Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Favourite musicians.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So whatever your music, who are your favourite musicians/bands?

For me, in Hardcore, it's Sharkey as an MC and Sy as a producer/DJ.
In D'n'B it's Hype and MC Shabba D.

ETA: As everyone else is doing big lists, I'll add some more...

MC/DJ Sharkey
Sy
Scott Brown
Unknown
Kevin Energy
Brisk
Scorpio
Druid
Gammer
Darren Styles
MC Wotsee
MC Whizzkid
MC Smiley
MC Storm
DJ Hype
Andy C
Brockie
Friction
Ruff Stuff
Nicky Blackmarket
MC Shabba
MC Eksman
MC Fearless
MC Yardie
MC Fun

Plus many more...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    my favorite changes often, but i'm quite into amon tobin at the minute. its quite cool. the guy went out around the world with foley microphones and recorded loads of sounds like ants talking to each other and stuff and mixed it. fantastic!
  • Options
    Jim Morrison.
    Morrisey for lyrics even though he's a twat.
  • Options
    Beethoven
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Beethoven

Pah. Doesn't even play his own instruments. :p
  • Options
    Pah. Doesn't even play his own instruments. :p

:lol: He could mix some banging tunes though :thumb:
  • Options
    To many to mention but here are a few.

Armin Van Burren
    Above & Beyond
    Kyau & Albert
    Dogzilla
    Markus Schulz
    Blank & Jones
    Luminary
    Motorcycle
    Blake Jerrel
    Those Two Guys

Makoto
    Future Engineers
    PBK
    Mykra
    Drum Origins
    Skeema
    Subwave
    Electrosoul System
    Logistics
  • Options
    Sviatoslav Richter
    Rachmaninoff
    Franz Liszt
    Scriabin
    Eric Himy
    Stephen Hough

Bit more modern,

Muddy Waters
    Robert Johnson
    Lightning Hopkins
    Bowie
    Pete Townshend
    Paul Simon
    Lemmy
    Dave Mustaine
    Angus / Malcolm Young
    Dimebag Darrell
    Les Claypool
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Congo Natty
    Sharkey
    Paul Elstak
    Prodigy
    Levellers
    The Streets
    Barrington Levy
    Paul Simon
    Blondie

Just a few of many.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Be Your Own Pet,
    Kate Nash,
    The Smiths,
    Help She Can't Swim,
    Death From Above 1979,
    He Is Legend,
    M.I.A.,
    Placebo,
    Queens Of The Stone Age,
    Alexisonfire,
    Kasabian etc.

Tons and tons.

Dizzee's earned a place back on my favourites list after Friday's gig :D
  • Options
    Interpol, The Strokes, Chemical Brothers, Ben Kweller, Ben Folds, Ben Folds Five, Mew, Andrew Bird, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, !!!, Billy Joel, Daft Punk, Weezer, The Shins, Arcade Fire, We Are Scientists, Libertines, Shiny Toy Guns, Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Editors, Death Cab For A Cutie, CSS, The Kinks, The Velvet Underground, The Small Faces, The Cure, Death From Above 1979, Neil Young, The Kills, The Rapture, The Sounds, The Rakes, Does It Offend You, Yeah?, The Blow, Vitalic, The Clash, Bjork, Sia, The Beatles, The Fratellis, MSTRKRFT, Uffie&Feadz, SebastiAn - The EdBanger crew'll do!, Eels, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Miss Kittin, The Pigeon Detectives, Sigur Ros, Massive Attack, The Bluetones, Suede, Dananananakroyd, Imogen Heap, 1990s, Soulwax, Idlewild, Biffy Clyro, Mogwai, Ladytron, Good Shoes, Death In Vegas, Rumble Strips, Bloc Party, Errors, The Chalets, Incubus, Billy Joel, The Jam, The Pipettes, Patrick Wolf, Felix Da Housecat, Shitdisco, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Cooper Temple Clause, Shout Out Louds, Dinosaur Jr, The Reindeer Section, Zero 7, The White Stripes, and Cold War Kids to name a few...
  • Options
    Not absolutely sure if "musicians" is the right word for these people, but what else do you call people who make music that millions of people around the world dance to each day? There's too many to mention, so here's a select few;

Aaron McClelland, Axwell, Cedric Gervais, Chris Lake, D Ramirez, Dave Spoon, Digitalism, Dirty South, Fedde Le Grand, Funkagenda, Henrik B, Laidback Luke, Mark Knight, Micky Slim, MSTRKRFT, Oliver Giacomotto, Robbie Rivera, Seamus Haji, Sebastian Ingrosso, Sebastian Leger, Steve Angello, StoneBridge, Switch, The Trophy Twins, Thomas Bangalter, Tocadisco, Vandal...
    Makoto wrote: »
    Motorcycle
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that an alias of Gabriel & Dresden?
  • Options
    Yeah it is Gabriel & Dresden plus Jes Brieden.
  • Options
    My top ones are probably Pulp, Beck and The Ramones.
  • Options
    Not so much musicians or acts I like, more tunes. Most of them probably aren't proper musicians, but face, bovvered?

