Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Swelling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
About a year ago i suffered a knee injury where i tore my cartilage and cruitiate ligament...got keyhole surgery and made a recovery...went back to playing hurling and the second match i played my knee just went again...i felt a pop and it swelled up...went to the physio today and he said to keep iceing it to get the swelling down...ive been elevating it and puting ice packs on it but no change...its really pissing me off...the start of the summer and i cant go out or even work...:banghead:
so i guess im just asking does anyone know any good ways of reducing swelling???

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Like he said, repeated icing and elevation. By elevation, it's toes above your nose, not just leg up on a chair....
    If you can take ibuprofen then do so as its an anti-inflammatry.

my ex damaged his cruitiate ligament- the PCL and side one and it ended his football career. It was always going to be weak and at risk of further damage and no operation was available then(about 10 years ago). Anyway he was getting pain and weakness in it and an mri showed it was fraying like a piece of string. so they did an op to rebuild the ligaments 18months ago and its fine now.
    RICE -

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

The best thing to follow with any injury. Rest asap, get an ice pack and compress on the area and elevate the area at the same time.

Hope that helps :)
    Cheers will do!:thumb: