Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pregnancy scare

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just writing this to help me really because I'm sat in work and all i can think about is how I haven't had my period yet.

I'm still on my 7day break but my period usually starts on Saturday. I have been taking St Johns Worts which apparently lowers the effectiveness of the pill but I just googled that and they said during studies there were no actual pregnancies. Also I have been very stressed recently and upset about something so maybe that has made it late? Although I guess I'm not that late..:s
I don't even feel like I'm gonna come on although I had a few mild cramps over the weekend, just little short dull aches.

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I have had times when I should have come on but its happened a couple of days later.

St John's Wort does lower the effectiveness of certain contraceptions, and there are people who have got pregnant due to taking it.

Could you nip out of work on your lunch and get a test. Knowing either way is always best.
  • Options
    Sometimes if I'm stressed I get my period a day or two later then I normally do on my pill break. Its also not uncommon to occasionaly miss periods on the pill. There are various reasons, not just pregnancy that can delay/stop you periods. If you want peice of mind it is best to do a pregnancy test.
  • Options
    How stressed do you need to be to make a period late though. Its weird.

I guess I'll go get a test after work. Its not something I wana do in my lunch break really.

I feel like I'm being a drama queen because I'm only a couple of days late. I'm just so impatient and used to being on time.
  • Options
    you arent being a drama queen, you are reacting normally. Once I have something in my head, I need to know.

I have been late when I am not stressed, and then been on time when I am stressed, and of course vice versa. Although stress is a factor, I dont think it is the main reason you could be late, its more likely your body is just deciding it doesnt want to have a period today, it will wait a couple more days.

Get a test after work and try to take your mind off it (easy for me to say I know)
  • Options
    Ok I'll try :)

I told my ex who I've been seeing that I'm still waiting for my period and he said "oh you're such a worrier, it will be fine." He's probably right.
  • Options
    you're not being a drama queen at all, it's something that worries us all from time to time and if you usually come on your period on a saturday and don't, then of course it's going to worry you a bit. i would try not to worry too much though, as it's only monday now. like others have said, take a test if it'll put your mind at ease and maybe think about what to do in the future i.e. with the pill and johns wort stuff. :)
  • Options
    Lipsy,

I made the mistake of having sex with my long term boyfriend while on St Johns - it completely slipped my mind at the time.

I went the next day to the GP and they said that the risk was still very low that I could become pregnant, so try not to worry too much - your period is even less likely to come then!

They also recommended that there are plenty of other tablets available with the same effect as St Johns that won't have the same contraindications.

Hugs :)
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better mine was a week late this month when it's usually on time. Can't see any reason for it either.
  • Options
    i can kind of relate to how you feel being late, however i am just more than a few days my last period was in march i've had two test both negative and i am on the pill and he used a condom so i am rather confused. just try not to worry about it cause you worrying may be what is causing the stress which is making you late if you get what i mean. ;)
  • Options
    I worry when my period is an hour late!!
  • Options
    I'm the same, I fret about it aalll the time. Don't fret hun, I'm sure its nothing.
  • Options
    I guess I've learnt not to worry too much because I rarely ever get periods on my pill type :p
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

I took a test and it was negative. Although still no signs of a period or even feeling like I'm gona have one. If it gets to Friday I might go to the doctors because this is weird.
  • Options
    All day I've been getting the strangest feeling/pain about 2 inches below my belly button and over to the left. It makes me jump every time I feel it! :(
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    All day I've been getting the strangest feeling/pain about 2 inches below my belly button and over to the left. It makes me jump every time I feel it! :(

Maybe if you're stressed it's straining the body muscles used to initiate your period?

Give it a few days then wait and see. :heart:
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Maybe if you're stressed it's straining the body muscles used to initiate your period?

Maybe.. :s

Still no sign though.. feel quite bloated and crampy.
  • Options
    have sex...

it will always arrive when you dont want it to ;)
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    have sex...

it will always arrive when you dont want it to ;)

Haha that's what my boyf-thing said!
  • Options
    Haha that's what my boyf-thing said!

just go with it...its a good an excuse than any?
  • Options
    He's not here or else I would :( lol
  • Options
    Aww, and of course the more you worry the less likely you are to come on, it's a vicious circle.

Is anything else different? Bigger/more tender breasts, funny taste in your mouth etc (I'm giving you ideas now, never a good idea when someone is worried :p)? I knew immediately both times I was pregnant, but obviously that isn't the case for everyone.

