Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Books

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It still amazes me that in today's electronic age there's probably still no more powerful way for an ordinary person to change their personal circumstances or even the world then by writing a book.

Most major religions followed by Billions of people are still often led by a book and even some newer religions / cults have been started after someone wrote a book

Books are protected from being copied in law much more then any other kind of product, with protection lasting even decades after an author dies.

Any thoughts on books and their place in the world and their ability to change it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    IMO i think its a case of if something is written down on paper and published, it becomes a lot more difficult for it to become edited in the way documents that are published online can be. also, with regards to religious texts etc, i think that the followers may find some comfort in having a physical object related to their particular faith as opposed to something electronic
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Books can have a profound effect upon the world -And personally I love reading.

I think the printed word will be about for long to come. Books can be revolutionary.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Books can have a profound effect upon the world -And personally I love reading.

I think the printed word will be about for long to come. Books can be revolutionary.

hear hear
    sprocket wrote: »
    hear hear

Well that could be both a good or bad thing .. :)

But books are so ingrained in humanity ..
    DG wrote: »
    But books are so ingrained in humanity ..

exactly. there must be no electronic comparison to the feeling of opening up and reading a book that was printed (not printed obviously, but you know what i mean :p ) during the medieval period or tudor times. books are fascinating
    There's no greater force than reading something on a page and it changing your life.

Books will retain that power because you can then travel across a world with the same book in hand and effect other the people the same way.

A great phrase, parable, message, vision, simile, paragraph, description or anything else has its own inherent power - but a page carries so much force, something a photocopy or email will never, thankfully, match...
    then by, that's my contribution to the convo - 'than by.'
    katralla wrote: »
    then by, that's my contribution to the convo - 'than by.'

Personally, I think Jim is correct here.

'than' introduces the second element in a comparison.
    I think that books tend to inform high level debate more than any other media. Arguments in pretty much any academic field are done through writing books, and then these debates filter down into the general consciousness. But in terms of popular public opinion, I think that media such as television (especially news and documentaries), newspapers, and even the internet, basically rule what get's through to the average person on the street. So even though most debates are usually formed in books, I still think it's down to other forms of media to reach the greatest number of people (even if their only message is "go and read this book") and determine what debates, and which perspectives on these debates get brought into the public domain.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I have tried even downloading a book on my PC as a .PDF file. I tried reading it but it wasn't the same.

And I can't print the fucker off. Not hundereds of pages. Not at home, anyway.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I have tried even downloading a book on my PC as a .PDF file. I tried reading it but it wasn't the same.

The eye cant take in information as well on the screen as on a proper printed page, thats why it needs to be broken up into much smaller chunks otherwise people miss bits.

As for books - whats to say? They're great, from the crapest trashy novel to the greatest 'classic' they are just great - a marvel which hopefully will be around for a long time to come.
    Teagan wrote: »
    Personally, I think Jim is correct here.

'than' introduces the second element in a comparison.

I was being a dick. Wasn't Jim's post anyway. Whoops. Sorry. When I have no contribution, I should really just stay quiet!
    I was being a dick. Wasn't Jim's post anyway. Whoops. Sorry. When I have no contribution, I should really just stay quiet!

Aw, 'tis ok. You didn't upset anyone. :) Stick around regardless ... *hugs*
    Sorry. When I have no contribution, I should really just stay quiet!

Why? Nobody else does ;)
    I think that books tend to inform high level debate more than any other media. Arguments in pretty much any academic field are done through writing books, and then these debates filter down into the general consciousness. But in terms of popular public opinion, I think that media such as television (especially news and documentaries), newspapers, and even the internet, basically rule what get's through to the average person on the street. So even though most debates are usually formed in books, I still think it's down to other forms of media to reach the greatest number of people (even if their only message is "go and read this book") and determine what debates, and which perspectives on these debates get brought into the public domain.

To an extent - I still remain amazed by the fact that most people's views of WW1 are coloured by Blackadder and middle class poetry rather than the research of Peter Liddle, Gary Sheffield, John Terraine et al.

People still use the quote 'Lions led by Donkeys' despite all the evidence that Alan Clarke made it up
    I love books :D Sorry, that's all i have to say :p I have some beautiful ones :)
    Yeah books can change everything; once I got the IKEA catalogue I realised my whole house needed updating. :D
    Books- eternal friends of mine; i've met many fine people on their stimulating pages.