Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

replacement teeth...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
had quite a traumtic experience today, went to the dentist, they started prodding around in my mouth and giving me injections, which i thought was to reduce the swelling, i look as though i have a huge growth in my cheek, and then they ripped out my tooth and shoved a prescription into my hand...thus i had a panic attack, and the socket it still bleeding...

anyway, they just told me to come back in six months for a check up, but i've talked to someone else, and they had a replacement tooth put in but said that a crown might also be an option...

I'm going to go to another dentist anyway, but can i get something like this done on the NHS?

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Oh my god! Surely they told you what was happening?!

I should think a crown is on the NHS but I think it is still quite expensive. Dont quote me on that though.
  • Options
    nope, not until she picked up the pliers! i was in and out of there in 10 mins...no wonder it left my head spinning
  • Options
    I have almost had to yell at dentist before to ask my permission before attacking me with surgical instruments. I think it's quite common and it's completely fucking arrogantand wrong of them! One dentist started trying to inject me with anaesthetic, which I don't like, for a tooth that had no nerves anyway. I don't think our experiences of dentists are so rare either. There is reason why people don't want to go to the dentist- because they're knob heads!

ETA: I think dentists ought to adopt a better bedside manner completely. They should explain what the problem is, explain what they think the best teratment would be and the implications of it, as well as any alternatives too. They don't do this unless you badger them though, they just bark- 'open wide' and then assault you. fuckers
  • Options
    argh. I hate them so much.

And people wonder why people hate the dentist, how can you not when you hear about stuff like this happening, and stuff happens to you.

There is no way i would have stayed in the chair if they picked up some pliers or needles. I would have been gone :nervous:
  • Options
    :crazyeyes That sounds awful I'd play fuck. Do you mean you want to replace the tooth they took out to stop it bleeding? Or because its noticable?
  • Options
    i only have a few fears, mainly just dogs and dentists...but today has been so shit!

before this i had to wait for nearly 3 hours for a fasting blood test, so in the end i didn't get to eat til four, and now it's hard to eat solids....:(
  • Options
    They should have given her more information though obviously. How is she to decide what to do otherwise? Sometimes it's not good to have a tooth removed with nothing to fill the gap as your teeth then all gradually move around, which then changes your bite, which can cause you no end of problems including headaches, teeth grinding... as well as the aesthetics of it. Phone them up tomorrow TT and insist you speak to the dentist- ask him all the questions you need to.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    :crazyeyes That sounds awful I'd play fuck. Do you mean you want to replace the tooth they took out to stop it bleeding? Or because its noticable?
    well, so i can eat properly mainly! i've nearly been sick about 3 times today, because i've swallowed so much blood...i'd be a shit vampire!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    katralla wrote: »
    ETA: I think dentists ought to adopt a better bedside manner completely. They should explain what the problem is, explain what they think the best teratment would be and the implications of it, as well as any alternatives too. They don't do this unless you badger them though, they just bark- 'open wide' and then assault you. fuckers
    Mine does that, thankfully. And he's very careful and does good work too.
    Too bad he sucks in other departments, like polite conversation and... not wearing any damn gloves!

T_T, I really think you should do something about that. Surely it's not legal for them to do something like this without letting you know beforehand, and even if it is it must be against a rulebook or something.
  • Options
    Too bad he sucks in other departments, like polite conversation and... not wearing any damn gloves!

T_T, I really think you should do something about that. Surely it's not legal for them to do something like this without letting you know beforehand, and even if it is it must be against a rulebook or something.
    quite possibly but i'm glad to just not to be in so much pain! but i was screaming when they were doing the injections, and she didn't do anything...

i can't believe that they offered me any after treatment...i'm quite angry really!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

My dentists normally do this to me. However, one time they didn't (actually, that was why they couldn't do something to me) and I ended up being told by some stranger on an internet message board.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I should think a crown is on the NHS but I think it is still quite expensive. Dont quote me on that though.

:yes:

They're subsidised, but still pricey. My (evil) dentist charges £250 each. That's for people who don't get any help with their NHS costs, though!

Know what you mean about dentists' chairside manner, too. Mine poked his pointy metal hook thing INTO my abscess, and when I squealed, said 'oh, is it painful when I do that?'. DO YOU THINK??? :rolleyes: :mad: :shocking:
  • Options
    i'm gonna have to go, the painkiller has worn off and i'm really starting to feel sick with swallowing all this blood....:( i want to scream!
  • Options

Mine too. He's great. Takes his time, tells me exactly what my options are, what he's doing, what sounds i might hear and that he can stop whenever i want him to.

Trinity, i think the way you've been treated is appaling and you should definitely complain to the head of the practice, if not higher up. MoK should be able to tell you who to complain to about a dentist.

As for the blood in the mouth, most dentists recommend gargling/swilling with boiled, cooled salty water but i doubt you'd be able to stomach that if you're being sick. Have you got any antibacterial mouthwash ? Ooo and try not to smoke.
  • Options
    Your dentist shouldn't do anything without asking you first, and explaining the consequences. They have to have your consent and for consent to be valid it has to be informed. That said it doesn't have to be written consent.

Did you just turn up in pain, or was this part of a course of treatment? If it was part of the treatment course it should have been explained at the start of the treatment course.

Painwise take paracetamol and ibuprofen at the max dose it says on the packet for both.