Roger Sanchez, James Morrison, Belinda Carlisle, Lightning Seeds, Elton John, Elvis Costello, Sinatra, Will Young, Three Degrees, Badly Drawn Boy, Jason Donovan (wicked live btw), Busted, Girls Aloud (yes, including the people who produce the melodies) and Westlife (for the vocals if not writing the tunes) :thumb:
  • Options
    Bob Dylan, Jeff Buckley, Tim Buckley, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Velvet Underground, Kinks, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, Massive Attack, Radiohead, Flaming Lips, Stone Roses, Sigur Ros, Mew, Bright Eyes, Idlewild, Decemberists, Deftones, Metallica, The Shins, Sufjan Stevens, Arcade Fire, Weezer, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, PJ Harvey, Bloc Party, Air, Royksopp, Bjork, Smiths, Prodigy, Libertines......all I can think of right now.
  • Options
    Tocadisco
    Dirty South
    2manyDJs
    Soulwax
    Sasha
    Switch
    Booka Shade
    Mylo
    Coldplay
    Oasis
    Mark Ronson
    Prodigy
  • Options
    Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, Paul Simon, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Leonard Cohen, Nils Longfren, Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane, Big Star, Nick Drake, The 13th Floor Elevators, Love, The Beatles, Stones, Who, Hendrix, Small Faces, Kinks, Stone Roses, The Doors, Jim Noir, John Cale, Gentle Giant, Loreena McKennitt, The Earlies, Tim Buckley, A Tribe Called Quest, The Pretenders, Teenage Fanclub, Belle & Sebastian, I Am Kloot, The Beta Band, Lou Reed, Dusty Springfield, Jimmy Cliff, David Bowie, The Smiths, PJ Harvey, Pigeonhed, Bjork, Depeche Mode, Sneaker Pimps, Michael Jackson, The Specials, Garbage, Pulp, Tom Paxton, Buffalo Springfield, Nat King Cole, Cake, Neil Young, Portishead, CCR, Gram Parsons, De La Soul, The Pixies, Otis Redding, Johnny Cash, Woody Guthrie, Doris Day, Stevie Wonder, Radiohead, Mr Hudson & The Library, Gene Clark, The Decemberists.

Erm... oh and Van Morrison, despite his being a complete twat.
  • Options
    Deftones, Machine Head, Slipknot, Slayer, Children of Bodom, 3 Inches of Blood, One Minute Silence, Royksopp, Alexisonfire, Lynryd Skynryd, Avenged Sevenfold, Coheed and Cambria, Interpol, Killswitch Engage, Mew, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Leftfield, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, The Knife, The Cure, Tool, Jimmy Eat World, Carcass, Dimmu Borgir, Infected Mushroom, In Flames, Biffy Clyro, Aphex Twin, Rage Against The Machine, Funeral For a Friend, Ferry Corsten, Incubus, Pantera, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Satyricon, System of a Down, The Strokes, The Streets, Zyklon, Unearth, Trivium, Yoji Biomehanika, Yourcodenameis:Milo

That's all I can think of just now.
  • Options
    Oh how could i forget the chilli peppers!
  • Options
    John Digweed
    Royal Sapien
    John Tejada
    Fred Everything
    Hipp-e & Halo
    Oliver Huntemann
    Nic Fanciulli
    Stephan Bodzin
    Lexicon Avenue
    Neo Filigrante
    Don Diablo
    Desyn Masiello
    Office Gossip
    Kazell
    Gutterstylz
    Guy Gerber
    King Unique
    Omid 16B

etc..
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Erm...

Belle & Sebastien, Damien Rice, David Bowie, Blur, Ok Go, The Coral, The Kinks, KT Tunstall, Piney Gir, Willy Mason, Dire Straits, Tracey Chapman, The Killers, Incubus (their older stuff at least) Smash Mouth, Pulp, The White Stripes, Radiohead, Bob Marley...
  • Options
    Pulp, Cinerama, The Wedding Present, Inspiral Carpets, Clint Boon Experience, Air Supply, 10cc, Belle & Sebastian
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Interpol, The Strokes, Chemical Brothers, Ben Kweller, Ben Folds, Ben Folds Five, Mew, Andrew Bird, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, !!!, Billy Joel, Daft Punk, Weezer, The Shins, Arcade Fire, We Are Scientists, Libertines, Shiny Toy Guns, Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Editors, Death Cab For A Cutie, CSS, The Kinks, The Velvet Underground, The Small Faces, The Cure, Death From Above 1979, Neil Young, The Kills, The Rapture, The Sounds, The Rakes, Does It Offend You, Yeah?, The Blow, Vitalic, The Clash, Bjork, Sia, The Beatles, The Fratellis, MSTRKRFT, Uffie&Feadz, SebastiAn - The EdBanger crew'll do!, Eels, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Miss Kittin, The Pigeon Detectives, Sigur Ros, Massive Attack, The Bluetones, Suede, Dananananakroyd, Imogen Heap, 1990s, Soulwax, Idlewild, Biffy Clyro, Mogwai, Ladytron, Good Shoes, Death In Vegas, Rumble Strips, Bloc Party, Errors, The Chalets, Incubus, Billy Joel, The Jam, The Pipettes, Patrick Wolf, Felix Da Housecat, Shitdisco, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Cooper Temple Clause, Shout Out Louds, Dinosaur Jr, The Reindeer Section, Zero 7, The White Stripes, and Cold War Kids to name a few...

