Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Travel Sickness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going on holiday soon and will be hiring a car and exploring the area, but my boyfriend will be driving (he's older than me and it's cheaper).

I'd forgotten until a trip to my sister's flat the other week - an hour long trip through country lanes which I don't know that well - that I get car sick when I'm a passenger. I don't think I've actually been sick since I was under five, but I feel very queasy!

I've got some "travel bands" which I've tried out once already - they didn't work on the first journey, but then I did read for a while at the very beginning and then slept (and woke up queasy!), but I was fine on the way back (different route) cos I was awake and just chatting so I guess it took my mind off it.

If the travel bands don't work whilst I'm on holiday, does anyone had any suggestions for which brand of tablets to take with me that actually work?

Thanks! :)

ETA: The travel bands I got - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTION-TRAVEL-SICKNESS-RELIEF-ACUSTRAPS-WRIST-BANDS_W0QQitemZ300118722852QQihZ020QQcategoryZ93839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comments

• Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    ...(The amount of times I've got half way to milan and had someone ask me for it - I tell ya!)

Do they give it out on planes?!

Had never crossed my mind.. I will take my own tho - will probably want several boxes! :blush:
  • Options
    I don't know a brand, but my parents have always used the patch, and they find it works. But only half of it, else you just get queesy. And the half works both for my mom at 5'5 110lbs and my dad at 6'6 200sum lbs :p
  • Options
    Sitting on a sheet of newspaper helps too. :yes: Use that one quite a lot when I've got kids in a minibus.

Stugeron seems to suit a lot of people, but can make some sleepy so be aware of that.
  • Options
    Kwells are good i use them bt if u go to a store like super drug they may be able to recommend something better, u can still use the bands with the tablets to do both and u should be fine also avoid reading wilst travelling thats what makes it worse for me. n if possible if travelling by cars sit by the window with it slightly open it always works for me. ;)
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    we have travel sickness medication on board yes

What if I need a complimentary double vodka for my ease my travel sickness would you oblige? ;)

You can get some herbal stuff from Holland & Barrett for travel sickness, Im not sure what its called but ask instore. :thumb:
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I think it's a matter of finding something that works for you. I don't think there's one magic answer.

I swear by Sea-Legs, but my bf can't take them cause they make him more ill. Stugeron helps me a little, but I still feel a bit green, and I can't take any of the others cause they leave me with a stonking headache. The pressure bands do f-all.

More general advice - keep a window open for plenty of fresh air and look forwards and out to the horizon (reading maps is a killer!).
  • Options
    any anti histamine usually works for me. most of them have an anti-emetic effect too.
    Failing that something with real ginger in it does the trick.
  • Options
    Failing that something with real ginger in it does the trick.

Ginger is supposed to help with morning sickness as well.

Maybe sucking some mints like Polo's might help?
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    Ginger is supposed to help with morning sickness as well.

Yeah It does. Only problem is the actual taste of it made me feel sick before the actual anti emetic effcts kicked in. Ginger capsules from holland and barrett worked well though as I couldnt taste the ginger.
  • Options
    Yeah It does. Only problem is the actual taste of it made me feel sick before the actual anti emetic effcts kicked in. Ginger capsules from holland and barrett worked well though as I couldnt taste the ginger.

I only like ginger biccys:lol:

Polo's help me to stop feeling sick
  • Options
    I sometimes get travel sick in cars because of the smell of petrol. Busses, planes and trains have never been a problem to me though.

It sounds very bad (as in bad influence) - To counter travel sickness, I used to get my step-dad to smoke his pipe! Despite this, I'm not a smoker myself and have never smoked, yet his pipe always fixed my problem!
  • Options
    I hear Ginger is good for nausia/travel sickness, apprently it was givin to US Navy Saliors and it reduced the effect of sea sickness

google the supplement advice beru
  • Options
    like others have mentioned, Kwells work well, i give them to by brother alot, he can be sick on a 10 minute car journey!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I will take a trip into Boots and stock up..

Scary Monster, how does the newspaper thing work?!
  • Options
    I have no idea how the newspaper thing works....

BUT I'm entirely convinced that it does, we frequently get kids who are advertised by their parents as getting car sick in proper cars, let along mini buses but stick em on newspaper and they are fine.