Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tonsillitis

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I have tonsillitis. The first time I have ever had it, not been diagnosed properly, but both my dad and boyfriend have 'diagnosed' me themselves!!

I basically want to know of any kitchen cupboard tricks to make me feel better. (I have no honey or lemon)

I have taken too much medicine:
Ibuprofen and paracetamol - alternate every 2 hours
2 glasses of soluble asprin
anaesthetic throat spray
dequacaine throat tablets

I have drunk the Nile dry of water and squash, and tbh I am pretty sick of peeing now :p

I feel yukky and want some suggestions.

I am going to get a drs appt hopefully tomorrow, but due to the fact my rude and irresponsible body gets sick on a Saturday and Sunday I have had to suffer :(

Help me please

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tonsillitis is a special medical term which means "inflamed tonsils" - i.e. it describes the symptom, not the cause.

stop drinking squash - the sugars in it could be feeding the bacteria, and the acids could be making it worse, and the oils might be triggering an allergy

just water from now on, but lots of it.

My usual treatment is two TABLEspoons of salt in a mug, half fill with boiling water, stir until dissolved, fill with cold water.

Taking care this isn't too hot, but as hot as you can bear, take a mouthful, garlge as slowly as you can for about 30 seconds, then spit. Ideally into a sink, or the toilet.

repeat until you've finished the mug.
  • Options
    Thank you, it hurt, but thank you.
  • Options
    I know its late now but just for future reference;
    Paracetamol + Ibuprofen OR Aspirin.

Ibuprofen and Aspirin are from the same group of drugs so you shouldnt use both. Soluble aspirin is better for a sore throat than ibuprofen anyway.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Soluble aspirin is better for a sore throat than ibuprofen anyway.

you could get soluble ibuprofen for a while. I don't know if it is still available

absolutely fould stuff and did very stange things to me sense of taste.
  • Options
    raw garlic has antiseptic properties and may help kill off whatever is causing the infection - try chewing a clove if you can, it may burn! :eek: but it might help!
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    I know its late now but just for future reference;
    Paracetamol + Ibuprofen OR Aspirin.

Ibuprofen and Aspirin are from the same group of drugs so you shouldnt use both. Soluble aspirin is better for a sore throat than ibuprofen anyway.
    I thought asprin and paracetamol were the same type of drug??
  • Options
    diddlybop wrote: »
    raw garlic has antiseptic properties and may help kill off whatever is causing the infection - try chewing a clove if you can, it may burn! :eek: but it might help!

I wouldn't advise that, when I had a HORRID bout of tonsillitis last year I felt very very sick a lot of the time and the thought of garlic in my mouth would have been too sickly to even consider.

I lost a lot of weight due to being sick so much so I would advise that you try to eat good food whenever you feel able to. Try to keep your temperature down as this made me feel more sick, I remember the feeling of sickness coming over me as the paracetamol was wearing off after a few hours.

I really sympathise because tonsillitis is horrible. My wee smelt of penicillin for a whole week and I generally felt like crap my whole bady was aching.

Take care of yourself and make sure you get plenty of sleep. :)
  • Options
    Dinted wrote: »
    I thought asprin and paracetamol were the same type of drug??
    No
  • Options
    All the other stuff is great advice but another thing i could suggest is taking a really long hot bath, it relaxes all your muscles therefore relieving the other symptoms like achiness and the steam will help loosen and phlegm and congestion plus it will soothe you so you can just sleep it off. cass :O) xx

feel better soon
  • Options
    hey just to let you all know, I am better now :D

Thanks for all the advice though.

And it is asprin and ibuprofen that are the same kinda thing, so you cant go too mad on them.
  • Options
    Ur lucky. I had tonsillitis for 3 weeks once
  • Options
    Guess im too late, was gonna say ice-cream is quite soothing...
  • Options
    I had my tonsils out when i was six i found ice lollys helped soothe
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote: »
    I had my tonsils out when i was six i found ice lollys helped soothe

eek my friends had hers out but they grew back!
  • Options
    :shocking: They best not do