Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

For a few years I have been feeling really low in energy, can't be bothered to eat much and can't really take routine exercise. The other day in normal conversation my mum brought up the topic of ME, as her sister in law has had it for 19 years. I asked her what it was all about and she explained it basicly to me. I felt like I was experiencing a lot in common with the symptoms of ME, but wasn't too bothered because I was sure I wasn't ill.

Just now I looked up the symptoms on the MEA website and it suprised me how many I felt. I have trouble remembering things (within a few seconds of being told something), concentrating, I sweat alot or not at all randomly, I have had depression and have odd mood swings and anxiety.

I would go see a doctor, but if I actually do have it I will be stuck with a label for quite a while and I think that could make me worse. Do you think I should forget about it for a while and see how things go, or go see a doctor and maybe make myself worse, or maybe get help?

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Can't answer your question, but if you don't eat much, then you won't have that much energy.
  • Options
    Also what you eat will effect your energy levels..
  • Options
    If you've got abnormally low energy levels and a small diet then it would be worth seeing a doctor anyway.

The ways to manage ME are mainly a healthy diet, a good reigieme and regular exercise, handily these are good for everyone so getting into that would be a good start.

It's up to you whether you see your doctor about ME, about your general health or not at all, but remember the only people who are going to know what they say are you and the doctor so it can only become a 'label' if you let it.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Can't answer your question, but if you don't eat much, then you won't have that much energy.
    :yes:
    icey wrote:
    Also what you eat will effect your energy levels..
    :yes:

try eating better and see if your energy improves
  • Options
    If you've got abnormally low energy levels and a small diet then it would be worth seeing a doctor anyway.

The ways to manage ME are mainly a healthy diet, a good reigieme and regular exercise, handily these are good for everyone so getting into that would be a good start.

What scary monster said is true, but bear in mind that if you have the onset stages of ME, then regular exercise may not be the best solution as it can make you feel worse.

Initially, you need to visit the doctor. They won't diagnose you on your first visit anyway, they will run a battery of tests to make a diagnosis - ME is diagnosed through elimination rather than anything else, and a lot of other illnesses mimic ME symptoms - thyroid problems, for example.

If you are diagnosed from that, then you can cross the bridge about whether you tell people about it or not then. I had severe ME for a year (it was off school, couldn't walk sort of ME) so i had no option, but if you're still functioning then you don't have to tell people - it depends if you need their understanding.

Depression can also not only exacerbate ME but cause symptoms similar to it - lethargy, low energy and inability to concentrate. Might be worth mentioning that to the doctor as well.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Alot of what you have just said are also symptoms of thyroid problems, and probably many other things so don't try and work out whats wrong, go see a professional.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Alot of what you have just said are also symptoms of thyroid problems, and probably many other things so don't try and work out whats wrong, go see a professional.

Yup! In school my best friend and I had the same symptoms... turned out I had thryoid problems and she had ME!