue of liberty.

Does being made a wonder of the world actually mean anything?
  • Options
    Well they're hardly new are they?

New in the sense that they've never been wonders before.
  • Options
    I also like that German castle.

Schloss Neuschwanstein.
    I visited it quite a few years ago, it was built by the eccentric Bavarian King Ludwig and is what the Disney Castle is based on. Really beautiful castle in a really beautiful area, surrounded by the Bavarian alps.

Anyway, I voted for...

The Pyramids
    Taj Mahal
    Castle Neuschwanstein
    Christ Redeemer statue
    Machu Picchu
    Great Wall of China
    The Kremlin

ETA: Ok, apparantly the Pyramids are already an honoury candidate so I vote for the Colosseum.
  • Options
    I vote Machu Picchu. Since I've seen it and it's pretty damn impressive. Considering some of those rocks are bigger than people, and they had to drag them hundreds of miles up that (very high, I should add) mountain from god-knows-where. And it has llamas, which gives it a million brownie points.

I also vote for the Alhambra, because it's pretty, and because I found it so amazing that all the water fountains and things still work even though they were made before anything was invented to pressurise it properly (or something).

Aaaaaaaaaaand the Great Wall, Taj Mahal, Kremlin, Easter Island statues, and Petra.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Does being made a wonder of the world actually mean anything?

it means more tourism
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    it means more tourism

It would if it was anything official, yes. There is a pretty strong consensus as to what the 7 ancient wonders were, but there have been tonnes of the "new wonders" votes.
  • Options
    For anyone that was wondering...They've been chosen:

Petra, Jordan
    The Roman Colloseum, Italy
    The Taj Mahal, India
    Chichén Itzá, Mexico
    Christ Redeemer, Brazil
    The Great Wall, China
    Machu Picchu, Peru
  • Options
    good choices.
  • Options
    Colloseum is hardly modern now is it.

And it's not exactly in good nick either. Whereas St. Basil's is in stunning condition.
  • Options
    St James' Park ( Newcastle United's stadium just incase people thought it was another one)
    Newcastle Arena
    Wemley Stadium
    Blackpool Pleasure Beach
    Eldon Square
    Metrocentre
    My bed
    :D
  • Options
    I would have thought stone henge would be a 'wonder' as they're not exactly sure how it was built are they? I suppose it is kinda boring after 10 minutes though.