You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

going a performance degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
my singing teacher believes that i'm more than capable of getting on to a performance degree, which is fantastic...

and i'd love to do a performance degree, but a, i'm a bit scared because i think people will just laugh at me, and b, is it worth it's salt?

this would be a popular music degree rather than classical, i couldn't put up with 3 years of singing in latin...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it's what you want to do and you think you'll enjoy it - then go for it. I think it's a fantastic thing to do, not sure I would have the confidence to even try. Good for you... Are you interested in a performance career then?
    orginally that what i have always wanted to do, but i didn't think i was go enough and i didn't think it would really get me anywhere in the long run...it's not a particularly safe career, but i'm not sure how safe sound engineering is either
    Have you had a look at any careers relating to sound enigneering yet?

Can't remember the name of the site (might remember it later) but there's a list somewhere of the jobs you can do if you have a certain degree.
    apart from being a sound engineer? there are many areas i could work in as a sound engineer, TV, theatre, radio, location, animation, ect...i know about that lot...

In my dreams i'd have a course that included performance, tech, music business and music sociology...but i would be hard pushed to find one...
    Have you looked into the various performance degrees around? You may well find that some of them entail quite a lot of the practical side too.
    In my dreams i'd have a course that included performance, tech, music business and music sociology...but i would be hard pushed to find one...

why? in any degree in the uk you usually have a choice of modules you can take in similar areas to what you're studying in addition to your main which makes your degree
    im doing a classical performance degree next year. The degree isnt actually worth much in itself, but the tuition is the most important thing. Because when I go for auditions for orchestras after ive finished music college, they will look at how I play, not my qualifications. I dont know if it is the same for popular music. I would suggest its harder to get into a career in popular music as more people do it so its harder competition. And thats a bit narrow minded of you to think that classical singing is just latin.
    i know it's not just latin, its much more than that, i was classicaly trained for 3 years, but i've decided that it really isn't for me...

ummm i shall have to re-assess my options