Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

split condom

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has it ever happened to you? basically my point is what can cause i condom to split? it's just that i am starting to see my bf more often and i only had my first time like 3months ago the thing is i am worried in case when we do have sex the condom splits so i was wondering if there was anywa in which it could be prevented? sorry if it sounds stupid :(

Comments

• Options
    using another form of contraception would be wise, and they usually split because the air doesn't get squeezed out
  • Options
    Putting it on wrong can cause them to split. I also imagine using out of date ones would too, as the latex can perish.
  • Options
    Happened to me twice. First time I panicked and got the MAP. Resulted in my parents finding out I was having sex. Not the best week of my life.

Second time I sort of heard a "pop", and told him to pull out because I thought it'd broken. Lo and behold, it had.

Just be careful when you put it on, make sure it fits, and if you do hear an odd sound, tell him to stop so you can check. If you aren't comfortable, then don't have sex, there are plenty of other things you can do that can be fun.

It's also worth considering complementary forms of protection, such as the pill.

If something does go wrong and you want to take the MAP, when I took it it was about £26 from the chemist, so I was forced to go to my GP, but I'm fairly sure the family planning clinic can also prescribe you with it.
  • Options
    Sharp nails, bad luck, contact with stuff that damages latex eg oils.

Generally though avoiding sharp nails, oily stuff and assuming you put it on right then there's not a lot else you can do. If you're in a decent relationship consider a second form eg. the pill, for peace of mind.
  • Options
    not pulling the foreskin back,
    out of date/badly kept (wallet)
    damaged during packet opening.
    contamination by oil/vaseline/butter etc.
  • Options
    there's something I didn't know. how come not pulling the foreskin can cause it to split?
  • Options
    hornet893 wrote: »
    there's something I didn't know. how come not pulling the foreskin can cause it to split?

It can cause it to slip back off.
  • Options
    hornet893 wrote: »

because the foreskin will move during sex, and the condom will move with it. So if the foreskin is at the tip when you put the condom on, during penetratrion that skin will move down - and you'll end up getting the teat stretched over 2-3 inches of manhood - and this is also the area that takes a lot of the rubbing during sex.
  • Options
    putting it on wrong
    using a non-water based lubricant
    doubling up - using 2 condoms at once
    - all can cause them to split
  • Options
    split condoms

i was wondering when i read the articles on this subject, is there such a thing as condoms which have a thicker latex material for to give the extra protection against splitting.
    i know that may sound silly but i would to think that, say my girlfriend forgot to take her pill and my condom split whilst having sex.

you'd think the makers would come up with a better solution
  • Options
    You can get extra-strength condoms, and they tend to be used by gay men because its obviously more important for them that the rubbers don't split.

Most people who split condoms do so because they didn't put it on properly.
  • Options
    they tend to be used by gay men because its obviously more important for them that the rubbers don't split.

this is about to sound really really thick but why is it more important for them....surely no baby's going to happen....?

i'm feeling blonde tonight methinks
  • Options
    lonewolf12 wrote: »
    i know that may sound silly but i would to think that, say my girlfriend forgot to take her pill and my condom split whilst having sex.

If that were to happen she could consider emergency contraception e.g. MAP etc.
  • Options
    this is about to sound really really thick but why is it more important for them....surely no baby's going to happen....?

i'm feeling blonde tonight methinks

Condoms aren't just to prevent pregnancy. They are the best known prevention for HIV too... apart from abstinence
  • Options
    Although you can get a one month course of retro-virals in the event of a high risk exposure. The side effects are supposed to be quite unpleasant.
  • Options
    Less we forget, size does matter as well, Where ever you guys buy things (other than convince stores) will usualy sell sized condoms Trojen magnums are the biggest, then most anything that says for her pleasure usauly means small, then of course regular and every thing in between. Im not sure but there is a site that might not be there any more but they made mesaure size. For Japan the states cananda france and Of coures the UK. I will check and put up the link. *wish me luck as dive through page after page of pr0nz