Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Amazon Marketplace

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
I have lots of academic books that are currently sitting and gathering dust. A lot are current editions, so still worth a penny or two. Trouble is, if I put them on eBay, I probably won't get what they are worth. So I'm looking at Amazon Marketplace.

Has anyone sold anything off there before? Is it easy / difficult? Has anything put you off? Are amazon easy to work with? I have bought from them numerous times without problem, but never sold anything so am looking for experiences.

Or, alternatively, if anyone wants any Primary Education books, then I'm sure we can come to an agreement ;)Just kidding, mods ;)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've sold stuff on amazon, easier than eBay I think. Easy to work with, amazon handle all payments and transfer it to your bank a/c. When it sells you get an email with the address to send it to. I've bought/sold and never had any probs. Lately I seem to use amazon over ebay
  • Options
    They are very easy to list as you just look up the book and the description is already there, you just add a short comment about the condition of your particular copy.

For academic books it seems better than E-Bay as you can list them and they stay listed for 60 days, you don't have to get a buyer within the first week. Also you list for free and only pay a cut if you sell the book (so you can keep listing it if it is so obscure it takes a while to sell).

The only draw back for sellers in my experience is that the postage charged to the buyer is a fixed rate so if it is a heavy book you may make a lost on the P&P so you need to consider this when you decide the selling price of the book. On the other hand if you are selling a light paperback you may actually profit from this!
  • Options
    I think, overall, it sounds like a good idea, tbh. I'll get my books up next week, methinks :D

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Ive sold quite a lot of stuff in the past and i found it very easy and very quick to sell things. One thing which i found good was that they sort the postage costs out for you.
  • Options
    With academic books you might find they sell better at the beginning of the academic year? I've found that when trying to sell my textbooks before.
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    With academic books you might find they sell better at the beginning of the academic year? I've found that when trying to sell my textbooks before.

Yeah, I reckon I will wait a little bit.

With my course, the reading list went out quite early - when the acceptances went out, so I think I will aim for around that time.

Thanks guys :thumb:
  • Options
    Now that is a fucking stonking idea. Someone drag this thread up again in September!
  • Options
    As you don't pay to list (only when you sell them) and you can re-list for free there is no harm in listing them now and keep re-listing them every 60 days until they sell.
  • Options
    good point!
  • Options
    Do books, if they are of current edition and pretty popular and stuff, sell pretty easy?

What does it take to set up an account and sell them on there?

I'm trying to figure out if I'll be better off buying it from school and getting half back at the end of the semester or paying a bit more than half off marketplace and trying to resell it when I'm done...
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Do books, if they are of current edition and pretty popular and stuff, sell pretty easy?

What does it take to set up an account and sell them on there?

I'm trying to figure out if I'll be better off buying it from school and getting half back at the end of the semester or paying a bit more than half off marketplace and trying to resell it when I'm done...

Most popular books sell pretty quickly in my experience. Have a look at what prices some of the books you've got in mind are currently selling for second hand to see what sort of price you could get for them. Also bear in mind that the postage and packing price is standard for a book on Amazon so you tend to make a loss on the postage of a heavy book (but a gain on light paperbacks).

I can't remember the process for setting up an account but it must have been easy enough as I did it.
  • Options
    Is it in the rules that you have to send things via Royal Mail, because there's a cheaper parcel company, which would negate the postage loss on heavier items.
  • Options
    I still haven't got round to doing this yet. I'm bad :(
  • Options
    i been thinking bout selling my books, (i have tons) but it grates on me, i just feel i should keep them ya know, lol start a library, but amazon good yeah? all over good reviews? anyone had a bad experience?>