Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Can I Get With Prescription Costs?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You might be able to find out if you're eligible for any benefits here

Just warning you now... It's really hard to get Incapacity or Income support. Are you well enough to go to school at the moment? Because if so, then you're unlikely to be considered unwell enough to not look for a job. It might just be simplest to go on Jobseekers.
    If you are unwell enough for school and whatnot, then income support would be your best route.

(Oh, and when I was applying for benefits last year I'm pretty sure it was £8000 or more.)
    It's £16,000
    Lu_C wrote: »
    You might be able to find out if you're eligible for any benefits here

Just warning you now... It's really hard to get Incapacity or Income support. Are you well enough to go to school at the moment? Because if so, then you're unlikely to be considered unwell enough to not look for a job. It might just be simplest to go on Jobseekers.
    If you are unwell enough for school and whatnot, then income support would be your best route.

(Oh, and when I was applying for benefits last year I'm pretty sure it was £8000 or more.)

Thanks. I am able to go to school, but do find the workload very stressful (even though it is only 2 and a half days a week) and same with my work placement. (which is 2 days a week)
    katralla wrote: »
    What was she living on if she stayed at home to look after you?

My dad had/has a job...
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    You do automatically get free prescriptions whilst pregnant and for the first year after giving birth.

Maybe now, I was born in 1985. Anyway, what you said is all well and good if you only don't work for a year. What after that? Kids can magically look after themselves at age 1?
    It's probably assumed after the first year, most women would go back to work.
    Sofie wrote: »

So the NHS make their policies based on assumptions?

Not to sound uh, stuck up, but in the area I live, most mums do what mine did with their kids. None were too fond of kids being raised in day care while they were out working for some extra cash.
    Sure it was £8k in savings when I got the form at uni last year, if they've doubled it then I'll have to have another shot!

Ask at local pharmacies, health centres, dentists, opticians etc, they often have the massive form you have to fill in to get assessed for help with prescription costs if you are low income. I think its called HC1 but I could be wrong. If the don't have it you can ring up and ask for one.

In the meantime you will have to pay, although if you ask for the special receipts and it turns out that you are eligible for help then you can claim a refund, but only if you get the special receipts (you have to ask for them, and they are A4).
    Sure it was £8k in savings when I got the form at uni last year, if they've doubled it then I'll have to have another shot!

Capital limits

No help is available if a person has capital/savings of more than:

£21,000 if a person lives permanently in a care home, £16,000 in any other case.

From here
    No, you get a slap of the head purser and a hot, steaming bowl of cream of fuck all :D

Or that exclusions due to other benefits would kick in then instead. The exclusion for pregnancy is based on clinical need, rather than social...
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    No, you get a slap of the head purser and a hot, steaming bowl of cream of fuck all :D

:lol:

Apparantely, I'm not entitled to incapacity benefit as it's a contribution based thing.

Rahcie - I guess it does depend on what you mean by 'my work makes me stressed'.
    :lol:

Apparantely, I'm not entitled to incapacity benefit as it's a contribution based thing.
    If you would qualify for incapacity benefit due to health reasons but don't as you haven't contributed enough then you can get Income Support due to incapacity. I had to get signed off due to ill health as soon as I left university and hadn't paid enough national insurance contributions so that's how I know :)
    Cheers. I spoke to my tutor today who said that I'm registered at school until September.