<3.

i'll just grab mine off my facebook

Frank Zappa, Sonic Youth, Interpol, Captain Beefheart, Q And Not U, Man or Astro-Man?, Death From Above 1979, MSTRKRFT, Refused, Fugazi, At The Drive-In, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Jimmy Eat World, Alkaline Trio, Bad Religion, NOFX, Jim O'Rourke, Tortoise, Cave In, Menomena, Les Savy Fav, The Decemberists, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Minus The Bear, Faraquet, Pixies, Islands, The Unicorns, King Crimson, Patrick Wolf, Elliott Smith, Dandy Warhols, Isis, Pelican, McLusky, Oceansize, Rush, Squarepusher, Four Tet, !!!, Aphex Twin, Jaga Jazzist, Boards of Canada, Brian Eno, Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Olivia Tremor Control, Of Montreal, Pink Floyd, Neil Young.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    <3.

i'll just grab mine off my facebook

Sonic Youth, Interpol, Death From Above 1979, MSTRKRFT, At The Drive-In, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Jimmy Eat World, Alkaline Trio, The Decemberists, Modest Mouse, Elliott Smith, Dandy Warhols, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, Of Montreal, Pink Floyd.

<3 backatchyaHOLMES.

I'd also like to add Ryan Adams, Violent Femmes, Placebo, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Super Furry Animals, Mansun, Sparklehorse, Janis Joplin, Lou Reed, The Who, Hope Of The States, Jeff Buckley, I Am From Barcelona, Antony And The Johnsons, New York Dolls, Eagles Of Death Metal, Oh No! Oh My!, Robots In Disguise, Smashing Pumpkins, Skunk Anasie, Andrew Bird, Datarock, Be Your Own Pet!, You Say Party! We Say Die!, Athlete, Art Brut, Au Revoir Simone, The Cribs, Faithless, Underworld, Forward Russia, Flaming Lips, Guillemots too.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    < Super Furry Animals, I Am From Barcelona, Antony And The Johnsons, Oh No! Oh My!, Robots In Disguise Be Your Own Pet!, You Say Party! We Say Die!, Au Revoir Simone

There are some bands with fucked up names out there.
  • Options
    weezer, stars, jeff buckley, the smiths, elton john, belle and sebastian, bright eyes, joanna newsom, kimya dawson, regina spektor, soko, moldy peaches, flaming lips, modest mouse, deathcab for cutie, imogen heap, archietecture in helsinki etc
  • Options
    Shit, forgot perhaps two of the most innovative and influential musicians of the past 50 years:

Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart)
    Mike Patton
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Dire Straits

I know that you tried to slip that one into the middle, thinking that we wouldn't notice...

For me I am mostly listening to My Chemical Romance at the moment but I am also liking Jamie T. That range should give you an idea of the spread of music which I like, I could have included Bright Eyes, Red Hot Chillis, Green Day, Weezer, maybe a little Aerosmith Hendrix, Manics, Nine Inch Nails, QOTSA, RATM, Radiohead (natch), Talking Heads, The Who (again, natch), Black Crowes, CKY, Fall Out Boy, Clapton (he is, after all, God), and of course Wolfmother... missing uot several in between....
  • Options
    From my facebook:

Pink Floyd, Ramones, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, The Clash, The Doors, The Pixies, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Bright Eyes, Interpol, Arcade Fire, Kasabian, Sigur Rós, Bloc Party, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Sex Pistols, Joy Division, Lou Reed, Stiff Little Fingers, System Of A Down, Rage Against The Machine, Kraftwerk, Prodigy, Felix Da Housecat, LCD Soundsystem, Soulwax, Vitalic, Daft Punk!

I would say my favouritistists musicians of all time are Kraftwerk.
  • Options
    Offspring, Fall Out Boy, Funeral for a freind, Lostpropehts, Artic Monkeys, Audioslave, Chris Cornell, Blink 182, Bowlig for soup, Finch, Good Charlotte, Head Automatica, Inme, Keane, Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, Slipknot, Somehing Corporate, The Cure, The Streets, Will Young