Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Holiday Entitlement

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone help with this .....

I work shifts in an office covering a support desk.

2 of the guys I work with have partners who are due to give birth soon (1 in the next few weeks, the other in about a month or 2's time)

Now the bosses have decided that for a 6 week period in each case (2 weeks prior to the due date and 4 after) no one in the department can take holiday just incase there's a shortfall in shift cover .....

So that's a 12 weeks when none of us can take holiday at all ...

Are they allowed to do this ?
I've tried hunting around but all I can find is paternity/maternity entitlement rights ...

Any info/help would be appreciated ...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Legally, i don't know but when i worked for Parisa/Greenalls Cellars we weren't allowed to take holiday between 1st November and 31st December and was in our contract.
    I don't think that they can dictate to you when you can and can't take your holiday unless it's in your contracts. You may find however that there's something in there about fulfilling an operational need.
    Sadly they can tell you when you can take your holiday, just aslong as they "ALLOW" you to take it before the end of the year (otherswise you'd lose it)
    This is what I was afraid of .... If that's the case then once these two 6 week periods are over it's going to be a case of one of the team being off every week until the end of the holiday year for everyone to fit in all the holiday entitlement that they have left ....
    It may be worth pointing that out to them, if you want holiday some time in those 12 weeks then chat with the other people you work with, you may be able to come to a solution between you and the managers if only one of you wants to be off during those 12 weeks you may be able to work it.
    We thought of that and put it to "The Management" ... and they canned the idea without so much as a 2nd thought ....
    You are entitled to 20 days paid leave a year, and the company have to allow you to take it at a reasonable time, but if the needs of the business demand a restriction then its tough luck, they're perfectly entitled to place a restriction on holiday leave.

If its impossible for you all to take the leave in the holiday year then your employer is breaking the law, but if you can take the leave in the holiday year then its fine. My employer restricts the amount of people who can be off at any one time, and most employers do.
    Kermit wrote: »
    the company have to allow you to take it at a reasonable time, but if the needs of the business demand a restriction then its tough luck, they're perfectly entitled to place a restriction on holiday leave.
    :yes:
    Whether you can take leave is obviously dependant on the birth of the babies. Should the first be born earlier than due date, and dad have his entitled paternity leave, then there may be a chance of having leave prior to the next 'protected' period.

What are the currnent leave arrangements for people being off. Do you have a set number of staff allowed off at any one time? If these babies go to term, then there will only be one person off. If your company allows two off at a time, then again, you have reason to query their decision.

Something else to consider is how much notice you have been given about this. If you haven't been given much notice, and had already booked a holiday, you would have grounds to be aggrieved.

:wave: