Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Food snobs

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And here I thought scampi was just a way to cook shrimp drenched in butter and garlic :yum:

I love processed food ;) Twinkies and cereal marshmellows, can't keep me away. And squeeze cheese on ritz. Except for that teddy bear meat, that looks gross. I do always only buy meats and cheeses and those kinds of things from the deli. I'm quite sure its cheaper than the nasty prepackaged stuff anyways.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not a food snob at all.

I like what I like. If it tastes good then I'll eat it.

I'm quite a fan of spam fritters actually.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I didn't know anybody ate spam and always wondered how and why they still made it. Whats the fritter part?

YOu should visit my parents, theres a spam mueseum in the next town over. Spam capitol of the world. :yes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    I used to go fishing as a kid with a can of spam and a can of sweetcorn for bait. By noon I'd always have polished it off myself. :D

Spam fritters

Flour, milk, 1 egg, 1 tin of Spam, 1 tbl spoon oil

Preparation: Put flour in bowl, mix in enough milk to make a runny paste, pour in oil beat in one egg. Slice the Spam up into slices 1/4" thick or thinner if you want more. Dip slices into batter and fry in hot oil until crisp and golden. Beer added to the batter will make it lighter and crispier if you want.

Red sauce or proper English mustard is good with it. Bear in mind it's not the healthiest food.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    I love processed food ;)

I hate most processed food and most ready meals. The only ready meals that I will eat are sheperds's pie and cottage pie.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    p1.jpg

Mmmmm turkey dinosaurs :yum:

mortadella_teddy_bear.jpg
    That looks disgusting !

OMG I cant believe people will slice up and eat a bear like that
  • Options
    why?

Why are Tesco nasty? Basically because they use their buying power to piss on both domestic and especially developing world farmers, leaving aside their nasty planning permission activities and their dominance of the food market.

The singlular of scampi is scampo by the way.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I'm a self confessed food snob. There's certain things I just can't bring myself to consume.

The number one item is orange juice made from concentrate. Nasty.

I don't see anything wrong with it - in theory all they should be removing is the water - seems quite wasteful to transport water half way around the world - using up loads of fuel and causing extra pollution when we have plenty of water over here.
  • Options
    OMG I cant believe people will slice up and eat a bear like that

MURDER! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with it - in theory all they should be removing is the water - seems quite wasteful to transport water half way around the world - using up loads of fuel and causing extra pollution when we have plenty of water over here.

Its not that theres anything wrong with it, its just it tastes like shit in comparison to the freshly squeezed stuff.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »

It isnt as good, and you can clearly tell the difference with orange juice, however I think apple juice from concentrate is perfectly fine and its about 1/20th of the price.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    briggi wrote: »
    Well, I was talking generically about reformed meat and fish and therefore mentioned scampi, I thought that was clear but my mistake.

The phrase "reformed scampi" or similar makes me feel ill, I would always spend an extra 30p and buy wholetail or just skip it on the shopping list. Personally :)

Oh, I getcha. I've only ever even wholetail and hadn't really considered it on the same level as other reformed meat before - but you speak sense ;)
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    It isnt as good, and you can clearly tell the difference with orange juice, however I think apple juice from concentrate is perfectly fine and its about 1/20th of the price.

eurgh, it just tastes like syrup though. A glass of Copella compared to concentrate apple juice - its like a totally different drink.
  • Options
    eurgh, it just tastes like syrup though. A glass of Copella compared to concentrate apple juice - its like a totally different drink.

That's true, but strangely I prefer ordinary concentrate apple juice to the Copella stuff. Not all of them taste like syrup!
  • Options
    can you get those meat bears here? This is the first I've heard of them...
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    That's true, but strangely I prefer ordinary concentrate apple juice to the Copella stuff. Not all of them taste like syrup!

Yeah i prefer the Tesco concentrated Apple Juice (the one the looks like piss) to the pure apple juice.

