Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Food snobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a self confessed food snob. There's certain things I just can't bring myself to consume.

The number one item is orange juice made from concentrate. Nasty.
Also, processed cheese slices.
And cheap sliced white bread.

CORNDOGS..had one in America, the most revolting, processed food product ever.

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    Turkey ham.

Processed foods of any description that come with a 'crumb' or are 'golden' and you bake in the oven.

Egg mayo from a packet (i love it but don't let anyone know!)
  • Options
    Supernoodles. Christ on crutches they are dire, disgusting and depressing.

Ditto Pot Noodles and "mash in a pot" which I was exposed to for the first time yesterday.

I don't eat meat now but I've always turned my nose up at "reformed" meats/fish of any kind - especially things like sliced ham and scampi. Have some standards, consumers!

Pringles.

Cheesestrings.

:eek2:
  • Options
    I'm a food snob too :D

It's mainly processed things. White bread, plastic looking cheese, ready meals, (what the hell are those Feaster things?! You can tell the creative juices were at saturation point around the advertising table, "Feasters, 100%... feasty")

Fried chicken shops also put me off. I'm sure if I was drunk/wired it would be the most appetising thing ever, but where I live are so many... KFC, Southern Fried Chicken, Tenessee Fried Chicken, Lucky Fried Chicken, Happy Fried Chicken, Chicken Fried Chicken etc.

Generally other things that try to market themselves as healthy when they are not e.g. low fat products when they're equally packed with sugar and other crap.
  • Options
    Yep, I'm another, I'll definitely avoid anything heavily processed or shaped (have you seen that teddy bear sliced formed meat?).

It stretches to not going in certain supermarkets too, Ildl for example, Morrisons tends to give me The Fear too.
  • Options
    have you seen that teddy bear sliced formed meat?

I have now thanks to a trusty search under google. Why, why, why would someone want that in their system?

150023.jpg
  • Options
    Oh no, I love Lidl (was that what you meant budda?) and Morrisons.

Their food is a lot more honest than that of Tesco and Asda, I've found, especially fruit, veg, fresh stuff. Though I don't buy my meat from there anyway, so maybe I'm mistaken.
  • Options
    I don't like processed foods, white bread, weird cheese - like spray cheese wtf.
    Reformed meat just sounds gross :sour: and I don't like the thought of tinned soup especially soup that has meat in it. Also things like turkey drumsticks. And gross, what were those crispy pancakes from years ago?? My firend at primary school used to always eat them for tea :yuck: Also pies and pasties are ming like sauage roll and cornish pasty. Also anything by Bernard Matthews. I have a thing about meat!
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Oh no, I love Lidl (was that what you meant budda?) and Morrisons.

Their food is a lot more honest than that of Tesco and Asda, I've found, especially fruit, veg, fresh stuff. Though I don't buy my meat from there anyway, so maybe I'm mistaken.

I dont think I've ever been in an Asda, so I dont know, and I avoid Tesco because they are a deeply nasty company.

From what I can gather Morrisons is just a bit mixed, I know people who like it but my local one is nasty, full of people I do my best to avoid and stacked full of crappy food.
  • Options
    I used to like Asda until it got taken over by Walmart. It has gone so so downhill! Not as much fresh food or variety.
  • Options
    I'm not that snobby to be honest, but I haven't got enough money at the moment to be snobby! I don't like processed cheese slices but I can't actually think of much else I won't eat! Pot noodles are gross, and most other 'add water' pasta snacks. Although I LOVE mug shots :yum::yum:
  • Options
    Im a bit of a foodie but I dont think im a real food snob. Not that bad anyway.
    Ill eat crap food too and enjoy it occasionally (supernoodle sandwiches - oh god, that was my early pregnancy craving :yum: hyper:)

Cheap sausages are THE most vile things ever. George Foreman them and there is barely anything left when the fat drips out - maybe a crafty bit of sawdust from the factory floor.
    Cant bring myself to consume battery eggs. Nmm bought some once and I wasnt impressed. I wouldnt eat them even though theyd already been bought.
    I also hate orange and apple juice thats made from concentrate. I will only drink it in a juice emergency. I buy it for my sons lunchbox though as you cant get the good stuff in kidsize multipacks. He doesnt seem to mind.

