Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

He thinks I’m being insecure? am I?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend and I have been dating for 10 months. He's the father of 2 boys (10 & 12 years old) and I have an 11 year old daughter. We don't live together. To make a long story short:

We have the kids every other weekend, and on those weekends his ex-girlfriend's (not the mother of his boys) son is with us. He's always in communication with this ex, mainly because of the fact her son is with us or my boyfriend a lot (she has a 11 yr daughter as well). My boyfriend claims that her boy and his boys are really good friends. He even picks her son up from practices at times and takes care of him when she needs a sitter (mind you, apparently she has a man). I feel there's more going on here, like he wants to keep ties with her and still has feelings for her. It's just bizarre.

He keeps ties with all of his ex-girlfriends. Supposedly they remain friends.

Another incident: he lent a different ex a few hundred dollars (she also has boyfriend). On 28/5 he gets a text from another ex which read "Happy holidays, always on my mind, your friend- xyz", and she's married.

We also take care of his ex's (the mother of his sons) 2yr old son (from a different man) when she needs a sitter.

He's very good to me, but it seems he cannot let go of old ties. There has to be boundaries, but obviously he doesn't have any. I have discussed my concerns with him and he brushes them off as being my problem, that I need to get over it, that i am insecure, and that it's perfectly normal to remain friends with your exs.

I totally question the intentions of these relationships he's maintaining. Are they friends with benefits, or just friends? I'm trying to be patient and open minded, but I question whether I have jealousy issues or if my concerns are valid and his relationships with his exs are a little bizarre.

Comments

• Options
    Okay i read the post but it didn't sink in due to the way you have written it and many more will say the same. Any chance you could type it in full words as it's SO hard to read.
  • Options
    hi I have edited it so it reads a little better. you advise or input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I still don't understand it, what's with all the question marks?
  • Options
    Ok to cut a long story are you saying that your current boyfriend is seeing the mother of his children often and you are concerned that there is more to it than just friends i.e a sexual relationship. You have confronted him and he is calling you insecure so you are now asking whether we would be worried in your situation?

Is that correct or have i misunderstood?
  • Options
    re -read it again, I've edited it . we're dealing with several X's
  • Options
    sorry about that, don't know what happened. I've revised it again
  • Options
    It's still pretty tricky to read, it's coming up with ? all over the place, possibly in place of another punctuation mark.

Anyhow, it sounds like the connection with his exes is more to do with the kids, babysitting, picking up from clubs they go to etc, and keeping his kids in touch with their old friends, and him not vanishing out of the lives of his exes kids.

To me that doesn't sound unreasonable, he comes across as a nice guy who cares about people and has the maturity to be able to keep in touch with people even after things haven't worked out.

If you are expecting him to cut all ties with any previous partners, especially when there are other connections like kids, I personally think you are asking a bit much.
  • Options
    I can see why you are jealous as i would be if my partner was seeing ex's. Unfortunately though he has had children with these women so it's never going to be black and white.

He sounds like a decent guy with innocent intentions. He wants to spend time with his children and either way it will always involve contact with his ex's.

I think you are being a little insecure about the situation but i don't blame you for that, but if you want to stay with this fella long term then you will have to overcome that jealousy.

Have you ever met these women?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there, I hope you don't mind but I edited it to remove the random question marks - if you pasted from another document that will explain them. :)

Anyhow, I agree with this:
    Anyhow, it sounds like the connection with his exes is more to do with the kids, babysitting, picking up from clubs they go to etc, and keeping his kids in touch with their old friends, and him not vanishing out of the lives of his exes kids.

To me that doesn't sound unreasonable, he comes across as a nice guy who cares about people and has the maturity to be able to keep in touch with people even after things haven't worked out.

If you are expecting him to cut all ties with any previous partners, especially when there are other connections like kids, I personally think you are asking a bit much.
  • Options
    witty35 wrote: »
    My boyfriend and I have been dating for 10 months. He's the father of 2 boys (10 & 12 years old) and I have an 11 year old daughter. We don't live together. To make a long story short:

We have the kids every other weekend, and on those weekends his ex-girlfriend's (not the mother of his boys) son is with us. He's always in communication with this ex, mainly because of the fact her son is with us or my boyfriend a lot (she has a 11 yr daughter as well). My boyfriend claims that her boy and his boys are really good friends. He even picks her son up from practices at times and takes care of him when she needs a sitter (mind you, apparently she has a man). I feel there's more going on here, like he wants to keep ties with her and still has feelings for her. It's just bizarre.

He keeps ties with all of his ex-girlfriends. Supposedly they remain friends.

Another incident: he lent a different ex a few hundred dollars (she also has boyfriend). On 28/5 he gets a text from another ex which read "Happy holidays, always on my mind, your friend- xyz", and she's married.

