Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

**spoilers ahead*** Dr. Who's episode tonight

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Did anyone watch it?

Seriously, seriously good. Gripping and fantastically well written. Can't wait for the conclusion next week.

Those who missed it should watch the catch up (can't remember when it is or in which channel, but they do show it). Best Tennant episode for sure.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It was superb. Very different compared to everything in the 'new' Dr. Whos. Those scarecrows beat the clockwork things from last season as the freakiest Dr enemies around.

The conclusion will have to be outstanding to better either Girl In the Fireplace or The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit from last year. The 2006 conclusion aside, they're the two best episodes written so far.
  • Options
    i have never ever watched dr who before - except for tonights
    and i really liked it!!

thought id make an effort seeing as i went to the studio and saw the sets and everything last week :D the tardis is awesome!!
    i touched one of the knobs on it tho and it fell off :blush: woops
  • Options
    Was very fantastic! The Scarecrows, the idea of the Doctor having to go into hiding, the emotional frustration of Martha to be his "serveant" and suffering racism and watching him fall in love with another woman.

Of course, i think this 2 part story will go down as a very good one... up there with the Dalek and cybermen stories we have seen so far in the past.
  • Options
    It was really good. I can't wait for the next one. I did like his sketch book with all the images including past incarnations! I do prefer Tennant to Eccelston as The Doctor.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I do prefer Tennant to Eccelston as The Doctor.

Yup, i am very much in agreement with you on that! Infact i personally think he is my favourite Doctor with the exception of John Pertwee and maybe Tom Baker... maybe!
  • Options
    That's a damned big "maybe" there Bullseye.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It was really good. I can't wait for the next one. I did like his sketch book with all the images including past incarnations! I do prefer Tennant to Eccelston as The Doctor.

God, definitely.

And I much prefer Martha to Rose. Rose was just annoying :/
  • Options
    Thought it was a great episode - and very telling that it's the first to be based on a Doctor Who book written in the long gap between the original and the new series. Great that they got the novel's writer to adapt it for the screen (Paul Cornell). To be fair it is supposedly seen as leagues ahead of other Dr Who writing, but may point towards a great direction for further stories.

To be frank, whilst Davis vision for the show has been great his actual writing has been pretty weak, and very low-brow - a big disappointed given the quality of his work on Queer as Folk and the Second Coming...

I know that one of the few criticisms of the book was that it had no really effective bad guys, so the scarecrows addition clearly improved that.

Anyway main point is it was a superb episode and given it's an adaption of a complete story that a writer has had the time to improve it will hopefully keep up the same level of quality into the conclusion. We may have something to rival The Satan Pit after all - actually, sod that, we may end up with something to rival City of Death or Inferno...
  • Options
    Well I don't know how many people saw it but I thought the second part was quite possibily the greatest single episode of Dr Who
  • Options
    I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the first part, but it did quite nicely didn't it...

A very profound and thought-provoking one. Specially when the woman tells him he is a coward because he would not change, while John Smith had the gulls to die.

Good to see the darker side of the Doctor as well when he deals with the Family.

Keep 'em coming :)
  • Options
    I thought the Villains, Baines especially were brilliantly portrayed!

Frankly i think the darker side of the Doctor has been a theme of David Tennants incarnation. He told the cat people in New New York he was the highest power and has been refered to as a "God like! authority and so force.

But the way he punished the Family of Blood was truly awesome!

PS- Does anyone else prefer this Companion to Billy Piper, or is it just me?
  • Options
    Yeah, I think she's great, so no idea where the current hate campaign from the Sun against her is coming from.

Just one 'doctor-lite' episode then it's time for John Simm (but is he playing who everyone thinks he is?)
  • Options
    There is a hate campaign? I have missed that. I much prefer her to Rose. Rose was a bit wet, IMHO.
  • Options
    She shounded like she had a wet rag in her mouf. It was almost unbearable to watch.

The new girl is much better. I like her. And her crazy mom :p

I actually didn't like the episode that much. They really could have condensed it into one. The first half was really drawn out and dull.
  • Options
    Fantastic episode - the bit where John Smith see's his future and then gives it up was fantastic and the end where he utterly destroys the family and leaves them trapped for eternity sent shivers up my spine.

