Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alcohol to carry new health warnings

Good old alcohol. Just about all of us love a bit of drink every now and then, whether it be a shandy, a pint of Carling, or maybe a few shots of vodka. Such is my love affair with ethanol that any story about it gets my attention. Here's the latest.

Aunty BBC tells us that: "Warnings to drink sensibily will be introduced on alcohol by the end of 2008 under a voluntary agreement between ministers and industry. The labels will include the words such as 'know your limits' or 'drink responsibly' and include details of the amount of units each drink contains..." Click here for the story >>

OK, fair enough. I've little problem with giving people more information about how strong a drink is. And, to be honest, I've always found the units system rather complex to follow. I doubt I'm alone in that. But this is the real question. If you knew exactly how many units you were drinking, would you change your drinking habits? Or would you just ignore any such guidance?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People still smoke, don't they?

That's a "no" then...
  • Options
    [QUOTE=stargalaxy;1989370 I've always found the units system rather complex to follow. I doubt I'm alone in that. [/QUOTE]

eh? think you might be!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    katralla wrote: »
    eh? think you might be!

Was bout to say. Its hardly rocket science.

Stronger drinks have more units.

More units you get more pissed.

Pretty simple really...
  • Options
    While the units sytem itself is (was?) pretty simple, remembering how man units a particular drink is can be quite difficult - so having the number of units on the bottle would help - but I thought they already did that.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    While the units sytem itself is (was?) pretty simple, remembering how man units a particular drink is can be quite difficult - so having the number of units on the bottle would help - but I thought they already did that.

Yeah they already do, because I know that the bottle of tequila I had last night had 19 units in it. :D But I think it's gonna be a whole "Drinking more than so many units can reduce your sexual potency, but increase your chances of getting to use it" or similar. I don't know if it's just on small bottles and wine though. Presumably they won't be putting it on £1000 bottles of whisky?
  • Options
    I prefer drinking non alcholic drinks most of the time. They're cheaper and nicer and don't make me feel ill. In all honesty its peer pressure for me. My mates are drinking so I just have a pint of whatever lager is on offer. I have drunk J2Os before on nights out though, spent less than £10 including the takeaway!
  • Options
    What about if you order a spirit and mixer? They're not gona be able to put the number of units on that are they?

Personally I wouldn't pay any notice anyway.
  • Options
    why aren't they going to be able to do it?
  • Options
    why aren't they going to be able to do it?

on the glass?
  • Options
    on the bottle itself per shot? lol
  • Options
    on the bottle itself per shot? lol

well whos gona be looking at that on the bottle? Especially when its upside down.
  • Options
    well I'd guess they'll sell it pubs printed so its visible when upside down? lol

you just dont get it do you.. there there
  • Options
    I'll there there you!
  • Options
    wahey
  • Options
    In all honesty, I know that I drink far more than my recommended unit allowance when I go out so it wouldn't really make much difference to me. My recommended unit allowance is apparently 2-3 units, which is what, 3 single vodka and mixers? I've been known to drink almost a whole bottle in a night before, which I'm already well aware isn't good for me thanks.
  • Options
    If I'm just drinking alcohol and no drugs then I drink an average of 10units and I'm pretty wasted on that.
  • Options
    How about sensors on bottles, cans and glasses in pubs/clubs that can tell when a person is over a certain limit and it gives the person an electric shock?
    I'm not serious I think I'm a bit sadistic mwahaha.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    lea_uk wrote: »
    How about sensors on bottles, cans and glasses in pubs/clubs that can tell when a person is over a certain limit and it gives the person an electric shock?
    But it could work! :p
    Like the thing they have in cars!
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »

:lol:
  • Options
    If cigarettes carry a health warning it makes sense for alcohol and unhealthy foods to also carry a warning.

Of course everybody knows smoking, drinking and eating to excess can be unhealthy. Warnings are patronising and unnecessary. Parents and teachers can inform children about healthy lifestyles. Adults meanwhile should be free to choose to drink or smoke without being told something they already know.
  • Options
    If cigarettes carry a health warning it makes sense for alcohol and unhealthy foods to also carry a warning.

Food now has those traffic light type rating things. However, it's not on all foods.:chin:
  • Options
    does anyone ever really pay attention to those warnings? i think not
  • Options
    I don't.
  • Options
    we're too much of a nanny state if you ask me
  • Options
    we're too much of a nanny state if you ask me
    Until someone sues a company for not telling them that smoking would fuck up your lungs, drink would fuck up your liver, and eating fatty food every day would fuck up your heart....
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Food now has those traffic light type rating things. However, it's not on all foods.:chin:
    That would be because not all of the manufacturers agree with this system, and as such, have refused to sign up to it. For example, cheese, a perfectly healthy product gets a 'red' rating under the traffic-light system due to its high fat content. A different system is practised by Tesco on its own brand foods, where they state the carbohydrate levels, amount of fat, salt levels etc. I far prefer that system, truth be told.

This could also be a problem with the new alcohol health warnings. Many companies have not signed up to the idea, so I suspect we could see many different kinds of warnings appearing on bottles and cans.
  • Options
    _42972927_alabel.jpg

fixed
  • Options
    Until someone sues a company for not telling them that smoking would fuck up your lungs, drink would fuck up your liver, and eating fatty food every day would fuck up your heart....
    The solution seems simple: hang all the ambulance-chasing lawyers and anyone who tries to take the piss by trying to sue manufacturers for not telling them the obvious.

Oh, if only we could... :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    hang all the ambulance-chasing lawyers...
    What a beautiful image. :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The solution seems simple: hang all the ambulance-chasing lawyers

Of stick warning labels on them...?

"This lawyer could seriously damage your sense of personal responsibility"