Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

whats the best way to get there?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i'm going to glasgow for 10 days to see some friends and i really can't get my head around how i can get there

i've got 4 options

Fly: with ryan air costs around £45 without any checked in luggage which means that there is a lot i can't bring, but it will only take 1 hour
Train: which costs around £60 which will take 6 hours and i can take whatever i need
national express: will cost £30 but take me 8 hours
mega bus: will cost £25 and will also take 8 hours

if i fly i then also need to spend £8 on the bus
it i go by train i need to go across london and the same with the buses...

which should i do? and how can i cope with 8 hours on a bus?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i would fly in this situation.
  • Options
    since when do you have to pay extra to check in luggage. I have flown ryanair and easyjet - stansted to glasgow many a time, and ive always checked in luggage.
  • Options
    When you compare the prices don't forget to consider how much it costs door-to-door. You might find a taxi to the airport is more than the flight!
  • Options
    Train is bearable but I havent done it since i was about 15 - pretty much since they started doing the budget flying thing. sooooooo much better.

WHATEVER you do, dont go by coach. Add on at least an hour or two for what they say the journey time is on the coach. Its an absolute nightmare sitting on a coach for that long. At least on a train you can get up and move around a bit.

I would fly.
  • Options
    since when do you have to pay extra to check in luggage.
    I don't know when it first came in but it's a new "scam" by the airlines to make more on cheap flights, it was in the papers quite a bit over the last few weeks. Sometimes they charge £5- £8 per item checked in according to the paper I read.
  • Options
    I would fly, there are loads of airlines fly the route. Try easyJet, ba or bmi. There should be some good deals. Ryanair fly to prestwick which is further out than Glasgow international.

Train takes far too long and the buses are even worse. Fuck climate change, just take the plane :D
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Many of the Glasgow trains take less than 5 hours now plus if you buy cheap advances you can get £17.50 tickets each way which is a bargain.
  • Options
    How did I know JsT would be in here holding his "I wuv trains" banner? :D

I have to second the train though, in seriousness. I can't imagine flying inland and I find trains more enjoyable but I'm probably in the minority there. Is nice to be able to take all your stuff with you, too, and not be accosted with metal detectors etc (not that I've got anything to hide!)...
  • Options
    well, i used to carry a pen knife around with me untill it got nicked by the pigs at waterloo, not that i would take it with me anyway....

by train it would have been 57.60, with my rail card, and then i'd have to pay more to get to the harbour once i got to glasgow, so i bit the bullet and got the plane which was only a few quid cheaper, and i've got my bags in as well, so it should be all ok...

can't wait now! :D
  • Options
    is that just budget airlines or all of them?
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    FlyBE were the first to introduce charges for checked in baggage and seem to be proud of it

Yeah fuckers charged me for two bags before. They didnt think of telling me before i booked, they kept that a suprise for the airport.
  • Options
    Fly
  • Options
    DO NOT GET THE BUS.

Last year the heating got stuck on the nightbus in the middle of August and I sweated for 9 hours without a wink of sleep and I had work the day after. Absolute nightmare.

I'm going to be up and down from there from now on, so I'll probably end up flying budget tbh and I'd advise you to do the same :yes:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    DO NOT GET THE BUS.

Last year the heating got stuck on the nightbus in the middle of August and I sweated for 9 hours without a wink of sleep and I had work the day after. Absolute nightmare.

Fuck, thats my idea of hell. I cant even stand 6 hours on the train unless its the overnight sleeper.

Flyin is the only way for me, dont care what the green brigade have to say about it. I used to fly every week between London and Edinburgh, there and back in the day, no way i could have done that on the train.
  • Options
    I was busing it, London to Glasgow twice a week, and it was RARELY late tbh, 15-30min norm, sometimes 1hour, but rarely, any more than an hour you get a FULL refund from megabus if you ask, Also got it when the heating got stuck on a Megabus journey up north, little did we know at the time Laura was preg, not nice...

Like I said TT, Fly, Train to Killwinning (you don't even leave prestwick airport to catch the train) change for Adrs hbr :) the boat
  • Options
    When you arrive at Glasgow Prestwick airport...which like most Ryanair airports is a fair bit out of the city it claims to be :p you can get the train to Glasgow Central station directly from the airport. It runs every half an hour and takes 50 minutes. If you present the conductor on the train with your Ryanair booking reference you get the train ticket for half price which makes it about £3.00 to Glasgow. Just a wee tip :)
  • Options
    Ahh forgot bout this, but she's heading the otherway to killwinning and ardrossan harbour
  • Options
    Go by train.

If you fly, you would have to get their way in advance and then just hang around waiting for your plane, so it'd take more than the 1 hour and be all fiddly.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Ahh forgot bout this, but she's heading the otherway to killwinning and ardrossan harbour

So not Glasgow at all then as the original thread says then! Have a good visit though :D

To the OP- you still get half price rail travel to anywhere in Scotland with the Ryanair booking so don't forget to show them it!
  • Options
    Train.

What with getting to airport, checking in, probably buying stuff in airport, it will end up taking a long time.

Try www.megatrains.co.uk

I went to Edinburgh for £9 last year (£8 to Manchester, then £1 to Edinburgh).
  • Options
    I've been on a coach for 10 hours before which was torture (it was £18 return I couldn't say no) I'd definitely say fly.
  • Options
    TBH, I don't think going by coach is that bad. (24 hours on a coach to Berlin was hell though)
  • Options
    Don't take the bus. It's hell. I did it after my visa interview last year, and I would rather chew off my own nipples than go through that again....

I'm heading down to London next week, and I booked a train ticket down. £84 return, but I don't get patronised by security guards, I don't have to strip down to my socks, I don't have to take my belt off, my laptop out of my bag, be searched a bunch of times, have every security guard stare at me like I'm about to blow the place up, be there 2 hours before take off, get out and back from the cities via train anyway, and generally be miserable for a day.

Instead, I can sit back and relax, with a table in front of me, do some work on the way down, chill and arrive in the centre of London without any drama, and I don't have to strip :)
  • Options
    i have to say, that after doing Portsmouth to faro (portugal) when i was 9 and being very ill with food poisoning from santander to at least the border, and the getting bitten really badly by mozzies and then getting whopping cough, i have been very put off traveling by coach or car for a very long way...though i've done malaga to barcelona a few times, which isn't to bad

it's all booked now, i think i've said that already. i'm really looking forward to going! :D