There's been some fanastic episodes over the years, but I'm really struggling to think of any which topped this...
  • Options
    Those where the best episods I've seen from Dr Who so far. I prefer the new assitent more then rose as well.

The last couple of series I've disliked/got bored with some episodes. Have loved every single one so far.
  • Options
    Proof positive (if anyone needed any...) that no special effects in the world can beat a good story.

The only episode since the series was relaunched that I can think I enjoyed nearly as much as the two-parter one with Eccleston based in WWII in which people with gas masks fused to their faces start appearing all over the place. IIRC the episode in wich Captain Jack makes his first appearance actually. Another well written episode in which CGI were secondary to the plot.

But still not as good as this one.

Look forward to next week's 'don't blink or you're dead' one... sounds interesting.
  • Options
    That gas mask one wasn't that good, it was ok, but if Tennant had been the Doctor at the time it owuld have been much much better!

Sorry to all you Ecclestone fans, but i didnt like him as the Doctor that much.
  • Options
    Oh it was good. I can't beleive its almost the end of the season already. I'm looking forward to the rest though. :)

I bought 'The Five Doctors' on DVD the other day. It was pretty good, if i bit dated looking. ;)
  • Options
    Oh it was good. I can't beleive its almost the end of the season already. I'm looking forward to the rest though. :)

I bought 'The Five Doctors' on DVD the other day. It was pretty good, if i bit dated looking. ;)

I still have the copy I recorded off the TV when it was first shown, which has twenty minutes of Children in Need and a very young looking Terry Wogan at the start before it goes into a clip of William Hartnell...

My original video of Star Wars from the TV has adverts for the Atari TV game and Smash adverts :shocking:
  • Options
    Quantum enemies: GENIUS! :)

Tonight's episode was outstanding.
  • Options
    Quantum enemies: GENIUS! :)

Tonight's episode was outstanding.

Without exception, this series has *all* been outstanding. Best season so far IMO. Last season had some gems, but this year, they have all been fantastic. I hope they can keep this up.
  • Options
    was brilliant love doctor who
  • Options
    Inanimate objects like Statues and Ventriliquist dummies coming to life is Just SCARY! *shudders*
  • Options
    I actually hid behind a cushion tonight. Scary shit :o
  • Options
    Bloody blimey brilliant!

Great episode and pretty much a masterclass in telling a scary story well, but still being just on the point of what's acceptabel for the audience.

Thought the dalek episodes were a bit weak this year, but other than that it's been a great series - and this episode was incredible.
  • Options
    Ok i love Doctor Who. Almost to an obsessive level. Its the only thing i watch on TV at the moment and i really really loved last series and sobbed my heart out when rose left. HOWEVER. This series while totally different because i loved the love story between the doctor/s and rose I LOVE this series even tho most weeks its scaring the shit out of me. AM i alone in saying that i have been VERY reluctant to blink tonight? cass :O) xx
  • Options
  • Options
    Is John Simms the old guy in next weeks episode or the Young Guy playing Mr Saxon in a couple of weeks... because i keep forgetting which actor is called which name. I Don't know why, but all through this series of Dr Who i have had a mental block with remembering the actors real names with the exception of David Tennant of course.

Also, did anyone else LOVE the fact it was a Dr Who story in which it showed how, the Doctor has these adventures and impacts people's lives with out even knowing about it or realising it and so causes ordinary people to have their own adventures. It also got me thinking, how many people are caught up in aliens and demons and monster situations when the Doctor isn't even around at all?

Also, did anyone else see Dr Who Confidential on BBC3??? It was KICK ASS!
  • Options
    Oop, I'll have to grab confidential, it's been a bit weak this year so haven't bothered this week.

John Simm is the actor who played the main role in Life on Mars and in the past in shows like The Lakes, it's quite a coup getting him for Dr. Who (especially if he's playing who it looks like).

He's the guy hammering the table in the extended trailer of this half of the season (in a really, really chilling moment) - so looks like he might not appear until the very last episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtcCkg5KsRc