On the other hand OJ has got to be pure, and you cant beat Tropicana Smooth

:thumb:
  • Options

I dont think so, I guess its just because I've been drinking it for so many years, but I also prefer the clear from concentrate stuff to the cloudy. I certainly dont drink the ones with all the sugar and that in though.
  • Options
    You have to be careful with wholetail scampi, though, because whilst the packet often says "wholetail scampi" in tiny letters on the back it says "made from more than one wholetail". That sounds like procerssed food to me.

I'm not much of a food snob (leaving aside fast food sandwich bars;)), and I'm quite happy drinking Netto beer and Aldi chocolate. I don't like supermarket meat, though, and always get it from a butcher in the Grainger Market who now tells me off when I don't go for a week.

Not-from-concentrate orange juice is nicer, but to be honest, concentrate stuff isn't that bad, unless you have the Value stuff. The thing that makes me laugh is seeing people loading their trollies with concentrate orange juice that, because its in the fridge, is charged at 30p/litre more.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'm not much of a food snob (leaving aside fast food sandwich bars;)

:lol: Good old Subway, I munched on a meatball marinara the other day and it was actually really good. Hadn't been there for ages before then though.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    :lol: Good old Subway, I munched on a meatball marinara the other day and it was actually really good. Hadn't been there for ages before then though.

Oh I wish I hadnt read that now, you have set me off. Mmmmmmm Subway :yum:

Fuck it wheres my car keys :thumb:
  • Options
    Billy bear ham (meaty bears LOL) and cheesetrings are totally rank in my eyes but I don't think either will kill you in moderation. I get a bit freaked out by any kind of cheese but thats only cos I gave myself food poisoning with it, was a very scary experience!
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    I didn't know anybody ate spam and always wondered how and why they still made it. Whats the fritter part?

YOu should visit my parents, theres a spam mueseum in the next town over. Spam capitol of the world. :yes:

I like spam, it's good, only cooked though. Chinese people seem to love spam, a very popular fast food thign in Hong Kong is a fried spam and egg sandwich. They use spam quite a lot in chap fast food stuff.

That billy bear luncheon meat just looks vile *shudders"

That and i really do not like the idea of turkey ham either, or cheese string type crap, other than that i'll happily eat most things.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'm quite happy drinking Netto beer and Aldi chocolate. I don't like supermarket meat, though, and always get it from a butcher in the Grainger Market who now tells me off when I don't go for a week.

That's how i am - i cut down in places that it doesn't matter too much (buy own brand loo roll, aldi washing powder, value potato salad) and then spend more on the things which do matter, like meat and veg.

ooh, i've just thought of another thing i eat but am slightly embarassed by. Cocktail sausages. I :heart: them.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I used to go fishing as a kid with a can of spam and a can of sweetcorn for bait. By noon I'd always have polished it off myself. :D

:lol: Yeah I used to eat the can of spam when I went fishing.
  • Options
    supermarket beef and pork. its crap
  • Options
    Dont eat ready meals, anything with added sugar, or salt. Wont touch anything with artificial things, or processed. I will only eat sweet things if they are home made these days, bar chocolate bars, and thai sweet chilli crisps.

Dont shop in tescos or asda - only local independent grocers.

Yes I am a food snob.
  • Options
    talia wrote: »
    I will only eat sweet things if they are home made these days, bar chocolate bars, and thai sweet chilli crisps.

You make your own Thai Sweet chilli crisps and chocolate bars ? :eek2:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    You make your own Thai Sweet chilli crisps and chocolate bars ? :eek2:

she said BAR chocolate bars and crisps
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    she said BAR chocolate bars and crisps

Ah ok, i just got that now.
  • Options
    BILLY BEAR MEAT! Aw. I always used to have that when I was about 4, although it was just the cute face, not the whole body. Tasted like crap and was all grainy and left that horrible dry taste in your mouth, but I loved eating it all the same purely for the fact it was billy bear, man.