Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Things to take to Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey!!

I got my room and flat number through for university last week and am getitn so excited!!! Every time i think about it i just wanna go now!! I know a few people in my block and were all excited. So in order to aid my excitation, I have decided to make a list of things I need to buy/bring to uni! I can think of the normal things, like food, clothes, CD's, Saucepans etc but I would like to see if everyone on here has any good advice on things to bring that you wouldnt know you needed until you got there. I know some people have said on the sticky, but i thought id make a more specific thread!

Thanks

Jenni x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You might some lists on some of the forum websites.
  • Options
    Theres a sticky top of the forum page. Should give you the information you need. Advice for those going to uni for the first time
  • Options
    Yeah, but a nice list all in one place is handy too.

Posters, blue tak, drawing pins, tea bags, pint of milk, bottle of wine, and a packet or two of biscuits.
  • Options
    Phone charger! Friends' numbers and msn addresses. Cry into teddy for those nights when it just feels wrong and only Ellie bear will understand your tears. Yes, I have an Ellie bear and she's called Ellie... lol
  • Options
    Yup, my teddy definitely comes with me. Makes the room look more like a home too.
  • Options
    The only thing that I brought far too many of was Tupperware boxes. Even now, I still can't get rid of them!
  • Options
    My best thing I bought in a shop on campus for about £4 was a photo holder... a long length of metal cable with a hook at one end and weight at the other which you hang or Blu-tack to the wall/curtain rail, and ten tiny strong magnets hold up ten well-selected photos of your gorgeous friends/self etc :) Really nifty thing, shame I lost two of the magnets so it can only hold 8 pics now!
  • Options
    That's a really good list. I'd draw attention to extension lead extension lead extension lead extension lead.......

With the multi gang ending.

Also some of the stuff from the first aid bit on that list. Take some of whatever you have at home for coldy/fluey type things/headaches/sore throats because you don't want to have to go pharmacy hunting when you feel like death!
  • Options
    Pot noodle
  • Options
    Loo roll :yes:
  • Options
    Loo roll :yes:
    :yes: and towels, i dont live in halls but im at my mates' practically all the time and there are never enough of either of these!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Make sure you dont just take 1 bowl, plate, knife, fork etc. Believe me, if you are hungover and your plate has last nights tea on it, you will thank me!
  • Options
    And towels big enough to walk down a corrirdoor in whilst maintaining your dignity. That or a fluffy dressing gown.
  • Options
    And towels big enough to walk down a corrirdoor in whilst maintaining your dignity. That or a fluffy dressing gown.

:yes: Definitely. I worked this out pretty soon and bought new towels :o
  • Options
    Take a variety of clothes. That is, don't just bring loads of pairs of jeans and t-shirts.
  • Options
    Take some snacks and cans of coke for the first few days, that way if you are really busy or the kitchen is full you will have something quick to munch on.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Make sure you dont just take 1 bowl, plate, knife, fork etc. Believe me, if you are hungover and your plate has last nights tea on it, you will thank me!
    :eek2: Last night's tea on a plate? I've missed something here. What on earth did you get up to in Scouse Land over those three years? :p
  • Options
    You can never, ever have enough extension leads. Especially when your room only has one socket :mad:
    There are some things you might be able to get away with not buying - I was the last person to move out of our uni house today and the sheer amount of bottle openers, can openers, cheese graters etc that were left behind was unreal. If you're one of these people who dislikes the sound of people coming in pissed at 5am screaming and shouting and breaking things then earplugs might be a good idea.
    I bought a 2 litre bottle of water midway through the year too - which i filled up from the sink and used when i woke up at 5am gagging for a drink. An alarm clock will come in handy, as will things you might never think of like paper clips and a stapler.

You'll undoubtedly end up leaving with 5 times more stuff than you arrived with anyway :p it's all part of the fun! And make sure you bring a 24 crate or your chosen tipple with you, you'll all be ready to get hammered the first few days you go and the booze money will run out very fast :p

Good luck!
  • Options
    Foam earl plugs are washable, btw. So you don't need to keep on buying new pairs when they get dirty.
  • Options
    Yeah, but a nice list all in one place is handy too.

Thankyou, my point exactly!!

hehe I have en-suite!!!! :D

Thanks for the advice theyve all gone down on my list!!

SO excited!! anymore unusual things please share!!!
  • Options
    Did we say extension leads with multi gangs?

A decent sized usb storage stick, that attaches at the stick end, not the lid end, so when the lid comes off you don't lose it.

Think about taking a sleeping bag if you have one, makes life so very much easier when people stay over.

ps. Even with an ensuite you'll still want a decent sized towel, there's no good reason, but you will!
  • Options
    In addition to Sophie's point about clothes, bring a few awesome fancy-dress outfits (Superwoman or whatever), as well as the mandatory sexy school uniform!
  • Options
    and a pair of modest pajamas for the going out in your jim jams.