Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Blood Diamond

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
My mate brought back some DVDs from the US and I nicked a couple off him last night, one being Blood Diamond.

This film is brilliant, probably the best film Leonard Di Caprio has done. It comes out in the UK on DVD on the 18th of June, well worth the buy I'd say. An eye opener for those who don't know the score with diamonds and Africa.
A story following Archer, a man tortured by his roots. With a strong survival instinct, he has made himself a key player in the business of conflict diamonds. Political unrest is rampant in Sierra Leone as people fight tooth for tooth. Upon meeting Solomon, and the beautiful Maddy, Archer's life changes forever as he is given a chance to make peace with the war around him. Written by Miist

In 1999, in Sierra Leone, the fisherman Solomon Vandy dreams on the day that his young son Dia Vandy will become a doctor. His dreams are shattered when the rebels invade his village and kidnap him to work in the diamond mines. Solomon finds a huge pink diamond and while hiding it, the commandant of the rebels sees, but the rebels are attacked and Salomon is arrested by the government army. While in jail, the wounded commandant tell the prisoners that Salomon found the stone, and the mercenary smuggler Danny Archer from Zimbabwe releases Salomon and proposes to exchange the diamond by his missing family. Using the idealistic American journalist Maddy Bowen, Danny locates the wife and daughters of Salomon in a refugee camp, but is informed that his son has been recruited by the rebels. Salomon and Danny consolidate a partnership, with Salomon looking for and finding his son, and Danny looking for the diamond and finding redemption. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Set against the backdrop of civil war and chaos in 1990's Sierra Leone, Blood Diamond is the story of Danny Archer (Leonardo DiCaprio) - an ex Mercenary from Zimbabwe - and Solomon Vandy (Djimon Hounsou) - a Mende fisherman. Both men are African, but their histories as different as any can be, until their fates become joined in a common quest to recover a rare pink diamond that can transform their lives. While in prison for smuggling, Archer learns that Solomon - who was taken from his family and forced to work in the diamond fields - has found and hidden the extraordinary rough stone. With the help of Maddy Bowen (Jennifer Connelly), an American journalist whose idealism is tempered by a deepening connection with Archer, the two men embark on a trek through rebel territory, a journey that could save Solomon's family and give Archer the second chance he thought he would never have. Written by Production

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xKgn0bqD66M
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Saw it about a month ago on DVD. A good film, not a great film.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i watched it last night in a moment of boredom too :)
    was good!!

wouldnt say its the BEST film ive seen recently, but yeah i liked it!!
    i liked the solomon guy.. good actor
    Didn't realise a Brit actor was in it, Danny Harewood, he was that Poison bloke, wasn't he in Spooks?
    seen it, loved it.
    I thought it was good, I don't however think it's a patch on one of the directors previous films - Glory, which is a huge favourite of mine
    Jim V wrote: »
    Glory, which is a huge favourite of mine

Possibly the best Broderick film too.

Ignoring Ferris Bueller of course :)
    Possibly the best Broderick film too.

Ignoring Ferris Bueller of course :)

Glory is amrvellous, but Election pips it as a Matthew Broderick film.

But yeah that Blood Diamonds looks like it'll be entertaining.