Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lung Capacity

I need to get more excercise going on in my life as currently my most athletic activity seems to be walking to work :blush: I've been looking into stuff online about the best way about going things, and have been lurking in the gym rats thread too picking up tips. I was talking to my Mum about it and she said I should probably work on increasing my lung capacity before embarking on a regular excercise regime which is a really good point, as I get out of breath really quickly and have done since I was really young (I had some crappy respiratory stuff going on as a baby/toddler). So how can I try and increase my lung capacity so I'm not puffing and panting and out of breath when excercising? I don't and haven't ever smoked, so suggesting giving up wouldnt help too much :p Any tips gratefully appreciated :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Billie from Neighbours used to go for a daily swim to help his lungs/asthma. Our chlorinated pools might make this counter productive though? Are you sure you still have low lung capacity, have youused one of those peak flow monitor blowy things? You might just be getting out of puff quickly because you are not fit yet.
    Nah I have one of those peak flow meter things and even the docs say my lung capacity is shite. My unfitness probably doesn't help matters though.
    Swimming is meant to be good for lung capacity but I think in general any kind of aerobic exercise will help improve things. Did your doctors not have any suggestions after doing the test?
    Not really because I've been doing them since I was a small child, so its not something new, just something I've decided to take action on. If aerobic excercise is what will help though, I shall do that. I might even bite the bullet and face my issues about myself and go swimming, as I do enjoy it :)
    Swimming is supposed to be good for it, and don't worry about your image, if you aren't incredibly overweight, old, wrinkley and wearing a baggy see through swim suit/trunks then you'll look fine.

(You get plenty of people fitting the above description in pools and compared to that anyone vaguely human looks fine) :thumb: