Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dublin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Off to Dublin next month for 4 days - Any recommendations on where to stay and what to do?

Ideally a hostel with private room for 3 to 4 lads would be good.

Be nice to meet other people our age hence why I'd prefer a good hostel to a boring hotel.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Issac butts hostel / kinlay house hostel... Both are good and only few mins from o"connell st.

Do ya's wana do any touristy stuff or is it just a piss up?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I went to Dublin a few weeks back and stayed here - it was absolutely fine (I'd heard horror stories about hostels in Dublin!) I stayed in a private room with 8 girls and we had our own bathroom. They also served breakfast, which was pretty basic but very welcome!
    My advice would be don't go, but hey if you've already booked your flights... ;) Be prepared to spend a LOT of money and remember Dublin is not representative of Ireland at all! You'll meet some right characters though, I'm sure.

The hostel Helen mentioned is the best one I've stayed in. Stay FAR away from The Avalon on Aungier St as it is truly rancid. Truly. The mattresses look like something out of a horror film. I would advice taking a silk sleep sheet anyway, wherever you go hostelling. Don't get me wrong, they can be great, but I've heard some grim stories on my travels...

The Ha'penny Bridge Inn off Temple Bar was the best central pub I found. They have live music, open mike nights, all that kind of thing... but it's not as packed to the rafters as lots of the others round there. You'll find in Dublin that they will shoehorn as many people as possible into a pub (and then be obnoxious to them when they dare to order... a drink, but that's another story) especially in summer.

The Hairy Lemon off St Stephen's Green is worth a pint or two, even though it's guilty of overcrowding on w/e nights. Plays a wide variety of music, usually does a good pint of the black stuff. I hope you like Guinness, I made it my mission while I was there to discover the best pint of it in Dublin... but I just ended up getting blotto :D

I went to a really good nightclub that was half-indoor and half-outdoor, especially good because there was sweltering heat when I was there. Summer can be really close and humid in Dublin (similar to London, I suppose) so pack light clothes. I'll find out what it was called, anyway.

If you fancy getting out of the city (I strongly recommend it) you can jump on the dart to Malahide (about 30 mins if I remember rightly). The beach is neverending and divine, loads of cute little cafes and restaurants etc. If it's hot you can just chill in St Stephen's Green... when we were there this time last summer a load of people jumped into the Liffey. I wouldn't recommend it health-wise but they looked a lot cooler than we felt :thumb:
    briggi wrote: »
    I went to a really good nightclub that was half-indoor and half-outdoor, especially good because there was sweltering heat when I was there. Summer can be really close and humid in Dublin (similar to London, I suppose) so pack light clothes. I'll find out what it was called, anyway.

That would be good - can people smoke outdoors in Dublin?

My friend and I don't smoke but his cousin may come up for the weekend and he does smoke.

Anyway we've booked 2 days in a Hostel with a Private room for me and my friend - although we still have to share a Bathroom in the hall , so that's not ideal and yeah it seems well expensive.. for a private room it's 33 Euros per person one night and 38 the next night. We like the idea of a hostel in terms of meeting people of similar age and interest, maybe make some new friends, etc.

We found another really cheap hostel BUT they have a midnight curfew so that was out.

Not a pissup I hardly drink anyway - just cos the flights were so cheap and it's good to see most places at least once in your life

We're there Thursday to Monday so could see other places - maybe do a day trip somewhere not too far by train - any suggestions?
    DG wrote: »
    That would be good - can people smoke outdoors in Dublin?

Lol what makes you think people can't?

Dublin has a wicked night life, really good buzz just walking around the streets at 4 in the morning talking to everyone. Went there last summer for a night and had a ball.

But as Briggi said, if you want to have a truer experience of Ireland you're better off leaving Dublin and going somewhere more rural.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Lol what makes you think people can't?

Dublin has a wicked night life, really good buzz just walking around the streets at 4 in the morning talking to everyone. Went there last summer for a night and had a ball.

But as Briggi said, if you want to have a truer experience of Ireland you're better off leaving Dublin and going somewhere more rural.

4am .. good thing we didn't take the Hostel then with the midnight curfew.. LOL

so which Bars / Clubs do you recommend?
    For probably the best pint of guinnes you will ever get go to Mulligans bar on poolbeg street its near bus aras....it tastes like milk...get about 10 of them into you and let dublin do the rest!:thumb:
    eek - we booked the first 2 nights thinking we'd easily find something the next 2 but looked like everything is booking up well quickly