Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Law Conversion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone done, going to do one? I think I give in to family pressure and had better start looking into this...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Not done one, but I know so many people who have. It is called the CPE and from what I have heard is so hard it is unbelieveable. It is basically doing a degree in a year, but as you dont get to do your options, and just do core subjects, I personally feel it would be a bit shit.

However, if you want to do it, and are willing to put in the time and energy then good for you.

If you are doing it for your family, it may be hard to stay focussed enough.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I give in to family pressure
    that is a crap reason to do one.
    what do you want?
  • Options
    not much. I have no ambition to do anything other than what I already do. I depend on my family quite a bit though, so it would be nice to shut them up. One of my bros did the conversion. I would ask him, but he's a dickwad! lol.
  • Options
    if you're happy doing whatever you do then stick at it.
    what do they want you to do: the conversion, then the LPC, then be a lawyer?
    its a shit load of work, its expensive, - and if you've no motivation you probably won't even enjoy it.
  • Options
    They want me to go into law or medicine. If I chose either of these options they would provide support to help me succeed because that's what they want. I want to squeeze them for some wonga coz I'm skint. If I provide a life plan that pleases them, I am more likely to get said wonga (doesn't mean I have to follow ti through though :P). I don't know if I really am happy doing what I'm doing. I'm certainly not happy with being so skint. I want to come up with some sort of life plan for myself anyway, get some direction. The tried and tested seemed to be a relatively good idea, especially when I don't have one of my own. *sigh*
  • Options
    get some independence. you can't rely on your family for money all your life and is naive and weak to think that you can.
    "law or medicine" - presumably so your folks can brag about something :rolleyes:
  • Options
    What's a law conversion ?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Doing a degree unrelated to Law then doing the CPE (can't remember what it stands for) so then you'll be able to be a lawyer.

Don't do this because your family want you to do it - do it because it's because YOU want to do it.
  • Options

If you have a degree in a subject other than Law you can do a conversion course to make you eligible to train in the legal profession.
  • Options
    ta :)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Doing a degree unrelated to Law then doing the CPE (can't remember what it stands for) so then you'll be able to be a lawyer.

Don't do this because your family want you to do it - do it because it's because YOU want to do it.

CPE - Common Professional Examination.

Katralla, why do they want you to do it? Is it more that they want you to do something, or is it they want you to be a solicitor?

Like Otter said, it is so expensive and if you want to do the LPC (to become a solicitor) that is another £8000 or the BVC (barrister) is about the same.

Let me know if you want to know anything about it.
  • Options
    Are you going to be a lawyer/barrister then Bunnie ?
  • Options
    Are you going to be a lawyer/barrister then Bunnie ?

I am going to be a solicitor...if anyone wants to give me a job :p

You going to be a client Rubber? ;)
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    You going to be a client Rubber? ;)

If you want to solicit me, i'm all for it :naughty:
  • Options
    te he. trust rubberskin. No, they don't want me to do just anything. It has to be either law or medicine. They are a bit funny like that. I will be the last of the cousins except for one to qualify in either of these areas. The other one is one of my bros, who's a bit thick so they've just shipped him off to train him in IT. I nearly decided to quit my family, to fuck them off completely and never talk to them again, didn't want to make a scene because my brother's wedding was coming up and I guess it was important to be united and not the black sheep of the family AGAIN. Somehow I just got sucked back into it all, and all of them, and bah, I don't know. I feel their shame over me. that gets me down. Life sucks a little bit.
  • Options
    Not done one, but I know so many people who have. It is called the CPE and from what I have heard is so hard it is unbelieveable. It is basically doing a degree in a year, but as you dont get to do your options, and just do core subjects, I personally feel it would be a bit shit.

Ewww. All the core subjects in one year?!

That sounds like hell.
  • Options
    Ewww. All the core subjects in one year?!

That sounds like hell.

yep, land, equity and trusts, and tort and contract with a bit of criminal thrown in! Oh not to forget foundations...
  • Options
    I lived with 2 people studying law last year and that was enough to put me off the subject! Nutshells and Slapper and Kelly seemed to be important points of reference? The best way to fund any conversion course would be apply for a training contract and then the firm would pay for it, but that's also really competitive.
    I think your heart really has to be in law to enjoy it; you can't just do something because everyone else in the family has done the same...
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    I lived with 2 people studying law last year and that was enough to put me off the subject! Nutshells and Slapper and Kelly seemed to be important points of reference? The best way to fund any conversion course would be apply for a training contract and then the firm would pay for it, but that's also really competitive.
    I think your heart really has to be in law to enjoy it; you can't just do something because everyone else in the family has done the same...

