Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Giggs Retires from International Football.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6703359.stm

I'm gutted, absolutely. He is old i suppose and Wales won't qualify for Euro 2008. It's such a shame he never got to perform in an international tournament. I've got to see his last game on Saturday. My worry is that there is noone around to replace him.:nervous:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Good news for United fans.

I'm not Welsh so I don't really care, other than to say that, like Bestie, it's a shame he never got to show off his skills at a tournament...
  • Options
    Meh, he had to at somepoint.

We seemingly can only produce one or two "superstar" players each generation, and apart from being cheated out of a Euro 2004 place by the Russians, lets be realistic about it, we're very unlikely to ever qualify for a tournament unless the Euro Championship is expanded.

I'm more worried about the quality of the youngsters coming through than Giggs retiring. On paper we have a squad that's as strong as Norn Iron or the Republic but they can't make that step up like in 2002-2004.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote: »
    Meh, he had to at somepoint.

We seemingly can only produce one or two "superstar" players each generation, and apart from being cheated out of a Euro 2004 place by the Russians, lets be realistic about it, we're very unlikely to ever qualify for a tournament unless the Euro Championship is expanded.

I'm more worried about the quality of the youngsters coming through than Giggs retiring. On paper we have a squad that's as strong as Norn Iron or the Republic but they can't make that step up like in 2002-2004.

Thats the worrying thing isn't it. We so almost got to 2004 and only lost out because of the Russian drug cheats. I don't think its impossible to qualify. Look at Northern Ireland like to suggest. But yeah we don't have any good youngsters coming through apart from Bale. We have only a handful of Premiership players and they either are not playing regular first team football or Toshack has managed to alienate them (Savage, Oster, now Cotteril)

I don't rate Toshack as a manager either.
  • Options
    He played shit for Wales anyway. Feinging injuries all the time because United had a more "important" match on later that week. A true patriot would choose country over club any day of the week.
  • Options
    he couold only ever be arsed to play for wales when it was a big game, anyway, so nothing much will change. the amount of times he pretended he was injured in order to play for united was unreal.