Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Signs of depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering what the signs were for depression. How can you tell that someone is depressed, not just blue or down in the dumps?

Comments

• Options
    Various atricles from the site on depression: http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/depression

And helpguide: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm

It can be pretty hard to tell if someone else is, even if you know them really well. Some people are very good at hiding their depression from others.
  • Options

It can be pretty hard to tell if someone else is, even if you know them really well. Some people are very good at hiding their depression from others.

:yes: The best thing you can do is try and get them to go to the doctors. I thought my mates were mad when they kept saying I should be checked for depression, but when I actually went, I found out they were not onl right, but I was a lot worse than I'd imagined. If it's someone you know that you're worried about, see if you can get them to go to the doctors, taking you along as support. They may resent it at first but It's obvious to anyone eventually that people only do things like that when they really care.
  • Options
    Shorty! wrote: »
    Just wondering what the signs were for depression. How can you tell that someone is depressed, not just blue or down in the dumps?

I can tell ya what my symptoms were when I was suffering with depression. I was tired all the time and slept for most of the day, hardly ate, cried for days or cry myself to sleep, was quite paranoid about going out and people seeing me and i found it really difficult to get up and have a bath or shower or comb my hair some days.

But as some people have said, everybody is different and suffer differently.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote: »
    I can tell ya what my symptoms were when I was suffering with depression. I was tired all the time and slept for most of the day, hardly ate, cried for days or cry myself to sleep, was quite paranoid about going out and people seeing me and i found it really difficult to get up and have a bath or shower or comb my hair some days.

But as some people have said, everybody is different and suffer differently.

I was the same.

But then if I was around my friends and people I knew I'd put on a big false smile and make jokes and stuff... I couldn't help it, I just couldn't show how I was really feeling for some reason.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    But then if I was around my friends and people I knew I'd put on a big false smile and make jokes and stuff... I couldn't help it, I just couldn't show how I was really feeling for some reason.

I did this last year and the only people who knew what was really wrong were the people I'd told. (I think only a few friends of mine knew at the time)
  • Options
    what is happening??

My mum does not feel well since some time.She feels desperate and she can't figure out what she must do to come out from this "disorder" she really can't do anything to feel less stress...Is it possible that she may be suffering from depression??I was told that clorazepate can be taken to reduce anxiety. I went online to order it but each time I click on the submit button I get this page http://www.drugdelivery.ca/controlled-substances.aspx I am used to ordering medicaments from this online Canadian pharmacy but I can't understand why I'm getting this page???
  • Options
    You're diagnosing and prescribing for your mother ? :eek: Not a good idea as you're not a doctor. You need to get a proper diagnosis and the correct treatment (medication/therapy) for her. Faffing about with something you don't know about and picking drugs out of a catalogue is not going to help her. She needs to see a professional.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    You're diagnosing and prescribing for your mother ? :eek: Not a good idea as you're not a doctor. You need to get a proper diagnosis and the correct treatment (medication/therapy) for her. Faffing about with something you don't know about and picking drugs out of a catalogue is not going to help her. She needs to see a professional.

:yes: Absolutely.
  • Options
    Ok I'll try to convince her to go to a doctor!!!Thanks however for your help!!
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I did this last year and the only people who knew what was really wrong were the people I'd told. (I think only a few friends of mine knew at the time)
    Yeh my partner was the only person who knew the true extent of my depression at the time - I blocked every one else out - didn't answer my phone etc.