We also take care of his ex's (the mother of his sons) 2yr old son (from a different man) when she needs a sitter.

He's very good to me, but it seems he cannot let go of old ties. There has to be boundaries, but obviously he doesn't have any. I have discussed my concerns with him and he brushes them off as being my problem, that I need to get over it, that i am insecure, and that it's perfectly normal to remain friends with your exs.

I totally question the intentions of these relationships he's maintaining. Are they friends with benefits, or just friends? I'm trying to be patient and open minded, but I question whether I have jealousy issues or if my concerns are valid and his relationships with his exs are a little bizarre.

Any better?
  • Options
    That's the cap he only has children (two boys) with one of the women. the other exes are just that ex's with kids or two of them I mentioned do not have kids...hello.he just still talks to them. but at any rate scary monster's input is somewhat accurate. he is a really nice guy and does genuinely cares about people and especially children. but i have to admit the whole constant communication with his exes just irritates me. not for fear of loosing him or anything it just gets on my nerves. I just need to let go and let God....LOL!
  • Options
    thank you helen
  • Options
    perfect..thanks a million. you are da bomb....LOL!
  • Options
    Hang on.

He cares about the children he fathered and supports them, he cares about the children with whose mother he had a relationship and still helps them out?

Most women would kill for a man who took responsibility seriously.

Do you have anything else which suggests that his relationship with either women isn't just about the kids they have shared?
  • Options
    he is only the father of the children (two boys) of one of the women. the other ex's boy is kid not his. not to mention the other two women he is contact with don't even have children.
  • Options
    Have you spoke to him about this yet?

:yes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Have you spoke to him about this yet?

:yes:
    I have discussed my concerns with him and he brushes them off as being my problem, that I need to get over it, that i am insecure, and that it's perfectly normal to remain friends with your exs.
  • Options
    I have discussed my concerns with him and he brushes them off as being my problem, that I need to get over it, that i am insecure, and that it's perfectly normal to remain friends with your exs.
  • Options
    Well, if his kids are friends with his exes kids, then I don't see the problem with him staying friends with his exes.
  • Options
    witty35 wrote: »
    he is only the father of the children (two boys) of one of the women. the other ex's boy is kid not his. not to mention the other two women he is contact with don't even have children.

So he's in contact with them. What suggests that it isn't just because they are friendly? Why does it have to be sexual?
  • Options
    So he's in contact with them. What suggests that it isn't just because they are friendly? Why does it have to be sexual?

My thoughts exactly. Do you have a problem with him being friends with members of the opposite sex or something?
  • Options
    no I do not have a problem with him having friends of the opposite sex. what I do have a problem w/ is they are his exes and at one time they did have a "sexual relationship". i don't fear that he's gonna leave me or anything. I just feel there has to be bounderies. I think it's inappropriate for him to lend money to his ex who has man. she should be asking her own boyfriend for money and him knowing that shouldn't be ecouraging it as if it's the right thing to do. she's asked him on more than one occasion. it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    Just because they're his exes doesn't mean there's something going on between them.
  • Options
    Sorry but it seems to me, from what you've said, that he has a point.

You seem to have a problem with his history and you do come across as being a little insecure about how he feels about you - almost as if you are comparing yourself with them.

Fact is that he is with you, in a "proper" relationship with you and not them. I'd say that it speaks volumes in itself.
  • Options
    i agree with what everyone else has said but I'd add that I personally couldn't deal with that situation. I am too insecure for that and I'd constantly feel paranoid. However, that doesn't change the fact that the rational part of me would accept that he seems to be a nice, responsible guy who isn't doing anything wrong.

basically I think you need to accept that he's being the good guy and ask yourself whether you can cope with that. I know I couldn't - but most people could.
  • Options
    This is a continuation to my last post, He thinks I’m being insecure? Am I? My boyfriend received anther txt message from one of his ex's that read "I'm better now that I know that you alive; or at least that your girlfriend isn't around at the present time." which was obviously in response to a txt he sent her. Then this morning at 7:45 am she send him another picture txt saying "Happy Monday, thinking about you, XOXO." WTF!!! I asked him & he tried 2 brush it off saying "Don't wrry about it she's been txting me lately. It's no big deal.” Mind you this women is married. I think it's totally inappropriate. While I do want 2 trust him & believe that it is nothing & it's an old flame trying 2 get in again, I can't help but think something is going on. whether inappropriate conversations or something more. Not 2 mentions she had originally started txting him lasts week say” happy holidays, always thinking of you, your friend-xyz.” I brushed it off last week thinking nothing of it. That is was nothing more than an old friend reaching out, then she send the other two txt including the one that came in this morning. Now am I trippin?