Do you have any idea which tooth he took out? Near the back or near the front?

If you are worried about it ring them up say you are worried and get an emergency appointment. Ask about the consequences of the gap they have left. Bear in mind that lots of people have teeth taken out for all sorts of reasons including ortho work so it's not necessarily a problem. NHS pricing is now fixed into 3 bands, so you only pay one of three prices, one is ~£15, one if ~£45 and one is ~£140. I'm pretty sure a crown would come into the latter although if they took the whole tooth out I don't think you can have a crown.

Your area should have a dental helpline you can ring, it deals with advice, and emergency appointments for people without Dentists, but they may be able to help if you are worried. Sometimes it can be hard to track down the number, try google or failing that it's often linked to the out of hours doctors number.

Hope that helps a bit and if you've got any more questions ask away. Mums a dentist and I do the odd bit of nursing so have access to a fair bit of knowledge, and before anyone says anything mum is one of the really nice ones, she deals specially in special needs and phobics.
  • Options
    Definitely no smoking while you are trying to get it to heal and gargling isn't great because you wash out any clots. Sip cool drinks, that should help settle your stomach a bit.
  • Options
    I've been drinking cool water, and i'll try some soup, but houmous on bread seems to be okish...though i have been sick and it was nearly all blood and bile...lovely! I've taken 3 syndol, my antibiotics.

I've got to go into college tomorrow morning, but if i can't hack it, which i really don't think i'm going to be able to (ha i'd be suprised if i can make it to canning town!). My only problem being that i have a project to finish which i need to have done at the end of next week...

this couldn't have come at a worse time...well being on holiday in scotland would have been a worse time, but this is still pretty shit!

I'm going to complain to the PCT and i've been told i should go to the dental hospital at the royal to see if they can offer me something...

ps: i haven't smoked in a long time so thats not a problem...i should take my herbal tincture again though, was getting the stress levels down
  • Options
    Sounds like you're doing a lot of things right then. It should feel a fair bit better in the morning. Even if it had been done how you would have liked then it would still be seriously sore, it's one of the down sides of dentistry it often gives you a bit of a beating and makes things all sore.

Ring up the PCT by all means, remember you probably want to be taking two lines of attack, the 'Is this what should have been done, do I need any further treatment now?' and the 'He's a wanker I'd like to complain'.

General comment to everyone, a lot of things in medicine and dentistry work on a kind of implied consent, if you go along with it and don't ask any questions they assume you are ok. To what extent this is taken to varies so always make sure you explicitly ask if you have any questions or concerns. Tis worth bearing in mind that lots of people don't actually want to know, they just want it sorted.
  • Options
    I've experienced this with patients too. If you ever watch a TV programme with doctors where they talk about the patient's illness and what the diagnosis is with junior doctors etc. -> that's what a lot of dentists are like with their dental nurses.

But from people I've spoken to online who come from the medical profession (with the exception of MoK) I've got the impression they're a bit up themselves and think they're better / more intelligent than other people. (speshially doctors)

Sorry to hear about your experience though, just wanted to bitch a bit myself too :)
  • Options
    From the information in the OP, the dentist has committed an assault.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But from people I've spoken to online who come from the medical profession (with the exception of MoK) I've got the impression they're a bit up themselves and think they're better / more intelligent than other people. (speshially doctors)

Gosh, that really is a nice compliment....
  • Options
    Oh ouch. Whether you want it or not, you have my sympathy!

Can't help you with much, but after I had my wisdom teeth out and they wouldn't stop bleeding, they suggested using tea bags instead of the gauze. It absorbs more, and doesn't taste as bad.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    From the information in the OP, the dentist has committed an assault.
    Good. Because now she can accuse him of that. And she should.
  • Options
    christ, i'm not going to accuse her of assult! report her for malpractice maybe, but not assult!

Made the effort to go into college but i was so woozy when i got there by tutor just sent me home because he didn't like the idea of doing tape edits with razor blades if i wasn't 100% (which is completly fair, because you can slice you fingers accidently so easily). so i've spent the day sleeping and ironing...

It's still swollen, but the bleeding is very little now, so i might just leave it for now. but i'll see if i can go to the dental hospital about a replacement tooth...
  • Options
    I should have thought about this before (Im going to be a great lawyer :p) if she performed anything without your informed consent, it is assault.

She needs to be sorted TT she could think this is fine and continue pulling other people's teeth out.

I am glad you are feeling better though :)

Out of interest, which tooth is it?
  • Options
    i think its the 2nd moller on the left? not sure tho
  • Options
    i think its the 2nd moller on the left? not sure tho

one of the back ones? I am just nosey really, and wanted to know if you could tell when you smiled.
  • Options
    no not really. i don't smile with my mouth open anyway, never felt natural
  • Options
    christ, i'm not going to accuse her of assult! report her for malpractice maybe, but not assult!

Assault possibly, malpractice definitely.

Just remembered. When i was a kid i had a dentist called Dr Wookey. Always pulled teeth rather than filling/treating them. My parents complained after he had to climb on the chair to get a tooth out, fell off and knocked two of my teeth sideways. Turns out he was a bit of a butcher and always did extractions as he earnt more. When people found out my parents complained lots of others did as well. He was charged with assualt (not over my incident), don't know what happened over that but he was struck off.