Those teddy shaped meat things :yuck: You can get train shaped ones too. I get asked for them, but NO WAY. Also anything by Bernard Matthews - bleurgh.
    Im a bit OTT about what i will not let my son have. anything with aspartame :no: anything with bright colours :no: anything with lots of ingredients I cant pronounce :no:
  • Options
    Im a bit OTT about what i will not let my son have. anything with aspartame :no: anything with bright colours :no: anything with lots of ingredients I cant pronounce :no:

That's kind of how i am. Except for my eggmayo+additives sandwiches, which it would seem i cannot get enough of.
  • Options
    I just can't eat tomatoes or chillis...at all!

As for processed shit, well I'd prefer something more wholesome but if it was slapped down on a plate in front of me for dinner I'd eat it surely.
  • Options
    I eat shitty crappy foods and I loves it :D I'll eat all of the foods on your lists...

i don't get what's wrong with scampi though?
  • Options
    Would you eat the meaty bears? :nervous: :D
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katralla wrote: »

i don't get what's wrong with scampi though?

Neither do I actually - someone educate us :)
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Would you eat the meaty bears? :nervous: :D

te he. yeah I would and I love my sandwich turkey ham with added water, starch and potato- much nicer than tukey sliced off a cooked bird.
  • Options

What's aspartame?
    sauage roll

I'm not allowed these anymore and have recently realised how vile they really are.
  • Options
    Im not sure whats wrong with scampi either :confused:

scampi is the same thing that food snobs call langoustines isnt it?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    What's aspartame?

artificial sweetner mostly used in sugar free stuff, it's shockingly bad for you if you believe all the hype, supposed links to brain cancer if I remember rightly. I did get a bit scared of the stuff when I looked it up, but can't/won't give up pepsi max so...
  • Options
    ditto to the thing about those microwave burgers that you can buy.. not sure i like the sound of having to reheat the meat for the same length of time as the bread. hmm! also sandwiches, i won't eat them from supermarkets - only from bakers where it's been freshly made that day. i'm fussy about things being past their use by date too, even if it's the next day.
  • Options
    Well, I was talking generically about reformed meat and fish and therefore mentioned scampi, I thought that was clear but my mistake.

The phrase "reformed scampi" or similar makes me feel ill, I would always spend an extra 30p and buy wholetail or just skip it on the shopping list. Personally :)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    What's aspartame?

Aspartame is a chemical found in diet drinks, its a replacement for the sugar but has been linked to hair loss and other nasty problems. I stopped drinking anything with aspartame in now for a few months and went back to plain sugar in drinks.

Correct me if im wrong but i think its banned in the US.

:thumb:
  • Options
    no its not banned in the US
  • Options
    I always thought scampi was an animal in it's own right. Trust me to watch Fingerbobs, looked nothing like a langoustine :D
  • Options
    I didn't know they made reformed scampi, wonder if it's nice?
  • Options
    It would guess it tastes exactly the same, it's more of an issue of whether you can stomach the idea of reformed food or not. If you can it doesn't really make a jot of difference, I wouldn't be interested in it myself.

The scampi we get here is just the tail of the animal (some special kind of Norwegian lobster or summat, I'm not 100%) - the difference being whether you buy wholetail scampi tails or reformed scampi tails which are just all the shitty off-cuts that are probably swept off the factory floor into a whole piece of scampi in a manufacturing process similar to that of Greggs' "sausage" rolls :razz:
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I avoid Tesco because they are a deeply nasty company.

why?
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    The scampi we get here is just the tail of the animal (some special kind of Norwegian lobster or summat, I'm not 100%)

Yes, as i found out earlier having a look around.

Langoustine, Norwegian lobster and Dublin Bay prawn are all the same animal. Scampi (from the Italian scampo) is the tail end of a langoustine.

As for reformed meat, even if i ate meat no i wouldn't want to eat it.
  • Options
    p1.jpg

Mmmmm turkey dinosaurs :yum:

mortadella_teddy_bear.jpg
    That looks disgusting !