You could try taking another test tomorrow or something, but to be honest if you can hack the not knowing then just make a doctor's appointment and go from there. I gather you've had a bit of an up and down fortnight or so, it's definitely possible you're just late for stress-related reasons or that it's indeed just 'one of those things'. My periods are like clockwork but I've had a few stressful months in the past when they've been extremely unpunctual.

Does it sound strange to say "I hope you get your period soon"? I'll say it anyway ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Aww, and of course the more you worry the less likely you are to come on, it's a vicious circle.

Is anything else different? Bigger/more tender breasts, funny taste in your mouth etc (I'm giving you ideas now, never a good idea when someone is worried :p)? I knew immediately both times I was pregnant, but obviously that isn't the case for everyone.

You could try taking another test tomorrow or something, but to be honest if you can hack the not knowing then just make a doctor's appointment and go from there. I gather you've had a bit of an up and down fortnight or so, it's definitely possible you're just late for stress-related reasons or that it's indeed just 'one of those things'. My periods are like clockwork but I've had a few stressful months in the past when they've been extremely unpunctual.

Does it sound strange to say "I hope you get your period soon"? I'll say it anyway ;)

Don't worry about putting symptoms into ym head because I've googled them all about 10times already!
    Nothing else is different really. I had sore boobs at the weekend but they're fine now. Look a teensy bit bigger and had darker nipples this morning but they look normal now. And feel a bit faint and sick but that could be due to anything. I'm always up and down like that.
    I've got a doctors appointment on Friday so I'll just wait and see. I almost bought another test but then I thought that I should just take my mind off it and stop stressing and hopefully it will arrive :p
  • Options
    I'm just writing this to help me really because I'm sat in work and all i can think about is how I haven't had my period yet.

I'm still on my 7day break but my period usually starts on Saturday. I have been taking St Johns Worts which apparently lowers the effectiveness of the pill but I just googled that and they said during studies there were no actual pregnancies. Also I have been very stressed recently and upset about something so maybe that has made it late? Although I guess I'm not that late..:s
    I don't even feel like I'm gonna come on although I had a few mild cramps over the weekend, just little short dull aches.

I'm kinda in the same position as you atm but I'm not on the pill.
    I had sex unprotected a few times with my ex (boyfriend at the time) about two months ago and I have missed this period and I'm feeling funny. I did a test and it's negative which was all good but still doesn't explain why I haven't come on ?
  • Options
    When did you take a test? And when was you due on?
  • Options
    Took the test last wednesday and was actually due on around the 8th of may .... im so confused about when your supposed to take tests and stuff
  • Options
    Took the test last wednesday and was actually due on around the 8th of may .... im so confused about when your supposed to take tests and stuff

Here I am panicking because I'm 5days late and you're a month late! I'd be at the dcotors if it was me. It doesn't mean you're pregnant necessarily but you have had unprotected sex.. although the test was negative. Its confusing isn't it.
  • Options
    Here I am panicking because I'm 5days late and you're a month late! I'd be at the dcotors if it was me. It doesn't mean you're pregnant necessarily but you have had unprotected sex.. although the test was negative. Its confusing isn't it.

Should I go to the doctors ?
    I'm just so confused ! I keep putting it to the back of my mind really because I think well if the test was negative then it must be fine but isn't there a weird time when you have to take the test ? maybe i should do another one after work ..
    shit and if i am pregnant its going to be pretty close call if i want an abortion.
  • Options
    I'm just so confused ! I keep putting it to the back of my mind really because I think well if the test was negative then it must be fine but isn't there a weird time when you have to take the test ? maybe i should do another one after work ..
    shit and if i am pregnant its going to be pretty close call if i want an abortion.

I'd take another test soon and then if you're still worried see a doctor.
  • Options
    Don't want to worry either of you but when I first because pregnant I had no symptoms, except tired-ness. I was 3 weeks (ish) late before I finally get a positive on a pregnancy test, for some reason they had all been negative before that, even the expensive ones.

Also Lipsy, the pain you've been having could be implantation pain? I think this is similar to a period pain and can sometimes cause slight bleeding too.

Good luck with the dr's, I hope you get the outcome you both want.
  • Options

You can abort upto 20 something weeks I think so you will be okay for a while anyway, go to the dr's and they can take a blood test to see what the problem is.