Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

An MPA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi guys

I'm one exam away from finishing my second year of a Politics and Sociology course, with the intention of getting into the public/voluntary sector as a career. However, I know that financially the public sector isn't too stable and I'd like to guarantee myself a decent income while still working in a job that encapsulates my values (i.e charities, housing organisations, human rights/civil rights orgs).

I've been looking at doing an MPA (Masters of Public Administration) which is essentially an MBA but aimed toward public sector and non-profit management.

Does anyone have any experience of MPAs or know how valuable they are once out of education? Where are the best places to do them?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does anyone have any experience of MPAs or know how valuable they are once out of education? Where are the best places to do them?

tbh i can't see it doing anything more than a solid background in experience would do for you. it might be the 'icing on the cake' so to speak but balance that on the money you'll pay completing it and ...
    is there a specific area you want to work in? or just the ''public/voluntary sector''?