Nutshells!! How I passed my degree! :lol:

They should be on the reading list at all unis when doing law!
  • Options
    I'm hoping to do the law conversion after I've finished my foundation years, but I've prepared myself that it's really a year of rote learning and some not-always-fun core subjects...
  • Options
    Must be nice being able to take law classes right away [/woe is me]
  • Options
    Hey, I don't usually post here, but I saw this and thought I'd give you my 2 cents as I've just finished my law conversion.

Well, I guess the first thing to say is that law and medicine are very different and it's not easy to switch between the two. Have a think about what you like studying and what you're good at. Do you want an office job? Do you like the sciences? Do you like caring for people? Are you interested in business? Do you think that the law has an important role in our society: would you like to help uphold it?

It's really important that you know which you would prefer and which you are more committed to. These are not careers that you should get into on a whim: law and medicine require lots of expensive studying and it would be awful to get the to university (or law/medicine conversion) and realise that you have made a horrible mistake.

With regard to the law conversion: it is easy to get on to the course, it is very hard to get a job (aka training contract.) I assume from your post that you are already at university (otherwise you'd be asking about a law degree..). The important things about your degree are:
    1. you need a 2:1. It is possible to get a job with a 2:2 but it will require an incredible amount of work and a good reason as to why you didn't get a 2:1
    2. it should be an 'academic' degree really: e.g. History, English, Maths. Media Studies etc are not really suitable for law.
    3. If you want to go to a big firm, you should have gone to a 'good' university. By this, think Russell Group.

Additionally, you will normally need minimum ABB 'A' levels. This might seem harsh, but law, especially commercial law is unbelievably competitive. Firms will get 2000+ applications for 80 or so jobs. I assume high street firms get less, but the ratio of applications to jobs is probably not much better.

The course itself is quite a lot of work, but doesn't require very much 'original thinking'. You are given all your lecture notes etc. You just have to work hard into to be able to memorise it, and then apply it. It's not really think kind of thing that you can cram very successfully as there is just so much to learn.

What I'm really saying, I guess, is make sure you know what you're getting into. There are many many very good aspiring lawyers out there: if you aren't 100% committed it is much harder to get a job.
  • Options
    Nutshells!! How I passed my degree! :lol:

They should be on the reading list at all unis when doing law!

Haha, I had a nutshells book for Trusts & Equity and Land Law this year. I used to read those before reading the big books!

My core modules at Uni werrreee Contract Law, The Law of Torts, Constitutional & Administrative Law, European Union Law, Criminal Law, Trusts & Equity and Land Law. I thought it was bad having to do 2 core modules a year. I cannot imagine doing all those at the same time :shocking:
  • Options
    I cannot imagine doing all those at the same time :shocking:

were your options more 'fun' then?
  • Options
    Have been into the local law school today, some useful bits of info. Still don't know what I'm going to do. Going up to Uni to see my subject tutor next week so... I still have options open and no real idea of what I'm going to do yet.

Thanks for all the replies.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    were your options more 'fun' then?

I had some 'fun' options so to speak throughout my degree, e.g family, medical and criminology, but doing the CPE you don't get to chose any extra topics that may interest you and that is why I would think it would be so depressing.

The core modules are THE most boring areas you could imagine. Except Crime, that was always a good 'un.

Let us know how you get on Katralla, but remember do it for you, not anyone else.
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    If you have a degree in a subject other than Law you can do a conversion course to make you eligible to train in the legal profession.

Doesn't that kinda devalue law as a degree?

If there's one thing the world doesn't need it's more lawyers.
  • Options
    Doesn't that kinda devalue law as a degree?

No, cos if you've got a law degree you don't have to do a conversion course - you can go straight in to doing your LPC, i think. The conversion is for people who have a degree in something else and then decide they want to be a lawyer.
  • Options
    No, cos if you've got a law degree you don't have to do a conversion course - you can go straight in to doing your LPC, i think. The conversion is for people who have a degree in something else and then decide they want to be a lawyer.

No sorry, what I meant, and probably didn't phrase it very well, was doesn't it devalue a law degree if people can do in the one-year conversion course what people who studied law took 3 years to do?
  • Options
    No sorry, what I meant, and probably didn't phrase it very well, was doesn't it devalue a law degree if people can do in the one-year conversion course what people who studied law took 3 years to do?

Oh, i see. Yeah, possibly, but at the end of the day, they've still got a degree from it and the conversion course doesn't count as one. I would imagine the people with law degrees have a larger breadth of knowledge too.